Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best luxury hotel with a cooking school on site or nearby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

My husband is interested in a luxury hotel stay where he can take cooking lessons on premises or at a good cooking school nearby...while I luxuriate in air conditioned splendor and/or visit historic sights or visit local wine estates nearby.

I immediately thought of Italy...and perhaps Rosewood’s Castiglion del Bosco. But we are open to other hotels where cooking classes could be nearby (like in Florence, Tuscany, Rome, or even Venice and Milan). But we’re not wed to Italy.

EDIT: My husband wants a foreign stay, not one here in N. America. He also isn’t fond of French cooking. I’m not sure he would be up for Asian cooking schools, so European destinations seem the better fit in this case.

Amy thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:25 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

MO Bangkok has a Thai cooking school on the premises with different programs like an early morning market trip, shop then make lunch, private 1 on 1s, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:47 pm

Ritz Paris immediately comes to mind.

https://www.ritzescoffier.com/en-GB/...g-school-paris
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:48 pm

MO Bangkok does not seem like a good fit for reasons we’ve discussed re restaurant dress codes, etc...

The Gritti Palace has a cooking school on site, but you were just there a while ago.

Four Seaosns Chiang Mai is another that comes to mind.

These are the classes I would most want to take myself: http://www.patriciawells.com/cooking-classes/

Ritz Paris is another one that of course comes to mind.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 5, 2017 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Will not say it ‘ s the best luxury but some suites do come close .

Loved the area too .

Was at Belmond Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons ( LMAQS ) in September and went to tour the kitchens and the culinary school part .
I think Raymond Blanc was conducting a class around then as he sometimes does . But he ' s also there checking out his gardens , etcetera when he does not have a class .

Did a TR but have not been able to edit to add information .

Some Amans also hold classes or even private sessions .
Have done at Nusa , primarily for fun
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:27 pm

Belmond Manoir aux Quat’saisons

La Bastide de Moustier

MO Bangkok

If he want to be more serious on cooking, CIA boot camp at Greystone and stay at Auberge du Soleil. CIA in upstate NY even better and you can visit the finger lakes. Not sure about hotels though
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:29 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Some Amans also hold classes or even private sessions .
Have done at Nusa , primarily for fun
Amanbagh.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
We recently visited Il Bottaccio in Tuscany. It was a wonderful stay. Just eight rooms at the property, with a gourmet restaurant.

The property itself is a 17th century olive oil mill. The suite we stayed in actually had the old press still in tact--though they had converted one of the tubs into a bath. Property is great for relaxing, with small towns and things to do close by, the coast is also very close (some famous spots there).

We did the cooking class in a single day, as it was a quick stop through. Awesome staff, who get you hands on with pasta, sauces, fish, and much more. The class was private, only my wife and I, and we had three instructors. A nice table was set up, with wine, so we could prep, cook, eat, and repeat.

Quite the experience, would definitely recommend.

https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/it...ana-montignoso

We also stayed a couple of nights at L'Albereta. Larger hotel, I think about 40 rooms. Great restaurants on site, we did the chefs table which was nice but not mind blowing. The chef was nice, but really just served and did not talk about the food, explain his or the food's story, or really engage past 'this is xyz.'

They may do classes, I do not know. There are more wineries (franciacorta is great!) and culinary going-ons in this area, but it is also more 'on the beaten path.' If I had to pick one of the two, I would do Il Bottaccio over L'albereta, but both are worth a trip and easy to do on the same trip.

https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/it...bardia-erbusco

Last edited by sfo2bos; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:25 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- intensive professional training? have seen it for ~$1,000/day (for the instruction and nothing else) at places like Inn at Little Washington, and others. they do not allow professional chefs.

- custom options at really small Relais & Chateaux? (some R&C may not work for OP)

- michelin/etc chef instructor on night/season restaurant is closed? have heard private dinners are possible and have seen them advertised with rental villas etc, not only ultra high end.

- shop, prepare, dine/wine with michelin/etc chef, privately instead of group?

- work something out with top hotel chefs?

- traveling with an instructor?

- professional cooking schools nearby for a bootcamp or private classes? >
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
CIA boot camp at Greystone and stay at Auberge du Soleil. CIA in upstate NY even better and you can visit the finger lakes. Not sure about hotels though
cant recall if there are some st helena hotels with discussion here

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 13, 2017 at 2:52 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:39 am

Four Seasons Chiang Mai has a brilliant, purpose-designed cooking school.

Chewton Glen in Hampshire, UK, has a new, very professional cooking school.

Four Seasons Kuda Huraa, Maldives - good cooking classes.

Castiglion del Bosco, Tuscany, for sure.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
MO Bangkok has a Thai cooking school on the premises with different programs like an early morning market trip, shop then make lunch, private 1 on 1s, etc.
I have seen this get recommended somewhere else before so it must be good!:-:
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
I’d rather kill myself than stay at the MO Bangkok or any other luxury hotel that forces me to wear pants to simply sit in or pass trough the lobby. #nevergonnahappen
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who are your top luxury hotel chefs? ask what they might offer themselves, especially any you have met and done private dining with etc?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:27 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
These days San Sebastian, Spain, is one of the world's top culinary destinations. Depending on the level of intensity your husband seeks, there are several cooking schools, including the Basque Culinary Institute and Mimo San Sebastian, which is located within the Hotel Maria Cristina. There are wineries and a beach nearby. San Sebastian is home to two of the world's top 30 restaurants, and has more Michelin stars per square meter than any other city in the world except Kyoto.
bhrubin and SanDiego1K like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.