Search

Luxury Food tour of Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
Luxury Food tour of Taipei

Does such a thing exist?
Looking for a day or an evening of food places to visit and try. If during the day, then a walking food tour would be very welcome.
If evening then a few recommendations for outstanding local food dishes / places or bars with good views of the city and ambience.

Anything that is luxury - it will be my parents first time in Taipei and I'm looking for something different.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I had a client you went on a Taipei Eats: Food Tours and really enjoyed it. Their website details several tours, but I'd think if you contact them and specifically ask for a luxury food tour that they might be able to whip something up.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Cards1234
Does such a thing exist?
Looking for a day or an evening of food places to visit and try. If during the day, then a walking food tour would be very welcome.
If evening then a few recommendations for outstanding local food dishes / places or bars with good views of the city and ambience.

Anything that is luxury - it will be my parents first time in Taipei and I'm looking for something different.
Not sure what you mean by luxury food tour. Luxury food as in high-end expensive fine dinning? Taipei as a gourmet city is not exactly comparable to Hong Kong and Tokyo. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have good food. IMHO, the best food in Taipei are the "non-luxury" type, ie local food chains, street eats and speciality restaurant. My favourite is Shin Yeh restaurant, they served authentic Taiwanese food not found outside of Taipei.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I guess I’m looking for both a bit of upmarket food but also food specific to Taiwan. Will take a look at SHIN YEH restaurant.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I guess I’m looking for both a bit of upmarket food but also food specific to Taiwan. Will take a look at SHIN YEH restaurant.
Luxury and Taiwanese cuisine don't intersect much. Taiwan's most famous foods are typically street market fare which you'll just have to get your hands dirty for.

That said, Shin Yeh also gets my vote as far as 'table cloth'-type Taiwanese restaurants. Fortunately for your stated preferences, they have a branch on 85F of Taipei 101, which provides excellent views.

Could also consider the Aoba (Chin Yeh / Green Leaf) restaurants in this category. Possibly Ming Fu, which recently got 1*, although I've always thought it was an uppity tourist trap.

There are a lot more options as far as luxury restaurants that have a farm-to-table Taiwan ingredient focus (this is one area in which HK/SG cannot compete with Taiwan) - but those restaurants will not feature traditional Taiwanese dishes.

EDIT: as Shin Yeh at the 101 has closed, sadly. Still recommend its "terrestrial" branches.

Last edited by gengar; Aug 13, 2020 at 10:52 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:17 am
Original Poster

I'm interested in the ideas of farm to table. Any suggestions for one or two such places? Either lunch or dinner.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I'm interested in the ideas of farm to table. Any suggestions for one or two such places? Either lunch or dinner.
Ephernite (dinner only) would be my top pick in this category, with the caveat that they do source some ingredients for some dishes from elsewhere. The exec chef used to work at L'Astrance.

Not in Taipei, but Shen Yen teppanyaki in Yilan (lunch and dinner) is another personal favorite. You will need to arrange transportation (~1hr drive from central Taipei; could pair with a trip to Kavalan distillery).

RyuGin (**), Chou Chou, Tarroir (*), Savor, MUME (*), Yen, and RAW (*) are a couple others in this category. I've only been to the last three but I didn't like them nearly as much as others seem to.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I don't believe there's that much "luxury food" in Taiwan, as most of the good food in Taiwan are casual street food.
A lot of the good restaurants tend to be more casual too. The upscale restaurants tend to be Japanese cuisine.
There are also a couple of higher end hot pot and Japanese barbeque places but nothing that's really "luxury"
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
It's not a tour but try this link and see if anything interests you. I've heard of Raw, the others not sure ...

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3394485
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I don't believe there's that much "luxury food" in Taiwan, as most of the good food in Taiwan are casual street food.
To be clear, there are plenty of "luxury" / "fine dining" restaurants in Taiwan. They're just not Taiwanese food.
Dave510 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.