FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1906260-london-hotel-recommendations-newer-consolidated-thread.html)

jp-mco Feb 4, 2019 2:04 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 30736294)
jonjparr wrote: "You will find a little bit of tweed goes a long way in London hotels"

OK, this cracked me up.

It really does! Pair jeans with a tweed jacket, shirt and brown shoes and suddenly you’re smart casual!

offerendum Feb 4, 2019 2:09 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr (Post 30736972)

It really does! Pair jeans with a tweed jacket, shirt and brown shoes and suddenly you’re smart casual!

and with cords and a tie you even fit the Ritz-dresscode;)

jp-mco Feb 4, 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30736978)
and with cords and a tie you even fit the Ritz-dresscode;)

I’ve never stepped foot in the Ritz - don’t think I ever will given their stuffy dress code. Besides, there are far far better hotels in London.

offerendum Feb 4, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr (Post 30736984)

I’ve never stepped foot in the Ritz - don’t think I ever will given their stuffy dress code. Besides, there are far far better hotels in London.

I see, we have something in common;)

Kagehitokiri Feb 4, 2019 11:27 am

ritz (and savoy?) did downgrade their dress codes some

Originally Posted by newfrequent (Post 30734242)
hotel serviced apartments opening in the next few years in Mayfair
- Mayfair Park Residences (Dorchester Serviced Apartments)
- Four Seasons Grosvenor Square
- Mandarin Oriental Hanover Square
- Peninsula London (just outside Mayfair I know)

sold hotel residences including townhouses, first two have no hotel rooms.
land was available, hotel brands want the revenue and marketing to owners.
peninsula owns their development, presumably dorchester owns theirs too

obviously these would follow existing MO considering sale prices there

scented Feb 4, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30738540)

OT: Pen deviating slightly from current model, considering smaller properties and go asset light while retaining 'trophy' properties in tradition.

Kagehitokiri Feb 4, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30738722)
OT: Pen deviating slightly from current model, considering smaller properties and go asset light while retaining 'trophy' properties in tradition.

100% - hong kong / new york / chicago / tokyo / london 2021
~75% - manila / beijing / yangon 2021
50% - shanghai 2009 / bangkok / istanbul 2020
20% - paris 2014 / beverly hills 1991
(aug 2017 their bangkok partner exercised option to buy 25%)

newfrequent Feb 4, 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30738540)

just seems like there might be an oversupply.

Dorchester and MO are being developed and owned by Clivedale (India Bulls).

Kagehitokiri Feb 4, 2019 1:36 pm

2017 80 MO - only 50 rooms
2016 37 FS - first non hotel
2015 18 dorchester - next to 45 park lane, first non-owned after dropping geneva
2013 24 > 28 peninsula
announcement timing, peninsula sales may be years away

older >
6 > 7 bvlgari

what are current resale prices at MO hyde park

SethLevy Feb 4, 2019 1:41 pm

I have to say that I had my first stay at the Lanesborough this past weekend. It was only a 1 night stay at a mistake rate of BP 350 (on the LHW site). I do not dress up when I travel, am African-American and not small in size. I will say, my clothes, shoes, watch, luggage are on the expensive side - but overall dress I very casual. Including flip flops (regardless of weather). I note I did take them off and put regular shoes for the check-in (only b/c I was on a mistake rate). Welcome and check-in went great, upgraded to DLX Room with walk-in shower, given full LHW amenities, and was extended late check-out to 6 pm - which I did not require. Butler was very nice - but I did not use him during my stay. Room service was great - two attendants delivered food on a cart that had to be carried up the two stairs from the entry foyer. Service was always with a smile and at no time did I feel like they looked down on me given the low rate, race, size, dress, style, looks, etc. I was very impressed with this hotel and my stay. I am staying there again on the same mistake rate in March for 2 nights ad will see if anything changes.

Contrast this to my experience at the Shangri-La London, who asked me every time I entered the building could they help me or what did I want. I was asked to show my key at one point to proceed to the guests elevators from the lobby level (despite the fact you need the key in the elevator to press your floor).

Kagehitokiri Feb 4, 2019 1:46 pm

wonder if Lanesborough due to abu dhabi ownership, was well regarded prior to oetker under st regis and rosewood, also wonder if oetker and st regis were really interested in getting the contract

for FS it was a brand element under founder

newfrequent Feb 5, 2019 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30739064)
2017 80 MO - only 50 rooms
2016 37 FS - first non hotel
2015 18 dorchester - next to 45 park lane, first non-owned after dropping geneva
2013 24 > 28 peninsula
announcement timing, peninsula sales may be years away

older >
6 > 7 bvlgari

what are current resale prices at MO hyde park

Do you mean One Hyde Park, as I'm not aware of any residences within the MO Hyde Park?

A friend recently rented in One Hyde Park for about £7k a week on a 12m contract for a 3 bed.

scented Feb 5, 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy (Post 30739084)
Contrast this to my experience at the Shangri-La London, who asked me every time I entered the building could they help me or what did I want. I was asked to show my key at one point to proceed to the guests elevators from the lobby level (despite the fact you need the key in the elevator to press your floor).

Shangri-La has a tourist problem, don't think has to do anything with being racist. They are suffering from their (skyscraper) location.

Kagehitokiri Feb 5, 2019 11:33 am

very easy for staff to enforce rules without behaving poorly
yet often (always?) rules are not enforced on everyone...

unfortunately some treat 'everyone' poorly, not 'discriminating'

SethLevy Feb 6, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 30741975)
Shangri-La has a tourist problem, don't think has to do anything with being racist. They are suffering from their (skyscraper) location.

They only seemed to stop the people of color (i.e. the darker people of color). I was stopped each time, and once I was with 3 non-minorities, and I was the only person asked where I was going in the group.

scented Feb 6, 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy (Post 30745518)
They only seemed to stop the people of color (i.e. the darker people of color). I was stopped each time, and once I was with 3 non-minorities, and I was the only person asked where I was going in the group.

Very unfortunate. I hope you articulated your displeasure to senior management?

chinmoylad Feb 6, 2019 9:35 am

Off topic from the current discussion, but any of the Londoners heard of/visited/stayed here?
The Arts Club Hotel

offerendum Feb 6, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy (Post 30745518)

Not nice, I would definitively complain.

MacMyDay Feb 6, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30746192)
Off topic from the current discussion, but any of the Londoners heard of/visited/stayed here?
The Arts Club Hotel

Yes, Mrs. MacMyDay stayed last year. Without me! The nerve. Apparently, very nicely decorated, similar to Beaumont, small rooms, and main benefit is you get access to the private members club, so it feels very private and exclusive.

newfrequent Feb 6, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 30746192)
The Arts Club Hotel

I haven’t stayed but got a tour of the rooms as a member when they opened them. Really well appointed rooms and the club is generally great, however it gets quite busy late at night on the weekend (till 3am in the basement) which people may find offputting. The Lanserhof gym is opening soon, I’m not sure if residents would have access but it looks fantastic.

It doesn’t look like the rooms get booked up that much as they’re extending the Japanese restaurant into one of the hot room floors.

Kagehitokiri Feb 7, 2019 2:24 pm

ah, lanesborough MD opened hotel in 1991, left july 2018. that's continuity.
thecaterer.com/articles/519952/exclusive-geoffrey-gelardi-to-step-down-as-md-of-the-lanesborough
londonhotelsinsight.com/2009/08/26/is-this-londons-most-accomplished-hotelier

“Hoteliers love to say ‘no’ if it means they are following the rules. And for me there are no rules. You make them as you go along, with the best interests of the hotel and guest at heart.”
that is the best discussion re saying no that i have ever heard

jp-mco Feb 8, 2019 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30751412)
ah, lanesborough MD opened hotel in 1991, left july 2018. that's continuity.
thecaterer.com/articles/519952/exclusive-geoffrey-gelardi-to-step-down-as-md-of-the-lanesborough
londonhotelsinsight.com/2009/08/26/is-this-londons-most-accomplished-hotelier

that is the best discussion re saying no that i have ever heard

Couldn’t agree more Kage! Geoffrey Gelardi is a legend!

chinmoylad Feb 8, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 30746431)
Yes, Mrs. MacMyDay stayed last year. Without me! The nerve. Apparently, very nicely decorated, similar to Beaumont, small rooms, and main benefit is you get access to the private members club, so it feels very private and exclusive.

Originally Posted by newfrequent (Post 30747569)

I haven’t stayed but got a tour of the rooms as a member when they opened them. Really well appointed rooms and the club is generally great, however it gets quite busy late at night on the weekend (till 3am in the basement) which people may find offputting. The Lanserhof gym is opening soon, I’m not sure if residents would have access but it looks fantastic.

It doesn’t look like the rooms get booked up that much as they’re extending the Japanese restaurant into one of the hot room floors.

Thanks both! Looks very promising.

returnoftheyeti Apr 8, 2019 11:38 am

Does anyone know anything about Sea Containers London? It popped up on the Amex Travel site for me and it looked interesting.

Thanks,

KatW Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am

clubeurope Apr 18, 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 30978589)
Does anyone know anything about Sea Containers London? It popped up on the Amex Travel site for me and it looked interesting.

Thanks,

It was until recently, a Mondrian hotel. Then it went independent

TGLoyalty May 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Hopefully the regular posters in here can help looking at a two night stay this weekend if you could choose between

Kimpton Fitzroy
IC Park Lane (AMB Night Free)
Sheraton Grand Park Lane
JW Marriot

Rosewood London (seem to be some cheap rates on discounters)
FS Ten Trinity

Or somewhere else that's actually special for less than c£500 a night what where would you stay? Ideally need to be short walking or driving distance to St Pauls, Kensington and Park Lane

(I'm leaving a gap between the first 4 and the last two as I know they aren't really in the same bracket or maybe they are an I don't know it)

offerendum May 20, 2019 2:37 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty (Post 31117948)
Hopefully the regular posters in here can help looking at a two night stay this weekend if you could choose between

Kimpton Fitzroy
IC Park Lane (AMB Night Free)
Sheraton Grand Park Lane
JW Marriot

Rosewood London (seem to be some cheap rates on discounters)
FS Ten Trinity

Or somewhere else that's actually special for less than c£500 a night what where would you stay? Ideally need to be short walking or driving distance to St Pauls, Kensington and Park Lane

(I'm leaving a gap between the first 4 and the last two as I know they aren't really in the same bracket or maybe they are an I don't know it)

Only Rosewood and FS are luxury. Only knew IC from this list and while location is good the hotel isn´t.

TGLoyalty May 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 31118851)
Only Rosewood and FS are luxury. Only knew IC from this list and while location is good the hotel isn´t.

I understand that and why I split the list as only the last two are luxury but looking for some advice on either other recommendations or which you’d pick between the last two.

offerendum May 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty (Post 31120370)

I understand that and why I split the list as only the last two are luxury but looking for some advice on either other recommendations or which you’d pick between the last two.

I booked the FS Trinity for my upcomming stay and it was this time mainly between Lanesborough, Rosewood and FS. In the end style of FS (not so impressed by Rosewood and it lacks a pool), the possibility to book 8 nights in a row during the time I like to stay and value were the main factors. I know especially RichardInSF had bad stays at FS but I decided to give it a try.

fishy21 Jun 20, 2019 1:08 am

Any reviews of the Rosewood? I’m debating between Rosewood and Savoy... leaning towards Savoy because they have a pool.

But I will stay at Rosewood if service is better and rooms are better kept. Would love to hear experiences. Thanks.

BESVISOR Jun 20, 2019 3:54 am

Originally Posted by fishy21 (Post 31221307)
Any reviews of the Rosewood? I’m debating between Rosewood and Savoy... leaning towards Savoy because they have a pool.

But I will stay at Rosewood if service is better and rooms are better kept. Would love to hear experiences. Thanks.

Rosewood is very mixed on reviews from my experience. Some clients have great stays, some have poor ones. Service is a bit inconsistent. Rooms are okay but no "wow" factors, really. But Rosewood Elite does allow upgrade at booking, so that's been a plus.

Savoy is okay and service has been good from what I've heard but really don't book them much so it's a small data pool to pull from.

The Connaught and The Lanesborough is where I suggest/book the most and have great feedback. Especially at The Connaught, but would suggest Jr. suites and up. Entry rooms (classic and contemporary) are a bit underwhelming.

Have had one feedback from Belmond Cadogan. Great looking hard product with okay service. But they are new so maybe a few more months to get through the learning curve.

offerendum Jun 20, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 31221557)
But Rosewood Elite does allow upgrade at booking, so that's been a plus.

I thought it´s only on an availability at check-in base.

Valveking Jun 20, 2019 9:08 am

At Rosewood now in a Grand Premier Suite. The room is fantastic and I like the location as a change of pace from Mayfair. The service has been hit or miss to say the least. We have had a couple of big glitches.

BESVISOR Jun 20, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 31222318)
I thought it´s only on an availability at check-in base.

Yes, that's the case for booking via Virtuoso or Amex FHR.

But for Rosewood Elite, it's upgrade at time of booking (based on availability).
I just logged into my Elite account and double checked, still the case. It also has Guaranteed early check in for Elite.

TGLoyalty Jun 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty (Post 31120370)

ended up staying at ten trinity. I had a very good stay booked via a virtuoso agent. Still the lobby/rotunda didn’t really wow me but would stay again at some point.

Pausanias Jun 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Those who follow the Michelin Guide around the world and use it as a culinary yardstick might be interested to know that The Goring has a new restaurant called Siren, masterminded by chef Nathan Outlaw whose place in Cornwall has two Michelin stars and is currently rated by The Good Food Guide as the best restaurant in the UK. Outlaw cooks fish, apparently brilliantly, and in Cornwall offers an 8 course tasting menu only, six courses of which are fishy. I'm relieved to say that the Siren offering appears to be a more traditional menu.

https://www.thegoring.com/food-drink/siren/

BENLEE Jun 21, 2019 6:12 am

Originally Posted by fishy21 (Post 31221307)

Stayed at both. Savoy isn't a favourite here due to the perceived "stuffy" ambience but I really like it. It's classical / traditional. The one bedroom suite is the room type to choose as lower tier rooms are not as nice and won't come with butler service. Recently I switch to Lanesborough due to better location and hard product but might go back there.

I will not get anywhere near the Rosewood even if it's free stay. Creepy hotel with room decor resembling a mental asylum but that's largely personal taste so YMMV.

As a side note, I recently stayed at Connaught and quite like it. F&B is very good.

RichardInSF Jul 11, 2019 7:15 am

In addition to the signs near Hyde Park corner announcing the Peninsula, there are now signs on one of the corners of Portman Square (near Marble Arch) saying that what used to be the Radisson Blu is under renovation to become a Nobu hotel, expected to open in 2020.. I've never even visited a Nobu hotel so I am just guessing it would be regarded as luxury.

EuropeanPete Jul 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 31292345)
In addition to the signs near Hyde Park corner announcing the Peninsula, there are now signs on one of the corners of Portman Square (near Marble Arch) saying that what used to be the Radisson Blu is under renovation to become a Nobu hotel, expected to open in 2020.. I've never even visited a Nobu hotel so I am just guessing it would be regarded as luxury.

It will be London’s second Nobu hotel and would be the third Nobu within about a kilometre, which feels a bit ridiculous! Let’s hope it’s better than the one in Shoreditch. Given the location prices could be £450 or above, but I doubt it will count as a “luxury” hotel by the standards of this illustrious forum.