Search

Resorts with dive centers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Offshore171
Another option I don't think has been mentioned so far is the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda.

The Dive Bermuda dive centre operates out of there. Mostly wreck and reef diving. Bermuda being Bermuda, there are a lot of wrecks, many of them quite historic.

https://www.bermudascuba.com/bermuda-dive-sites/
Thanks, but this is the Luxury Forum. We're talking about 5 star luxury properties with dive centers. Fairmonts rarely are considered to be 5 star or proper luxury hotels in the context of this Forum. When even TripAdvisor lists the Fairmont Southampton as a 4 star property, the jig is up.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The best diving you will find is in the Coral Triangle, roughly from the Philippines to Indonesia to Papua New Guinea and a bit further east. There are a few luxury resorts there, but not a lot. There are some luxury live aboards, the Damai being one. You won't find luxury in the Solomon Islands but it is perhaps the best diving in the world. Sharm is a reasonable compromise between great diving and luxury. Wakatobi is a fantastic dive resort. I've been there twice, planning a third trip in a couple of years. The food is excellent, the facilities very nice and the dive service fantastic. The Seychelles have some small luxury resorts that cater to divers and fly fishermen. You could check them out too. I don't remember the names off the top of my head. I frankly won't waste my time diving the Caribbean any more. The fish are gone, the corals are dead. (I have more than 1000 dives, my son is a dive master, I travel to Southeast Asia to dive two-three times a year).
bhrubin, landing and hypnos8 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:26 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
How about chartering the Aman boats in Indonesia? There are other liveaboard options too, many cheaper than Aman, some more expensive.

Additionally, while the resort gets mixed reviews (and again based on if you like this style or not) Bawah Island might be something to consider.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
How about chartering the Aman boats in Indonesia? There are other liveaboard options too, many cheaper than Aman, some more expensive.

Additionally, while the resort gets mixed reviews (and again based on if you like this style or not) Bawah Island might be something to consider.
I haven't been able to get any real sense of the quality of diving around the Bawah island, surprisingly. It's not in an area where I'd expect the bigger pelagic life I most appreciate, but that doesn't mean they can't be there. The website is descriptive, but I don't know if I can trust it.

Any diving testimonials on the island?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks, but this is the Luxury Forum. .
I hear you. You mean something like the Aman Sveti Stefan...?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Offshore171
I hear you. You mean something like the Aman Sveti Stefan...?
HAHAHAHA I assume you're in on the recent stay thread there?

Hopefully, the standard for this Luxury Forum still will be higher than those recent experiences.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

alila purnama does a number of destinations and books cabins, presume aman charters can go anywhere

does a lot of coral triangle not have large pelagics? on the other hand, shipwrecks are unrelated to wildlife

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.