Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Bawah Island (Indonesian island not too far from Singapore)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to start a new thread to see if anyone has tried Bawah Island yet. I had a friend go recently but am still awaiting a full trip report.

Any experiences there yet?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:58 am

I will be going in Sept! Anyone been?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Initial feedback from a friend who is there now was that the islands are spectacularly beautiful, and it is the ideal rustic, remote holiday location. Overall they thoroughly enjoyed it.

But, they also commented that service was poor across the board (friendly, kind staff, but just constant errors). GM also didn't seem all that engaged regarding service issues.

I'm tempted to check it out, but soft product is huge for me, so at 2,000 USD+ there are probably better options out there...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by poohbear0218
I will be going in Sept! Anyone been?
How did you get on. I have booked for April 2019 so would be interested to hear about your experience.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:35 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Colleague is going in February. Will have more pics and a review to share.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Colleague is going in February. Will have more pics and a review to share.
Can't wait for more pics & reviews as I am hesitating between Bawah Reserve & the Datai Langkawi for August '19.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Can't wait for more pics & reviews as I am hesitating between Bawah Reserve & the Datai Langkawi for August '19.
Think Bawah has AC issues .

Best stay at Datai . The refurbishment sounds really wonderful from what friends have told me . Trying to fit in a stay too , in January ?

Stayed couple of / few times many moons ago while still under GHM / AZ .

Think another FTer will soon post a TR , after CHRISTmas ?? .. have a Blessed 12 days !
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Wonder how this compares to nihi sumba ?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Think Bawah has AC issues .

Best stay at Datai . The refurbishment sounds really wonderful from what friends have told me . Trying to fit in a stay too , in January ?

Stayed couple of / few times many moons ago while still under GHM / AZ .

Think another FTer will soon post a TR , after CHRISTmas ?? .. have a Blessed 12 days !
Bawah has probably a better weather in August than Langkawi?
But the Datai villas have a private pool.
why is it always so difficult to make a choice?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: SIA PPS
I did a trip to Bawah in October with my family (children ages 4 and 6) and we had a really fantastic trip. The water quality and reef is really different compared to other luxury places in SE Asia. I would say it's a fair statement to say the water at Bawah is much closer to Maldives and comparison to Langkawi at least for water is incomparable. We stayed in the two bedroom jungle lodge which worked well for our family so the adults had a separate room from the kids. The jungle lodge also had a large living room and upstairs loft so plenty of space for a family. I understand they are building some more larger accommodation units in due course.

The rooms are a bit more rustic rather than a shiny new with spotless luxury. At the price point I fully understand a desire to have top luxury expectations. However, where the hotel sets itself apart is in service and personalized requests. Most places around the island for private picnic, etc are done so just one group of guests will be in any one point. Coconut Beach, Turtle Beach, etc they will put you on a boat and drop you off and during your time there there is no one in sight. For the kids, they liked walking around the mangroves and picking up hermit crabs. My kids have a green thumb so they also gave our family a tour of the gardens where they grow different fruits/vegetables.

The price is pretty much more expensive than most anywhere in SE Asia, but the door to door from Singapore (where I am based) was a convenience and the price is all-inclusive for all meals and activities (while alcohol is chargeable their prices for Indonesia are very reasonable). The price also included the sea/air transfer from Singapore so in comparison to Maldives the fact airfare is part of the hotel price is a pro. Meals were good and the price also includes a daily spa treatment.

For our family it was a great trip. If I would summarize, I would say a rustic getaway where you feel like you have the place to yourself for an undisturbed getaway with very good and customizable service/requests. The pricing is expensive but my comparison would be to Maldives rather than other SE Asia destinations. Once you factor in the fact transportation and meals/spa is included then it becomes a better value than Maldives in my opinion.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thanks for the review.
How are the beaches?
What do you mean by “rustic?” Do the rooms not feel luxurious?
Did the A/C work?
Would you choose a beach villa or overwater bungalow? On the photos, the beach villas look more private (the overwater villas seem to be placed very close to each other), but I’ve read that beach villas get lots of mosquitos/ants?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:52 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
What do you mean by “rustic?” Do the rooms not feel luxurious?
Yes (from feedback and just from perusing the photos). The design makes Six Senses/Soneva look elegant and over the top.
But will have more photos/videos/review in a couple of months.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Found some more photos now. The overwater villas look really cheap from the outside. Hmm.
But the reviews are so good and the beach/sea looks so damn nice!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: SIA PPS
We chose the Jungle Lodge because it was the only option with two bedrooms. The jungle lodge was is up the hill in the jungle rather than beach or over water.

The resort is so quiet and there are so many nice beaches in the main area or private beaches via boat transfer that I would personally not pay much more for the over water experience (some of the over the water villas also face pretty open ocean so on bad weather days it would actually be a negative). You are never more than 1-2 minute walk from the beach regardless.

As for my description of the rooms as rustic, I agree that "rustic luxury" is a bit ambiguous. I would not describe the rooms as anything particularly luxurious (not bad by any means but nothing spectacular). However, it's really the service and activities at the resort that are what I found memorable. Because everything is all-inclusive, you also don't think too much about whatever you are doing for the day and incremental costs.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:18 am

Do you happen to have some photos of the rooms?
It doesn't have to be all marble for me, but I don't want to pay 2000$ per night for 3-star hardware, no matter if everything is included or not. It's a ton of money, and for that you can book some really nice hotels even in the Maldives etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.