FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1906260-london-hotel-recommendations-newer-consolidated-thread.html)

Pausanias Dec 24, 2023 2:30 pm

For several years now Andy Hayler has been claiming The Ritz Restaurant to be the best restaurant in London. It is certainly just about the only one that offers classic French cuisine . . . and the room is simply amazing,

SP03 Dec 24, 2023 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 35847501)
For several years now Andy Hayler has been claiming The Ritz Restaurant to be the best restaurant in London. It is certainly just about the only one that offers classic French cuisine . . . and the room is simply amazing,

I think the food is underrated there. Absolutely delicious food with impeccable service. I’m surprised it doesn’t have two stars (other than it lacks some originality and chef celebrity).

offerendum Dec 24, 2023 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by bzado (Post 35846951)
I would say when it comes to dining within hotels in London, Darroze is a solid option. In terms of memorably poor experiences, I would vote for Dorchester’s Ducasse as particularly mediocre and Mandarin’s Heston as genuinely appalling. Would be curious to hear your impressions.

I personally don't think much of Darroze, which in my opinion deserves 1 star, but certainly not 3. Ducasse is a nice restaurant and has improved over the years, but it's not really grandiose. Heston is interesting, but quite special. I used to be a fan of Marcus in the Berkeley, but it's now closed. I didn't think Madame Pic was worth 2 stars. So none of the hotel restaurants I know are really great in my eyes.

EuropeanPete Dec 24, 2023 5:16 pm

That’s true, and forgetfulness on my part. The Ritz experience is incredible, though I take offence at having to eat myself silly while wearing a tie.

bzado Dec 24, 2023 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 35847730)
I personally don't think much of Darroze, which in my opinion deserves 1 star, but certainly not 3. Ducasse is a nice restaurant and has improved over the years, but it's not really grandiose. Heston is interesting, but quite special. I used to be a fan of Marcus in the Berkeley, but it's now closed. I didn't think Madame Pic was worth 2 stars. So none of the hotel restaurants I know are really great in my eyes.

3* is certainly a bit much, fair. I do not understand the appeal of Heston, what is it that you enjoyed about it? We were considering Pic but location wise, it is just so far from civilization. Good to know that it probably is not worth the odyssey. Likewise, I still have yet to dine at The Ritz - I have found encounters with sonorous tourists seem nigh unavoidable, though I may brave that based on the glowing endorsements in this thread!

Pausanias Dec 25, 2023 12:41 am

There seems to be a growing trend in London and indeed the UK for Michelin-style, tasting menu places to revert back to much simpler food with real menus. For me this can't come soon enough. Chefs claim the costs of maintaining such establishments - that is, financial as well as physical and stress - have become uneconomical. Marcus closed The Berkeley, Claridge's have parted ways with their celebrity chef, Le Gavroche is closing . . . the culinary landscape is changing.

offerendum Dec 25, 2023 3:56 am

Originally Posted by bzado (Post 35848068)
3* is certainly a bit much, fair. I do not understand the appeal of Heston, what is it that you enjoyed about it? We were considering Pic but location wise, it is just so far from civilization. Good to know that it probably is not worth the odyssey. Likewise, I still have yet to dine at The Ritz - I have found encounters with sonorous tourists seem nigh unavoidable, though I may brave that based on the glowing endorsements in this thread!

Well, Trinity Square is not far away from everything. Depending on where you want to go, the location is even good.
I thought the food at Heston was good, no question. But as I said, the historical dishes make it very special and not everyone's cup of tea. I found it absolutely recommendable for a visit, especially as it was something unusual for a change.

Pausanias Dec 25, 2023 4:08 am

It was always said that two Michelin stars were for the chef, the extra star was for the cutlery, glassware and napkins.

SP03 Dec 25, 2023 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 35848334)
It was always said that two Michelin stars were for the chef, the extra star was for the cutlery, glassware and napkins.

I think you got it reversed. Celebrity of the chef is more or less a requirement for 3 stars. It should be somewhat genre defining.

Two should be an elevated experience, beyond excellent food.

SP03 Dec 25, 2023 4:48 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 35847730)

Whether a restaurant is worthy of 3 stars can be very subjective. Darroze wasn’t my first choice for Michelin dining in London based on mixed reviews. However, it was truly an excellent experience on par with many other 3 stars. So in a way, I’m not surprised it has maintained 3 stars.

I also went to another 3 stars (not in a hotel) this week with very mixed reviews and thought it was worth the 3 stars as well.

Ritz on the other hand, could very well be a two stars.

RichardInSF Dec 25, 2023 6:28 am

OK, time to get back to London hotels, which is the topic of this thread.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

WildTravels Dec 26, 2023 11:35 am

Any specific idea of when the Park Hyatt opens next year in London?

The new year will bring some travel and work around the Nine Elms area..

RichardInSF Dec 26, 2023 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by WildTravels (Post 35851036)
Any specific idea of when the Park Hyatt opens next year in London?

The new year will bring some travel and work around the Nine Elms area..

It's already quite overdue. When I asked folks at the Hyatt Churchill about this on my last stay, the answers seemed to coalesce around June, 2024, as a possible opening date but it was clear that no one that I spoke to knew for sure.

p100a Jan 21, 2024 11:31 am

Trying to decide between the new Pen and a contemporary deluxe room at the Connaught. Any recent feedback?

reigndrop Jan 22, 2024 11:56 am

Originally Posted by p100a (Post 35929104)
Trying to decide between the new Pen and a contemporary deluxe room at the Connaught. Any recent feedback?

what room are you thinking at the pen? i love the Connaught (location, food options, shopping etc.) but the contemp deluxe room leaves a lot to be desired given how small it is