Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious beach resorts in the world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most luxurious beach resorts in the world?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
LOL, so I'm guessing from your handle that you are a Brit and referring to the oft repeated complaint by Brits about people putting towels on a sun lounger by the pool at 7am, to 'reserve' them for the day. Have I got that right?

If I have, here is the solution. Simply ask the hotel if they have any 'sun bed reservation system'. If the answer is no, which is quite likely, you have no problem. Simply look for what are obviously 'reserved' sunbeds with nothing around them to indicate someone is actually using them. Then remove the towel from the sunbed and make yourself comfortable. If someone shows up and says, 'I had my towel on that sunbed', refer them to the hotel management. Let the hotel deal with them.

If the hotel does have a reservation system, then again you have no problem. Simply reserve a bed for your stay. If the hotel says, guests can indicate they plan to use a sunbed by putting a towel on a sunbed but that there is no 'formal' reservation system as such, simply ignore that response and go to plan A.

Having lived in a highly touristed location I am well aware of this belief some people have that they can 'reserve' a bed with a towel. Hotels are obviously well aware of it also. What the hotel and the people putting their towels out at 7am are counting on, is that no one will do anything about it. Stop complaining, start acting and leave the towel people and the hotel with the problem.
Of course that's a way but it shouldn't be necessary at a good hotel.
obscure2k, smc333 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:26 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I dont think being being a celebrity hotspot makes something the best. Just because you are famous and have money, doesn’t mean you have good taste in quality products. Sometimes in fact it is just about the opposite.
Originally Posted by offerendum

Of course that's a way but it shouldn't be necessary at a good hotel.
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Also what is absolutely not luxury for me is having to fight for sun loungers at one of the FS resorts in Hawaii, regardless of how expensive/celebrity endorsed they are.

+1. Regardless of the branding, if you have to ‘fight’ for resources at a resort, it is much too big and hardly luxury. FS lanai seems to be the only FS HI property that doesn’t have that (from reviews at least) and thus the only FS in the state I would consider staying at.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:46 am

LOL, so I'm guessing from your handle that you are a Brit and referring to the oft repeated complaint by Brits about people putting towels on a sun lounger by the pool at 7am, to 'reserve' them for the day. Have I got that right?

If I have, here is the solution. Simply ask the hotel if they have any 'sun bed reservation system'. If the answer is no, which is quite likely, you have no problem. Simply look for what are obviously 'reserved' sunbeds with nothing around them to indicate someone is actually using them. Then remove the towel from the sunbed and make yourself comfortable. If someone shows up and says, 'I had my towel on that sunbed', refer them to the hotel management. Let the hotel deal with them.

If the hotel does have a reservation system, then again you have no problem. Simply reserve a bed for your stay. If the hotel says, guests can indicate they plan to use a sunbed by putting a towel on a sunbed but that there is no 'formal' reservation system as such, simply ignore that response and go to plan A.

Having lived in a highly touristed location I am well aware of this belief some people have that they can 'reserve' a bed with a towel. Hotels are obviously well aware of it also. What the hotel and the people putting their towels out at 7am are counting on, is that no one will do anything about it. Stop complaining, start acting and leave the towel people and the hotel with the problem.
i solidly support this method.

we stayed at a resort in Mexico (not a luxury resort) that had signs stating unattended towels or personal items would be removed after 45 minutes. I was impressed that the staff actually followed the procedure. It was obvious the staff could recognize who was out for a swim or at lunch versus lounge savers.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

I have seen hotels around the Med where the practice of putting towels on beds to reserve them gets to the point of ridiculous. In some cases, to try and stop it, the hotel has staff stack the sunbeds up each night and chain them so that someone cannot take one off the stack, put it by the pool and put a towel on it at 5am.

For me what is most definitely not a 'most luxurious beach resort' is any of the all-inclusive '5 star' offerings. I read one post where someone was saying how great their '5 star' all-inclusive was because the pool side restaurant served processed fish fingers for her kids. I'm trying to imagine a 5 star restaurant that serves pre-packaged and frozen fish fingers. That's why it is very difficult to define 'luxury' as it all depends on how you define 'standard' as a yardstick.

I would say a truly luxury beach resort is somewhere like Necker Island where you rent the entire island with staff. Just you and up to 21 intimate friends, all for just $42,000 per night. That's just under $300, 000 per week. I wonder if they offer a Senior Citizens discount? Necker Island | Luxury Private Island
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

necker will book rooms. i enjoyed low occupancy, having the great house great room to myself

likely most here would prefer north and laucala, unless considering necker last minute low occupancy

(could also have interior bali house to one self, or possibly branson's temple house, if indoor baths etc)

necker emphasis is definitely not on hard product, nor room/bathroom size, nor butler/etc service

necker, north, laucala, fregate, etc = all inclusive rates, like many of the most expensive luxury properties

necker can be booked with miles, but an american blogger made them require virgin atlantic silver status

necker great house seems to have added a few rooms, the other rooms are still being repaired

private rentals of moskito villas (if they survived) should be much less / better value than branson's / necker
MacMyDay likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 23, 2018 at 9:44 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:38 pm

I'm trying to imagine a 5 star restaurant that serves pre-packaged and frozen fish fingers. That's why it is very difficult to define 'luxury' as it all depends on how you define 'standard' as a yardstick.
Any luxury hotel that refuses to serve food that the guest requests - especially when it's for children - doesn't qualify as luxury IMO. A number of five star resorts would be unable to do this, but a luxury one should because a good definition of luxury is 'you get what you want' and it's not for the hotel to judge you on your food choices or children's eating habits, disappointing as they may be. If frozen fish fingers is a standard item on the menu, well, that's another story . . .
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
North Island
Laucala
The Brando
Amanpulo
Many in the Maldives
Whilst we all debate what makes something rubbish, I will throw my hat into the ring and say I agree with this - it just needs Iniala adding. Some may add Fregate too, but I felt it was such a let down in comparison to North Island that I don't think I'd return until they completely refurb the villas. I suppose it will depend what you are looking for.

Outside of the Maldives, a large amount of top-end luxury properties are now all-inclusive. Iniala and The Brando both changed to make it optional, whereas Miavana (ok, not top-end yet, but definitely ultra-priced), Laucala, North Island, Fregate offer it as the only option. I'll be generous and throw Miavana in anyway and give a comparison of them.

Beach
For me, the perfect beach is made up of incredibly soft sand that can be walked on bare foot, ease of access, privacy, views and the colour and accessibility of the ocean. North Island is one of only two resorts I know of that offers an exclusive first-come-first-served beach to its guests, which every guest will have available for at least one day of their stay. On top of this, every villa has direct beach access, and the sand is the softest I've ever experienced. The downside is that the climate changes the beach, so between end of November and beginning of April it moves from one side of the island to the other, thus reducing the amount of sand in front of the villas.

Everyone on these forums has apparently been to Amanpulo. At least 35 times. So we all know how good that beach is.

Fregate has multiple beaches, some of which can be privately booked, and all of them stunning. All the villas are clifftop based, so getting to one is an inconvenience, as you not only have to get to the beach, but it's then a trek down.

The beach outside of Iniala is really nice, but it's let down by not being exclusive use, yet I would still pick it over The Brando, which was just filled with coral, and Laucala, which had similar issues whilst we were there, just they at least try and do something about it.
  1. North Island - yet only April-November
  2. Amanpulo
  3. Miavana
  4. Fregate
  5. Iniala
  6. Laucala
  7. The Brando

Villa
This is a real tough one, as, except Fregate, they are really that good and amongst the best properties I've ever stayed in. Clearly not to everyone's taste, but I love the Iniala design. The sheer space, comfort and facilities are unlike anywhere I've ever been. I was also impressed by The Brando, which is much smaller than competing properties North Island and Laucala, but packs in everything I would want, whilst including more bells and whistles too. Were it just on asthetics, I would have put Miavana higher, as it's a stunning property, but the architects desire to allow a natural breeze throughout the villas by having these chimney-esq holes in the ceiling was somehow devised by people who had never been to a property by the ocean before, even though they had previously designed North Island.

Laucala and North Island go big. They both are very similar in terms of facilities offered, including the huge private outdoor space and use of natural, local materials. Neither are my aesthetic preference, but they are both brilliant villas. North Island wins, as it has more of a focus on being outdoors, whilst not having to suffer non-stop 30C heat.

Fregate is in a desperate need of a refurb to stay competitive, not just to North Island, but pretty much anywhere that charges even half of what they do. They had apparently refurbished the same year were were there, but it certainly was not obvious to me.
  1. Iniala
  2. The Brando
  3. North Island
  4. Miavana
  5. Laucala
  6. Amanpulo - 1 bedroom villa
  7. Fregate
​​​​​​​
Service
Iniala and North Island have both offered some of the best service I've ever had. Interestingly, the GM at Iniala previously worked at North Island. Iniala wins, as on both of my stays the service has been near exemplary, whilst in North Island my first stay had perfect in-villa service, and everything outside was a real letdown - they more than made up for it on the second visit. Amanpulo blew me away on my first stay, yet going back for Christmas '16 I really felt disappointed by all the mistakes, and them giving me a trainee as my villa butler, when he had been working there for barely a week.

I fear for Miavana what will happen since the GM has already left. The service is what held the property together. Fregate offered nothing that stood out, but that is better than sometimes being memorable for the wrong things. Laucala and The Brando both suffered from the inability to get the most simple thing done. I am returning to Laucala in August, so I'm interested in whether they have fixed it. Whilst they both suffered exactly the same issues, Laucala left me feeling angry, whereas somehow The Brando left me somewhat ok with it. Perhaps age has matured me.
  1. Iniala
  2. North Island
  3. Miavana
  4. Amanpulo
  5. Fregate
  6. The Brando
  7. Laucala
​​​​​​​
Food

Both The Brando and Iniala offer fine dining restaurants, and both are exceptional. Yet you have to be impressed that The Brando does it from a private island in the middle-of-nowhere. Even their run-of-the-mill burgers were amongst the best I've ever had anywhere, and don't even get me started on how good their papaya salad really is. The food at The Brando is almost reason to go alone, it really is that good and hugely impressive to achieve it in such an environment.

North Island, Fregate and Iniala have this "anything you want, anytime you want" philosophy of food, so whilst even Iniala has introduced menus now, they all allow you to order in food you want and have chefs prepare it for you. Laucala does offer it too, but they never thought to advertise it to me when I was there, yet even taking this away they do have 5 different restaurants and the food was very good.

The food at North Island was a real disappointment on our second visit, whilst on the first - under a different chef - it was near-perfect. The existing chef was on his way out too, so hopefully they can resolve it. Quite impressive for a country with severe procurement issues and the most restrictive menu I've ever seen, Miavana did a very good job with the food. Once again a sign of how small the industry is, the chef was ex-North Island.

Fregate and Amanpulo appear last, just because I cannot remember enjoying any of the dishes whilst there.
  1. The Brando
  2. Iniala
  3. Laucala
  4. Miavana
  5. North Island
  6. Fregate
  7. Amanpulo

Setting
I'm looking for something unique here. It's not just the colour of the water, or the softness of the sand, but having something about the environment that is special. With North Island, the remoteness and the landscape is exquisite, as is the nature on the island; mostly made up of tortoises, including the 180 year old Brutus. Miavana excelled from the proximity to the incredibly rare black lemurs, as well as the quite literally hundreds of whales we witnessed each time we got in a helicopter - a truly magical experience. As you fly on the 25 minute journey over from the mainland to Miavana, you really can see the beauty of this part of the world.

Iniala is ultimately on a beach in Thailand - it is not going to revolutionise your life.
  1. North Island
  2. Miavana
  3. Fregate
  4. The Brando
  5. Amanpulo
  6. Laucala
  7. Iniala

Facilities
Laucala has a submarine, so we can just all agree now that it wins and by such a margin that everyone else is a loser that cannot be numerically calculated.

Overall
The two properties I most wish to return to are North Island and Iniala.

I used to really love Amanpulo, but I'm not so sure of it after the last disappointing experience; maybe I'll return in a few years, but now I think there are better options that are easier to access. Miavana is not worth the hassle of travel (especially on a half-finished property), even if they did impress in quite a few areas. Fregate needs a refurb and from a luxury prospective offered nothing more than North Island - its main USP is the vast amount of nature on the island.

I hope Laucala has managed to improve, as it's unique in offering what it does, all subsidised by their billionaire owner who truly has no desire to ever make any money and runs it as a project of love. The setting is nowhere near as beautiful as The Brando, North Island, Fregate or Miavana, and the beach whilst we were there was pretty dreadful (apparently due to the cyclone that took place 6 months prior), so I still do not see it as a beach destination, just a private island that happens to have a beach. The activities there are so vast that I'm ok with that.

I also reserve the right to be wrong about all of this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:35 am

I have been to the Soneva Jani Maldives, Velaa Private Island and Cheval Blanc Randheli, All of them are the most luxurious resorts in Maldives! Both Cheval Blanc and Velaa are the most beautiful and luxury place, the best beautifully designed villas, Soneva Jani is an eco-friendly resort with natural environment, Velaa have the best personalized butler service for us in the Maldives. Please see my travel videos on YouTube below (Non-Commercial Advertising) :

Velaa Private Island Maldives 2018

Soneva Jani Maldives 2018

Cheval Blanc Randheli Maldives

Last edited by ChunLinKung; Apr 23, 2018 at 4:08 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:28 am

I really enjoyed reading Macmyday's round-up-de-luxe. A lot of work went into that. The only thing I might add is about the food at The Brando. French Polynesia might seem to be 'in the middle of nowhere' but in fact it has easy access to Papeete which is supplied on a daily basis from France, even Rungis in Paris. Of course some of this might be frozen or chilled (like the Brando's guests) but the quality of the Brando's cuisine doesn't surprise me. Macmyday might catch up with Giles Coren and Monica Galetti's Amazing Hotels which deals in some detail with the Brando's logistics.
FlyerEC and nmuva98 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:14 am

I agree with most of MacMyDay’s comments except about Iniala. We just went there a couple of months ago. The food and beach were great but the villas were in need of reburbishment. Wait until it is reburbished If anyone is considering going.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:04 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Great round up @MacMyDay. Hurry up and do the other top beach resorts/private islands already as we're all awaiting your photos!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Any luxury hotel that refuses to serve food that the guest requests - especially when it's for children - doesn't qualify as luxury IMO. A number of five star resorts would be unable to do this, but a luxury one should because a good definition of luxury is 'you get what you want' and it's not for the hotel to judge you on your food choices or children's eating habits, disappointing as they may be. If frozen fish fingers is a standard item on the menu, well, that's another story . . .
LOL, try going into a Michelin starred restaurant and asking for frozen fish fingers for your kids. But yes, I agree you should be able to get whatever you want if it is really a 'luxury' hotel, but only up to a point. Frozen fish fingers probably aren't to be found in the BVIs where Necker is located.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But plenty of unfrozen yummy fish!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:09 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

LOL, try going into a Michelin starred restaurant and asking for frozen fish fingers for your kids. But yes, I agree you should be able to get whatever you want if it is really a 'luxury' hotel, but only up to a point. Frozen fish fingers probably aren't to be found in the BVIs where Necker is located.
While I enjoy Michelin starred food, I don’t want that every day multiple times per day while on vacation, and I wouldn’t expect a kid to want that either. Good quality home style food is actually probably a plus in many people’s books for a remote luxury resort. Also, maybe not actual frozen fish fingers but the kitchen should be able to make something close from scratch!
KatW, Musken and nmuva98 like this.

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Apr 23, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

While I enjoy Michelin starred food, I don’t want that every day multiple times per day while on vacation, and I wouldn’t expect a kid to want that either. Good quality home style food is actually probably a plus in many people’s books for a remote luxury resort. Also, maybe not actual frozen fish fingers but the kitchen should be able to make something close from scratch!
There is a very interesting documentary on Netflix about Necker Island. It focuses on the operation of the island as a resort. The chef comes across as not really liking his job.

we had the opportunity to visit Necker for a day trip and I was surprised by the amount of staff buzzing around everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.