Search

Best Luxury Hotels in the World

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm surprised everybody picks Pen BKK over the MO.
Neither would be among our best in the world, but we also would choose the Pen BKK over the MO BKK. The formality and dress code requirements at the MO simply are ridiculous to us--and particularly to me in such a hot and humid environment. We've not been to the Siam yet, but the Pen's location is obviously better for us. We really just loved the Pen.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 15, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Most of the hotels listed in this thread will probably be the usual suspects.

What I'd find interesting is the luxury hotels (or any hotel for that matter) that individuals in this forum love, but would be too embarrassed to admit here for fear of a and/or an response.
Musken and uggboy like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:33 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I have a love/hate relationship with these lists.

On the one hand, I like to skim them for hotels I haven't been to yet. On the other hand, there is no way I can make a list of my own. Too many lovely places, all special in their own way!
KatW and uggboy like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
These lists can be amusing as long as you keep in mind that they are nothing but opinions. They are not facts.
KatW and uggboy like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO this was the thoughtful/unique thread/question : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ot-missed.html
Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Which one is THE Hotel not to be missed absolutely in a life time. That property that, absolutely, you MUST see at least once.
lb8001, uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Are the top hotels in Hawaii compareable to the service standards offered at hotels in Bangkok and the Shangri-La in Kota Kinabalu?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS hualalai no longer consistent here, though peninsula bangkok has ups and downs

FS lanai is one to watch, under larry ellison ownership, but will service be a focus

US is very tough market, as you noted, always lacked great/consistent here, and the reason why huge number here travel from US to asia, as well as from EU to asia, and not just for resorts.

The_Daddy gets the credit for Likes for their brilliant thread/topic which turned out great. edit - i just Liked their post. my first Like, which may remain my only Like.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:00 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Pen BKK makes my list because I've stayed there 15+ times, and have NEVER had a stay that even comes close to being mediocre. I may have had a superior stay one time at one hotel that I've stayed at once... but the consistently fantastic overall service level of the Pen gives it a huge thumbs up in my book. And, unlike other chains that have a tiered loyalty program structure, Pen has treated me very, very well... in spite of not even being part of their PenClub program! They're straight-up awesome, all the time, to all guests. This includes friends that I've recommended Pen BKK to, and they've all come back glowing about their experience. It's never hit-or-miss; it's a known quantity, and I stand firm in my belief

And in case you're curious.. yes, I've stayed at the MO (3 times) and The Siam (twice.) The Pen takes the cake for me.
uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Pen BKK makes my list because I've stayed there 15+ times, and have NEVER had a stay that even comes close to being mediocre. I may have had a superior stay one time at one hotel that I've stayed at once... but the consistently fantastic overall service level of the Pen gives it a huge thumbs up in my book. And, unlike other chains that have a tiered loyalty program structure, Pen has treated me very, very well... in spite of not even being part of their PenClub program! They're straight-up awesome, all the time, to all guests. This includes friends that I've recommended Pen BKK to, and they've all come back glowing about their experience. It's never hit-or-miss; it's a known quantity, and I stand firm in my belief

And in case you're curious.. yes, I've stayed at the MO (3 times) and The Siam (twice.) The Pen takes the cake for me.
You forgot that it's also cheaper and they offer many suite deals 😂😂.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Add to resorts:

- Schloss Elmau Retreat, Bavaria
- Amangiri, USA
- Como Shambala Estate, Bali

Add to city hotels:

- Dolder Grand, Zurich
- MO Paris
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by wolf72
To get started here is my list:
City Hotels:
1) The Shangri-La, Kota Kinabalu
2) The Ritz, Hong Kong
3) The Shangri-La, Singapore
4) The Grand Hyatt, Kuala Lumpur
5) The Shangri-La, Kuala Lumpur
6) The Lanesborough, London
7) Citidines, Bali
8) Banyan Tree, Bangkok
9) Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
10) Raffles Hotel, Singapore
Definitely not a "best luxury hotels"-list...

- Raffles Singapore: a darkish tourist dump
- The Shangri Las & the Grand Hyatt: much, much too large for being real luxury
- Banyan Tree Bangkok: worn hotel, not considered as top luxury
- Citidines Bali: judging from the website, it looks like a nice 3/4 stars hotel with claustrophobic 25-square-meters-rooms. Or did I miss a secret?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:28 am

City Hotels: Plaza Athenee Paris, Chedi Muscat, Aman Tokyo, Baccarat New York, Le bristol
Hotter/ beach: Amanpulo, Fregate island,
Colder/ skiing: Badrutt Palace, Chedi Andermatt
isolated and unusual places: Explora Rapa Nui, Singita Lebombo, Singita Boulders
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Hard to say - I guess no kist from me.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
George V and MO Bangkok.
I agree, but would add Le Bristol. It's actually my favorite hotel in Paris, and for me an experience that exceeds that of FS GV. But everything is subjective as always.

Originally Posted by QPRfan
It's interesting that the Pen Bangkok is getting mentioned but not the Siam. Not what I expected having read the BKK thread!
I love all of the above hotels for different reasons. But my favorite place to lay my head in the City of Angels is Anantara Siam Bangkok. They treat me exceptionally well, and their corner suites and cabana accommodation are among my all time favorites.

Speaking of the riverside hotels, I have to say Mandarin Oriental wins overall, but The Peninsula is and always will be a special place for me.

The solution: stay at all of them!

And, Mandarin Oreintal Hong Kong and Ritz-Carlton Tokyo club level, too!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.