Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences at Amanwella (Sri Lanka)? (October 2017)

Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any recent experiences staying at Amanwella that they could share? Has been a while since we've heard from anyone on FT LH forum and I wonder if this is because the hotel as fallen out of favour with those in the know.

Reviews on TripAdvisor (I know, I know) and other sites are mixed and it sounds like the property has not aged as well as some other Amans - ie I thought that Amandari and Amankila have gotten better with age as the jungle has grown around them.

SeanF has been looking after the Sri Lanka Amans for a little while now so would think he'd be getting them into shape but would be great to hear from someone who has been recently.

Also - any true alternatives to Amanwella for beach destinations in Sri Lanka? The new Anantara is just next door and seems to be getting very good reviews but obviously it's not an Aman!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:32 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ajca
Does anyone have any recent experiences staying at Amanwella that they could share? Has been a while since we've heard from anyone on FT LH forum and I wonder if this is because the hotel as fallen out of favour with those in the know.

Reviews on TripAdvisor (I know, I know) and other sites are mixed and it sounds like the property has not aged as well as some other Amans - ie I thought that Amandari and Amankila have gotten better with age as the jungle has grown around them.

SeanF has been looking after the Sri Lanka Amans for a little while now so would think he'd be getting them into shape but would be great to hear from someone who has been recently.

Also - any true alternatives to Amanwella for beach destinations in Sri Lanka? The new Anantara is just next door and seems to be getting very good reviews but obviously it's not an Aman!
The beaches aren't as large (but generally quite deserted), but what about Cape Weligama?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I stayed in March, but you might have seen my review already?

Lovely beach, but rooms not cool enough and food disappointing. Service so so.

Friends of mine stayed at Cape Weligama and said the butlers went on strike! Also it didn't feel very Sri Lankan. Other friends said the Anantara felt very mass market.

Have a look at KK Beach for something smaller and more simple, but still nice.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Just got back from Amanwella last month... had a great stay although it was brief. Really liked the rooms. The room refresh also replaced the A/C so it was arctic cold as long as you close the dividers between the bathroom and bedroom. Nice dinner at Beach club... no spa but in-room massages were incredible. Great therapists.

Met GM at checkin but resident manager Ayantha was excellent.

Not much to do around the resort and it takes 3.5 hrs to transfer there from CMB, but a great stay !
bhrubin and FlyerEC like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I stayed in March, but you might have seen my review already?
Lovely beach, but rooms not cool enough and food disappointing. Service so so.
Thanks Londonjetsetter, I hadn't seen your review from my search but found it and it was super helpful!

Originally Posted by xray
Just got back from Amanwella last month... had a great stay although it was brief. Really liked the rooms. The room refresh also replaced the A/C so it was arctic cold as long as you close the dividers between the bathroom and bedroom. Nice dinner at Beach club... no spa but in-room massages were incredible. Great therapists.
Nice! Did you find privacy problems with the rooms as some reviews have found, or have these been addressed with the refresh?

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The beaches aren't as large (but generally quite deserted), but what about Cape Weligama?
Will check it out, kinda got my heart set on Aman though. Amanoi set such a high standard, hard to beat
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
No privacy concerns at all... we were upgraded to Ocean Hill Pool suite... wonderful view of ocean with palm trees. Ocean is everywhere...unobstructed view doesn't add much IMO. Short walk from main area. I would take the same room again without hesitation. We were in 105.

I would also throw Amangalla (once A/C fixed) into the mix for a few days unless you just want to relax without going around too much.
bhrubin and FlyerEC like this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by xray

Met GM at checkin but resident manager Ayantha was excellent.

Not much to do around the resort and it takes 3.5 hrs to transfer there from CMB, but a great stay !
Good to know , just waiting for Sean F to revert when we should stay now instead of early Jan when it will still be ' coolish ' in Galle too . Seems AC at both Galla & Wella are cool enough for the likes of brubin & us now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.