Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mini Trip Report: The Point (Saranac Lake, NY)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Trip Report: The Point (Saranac Lake, NY)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
From the Boston area, the drive through New Hampshire and Vermont is very pretty. And depending which way you choose, you have the option to take the car ferry over Lake Champlain. Once you cross into New York the streets wind around quite a bit. In New York, parts of the drive are pretty, parts not, but as you get closer there are beautiful rivers and rock formations along the side of the road. It’s a nice drive.
FlyerEC and amaroo like this.

Last edited by Ericka; Apr 19, 2019 at 4:59 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

relaischateaux.com/us/checkavailability-popin/22803/Boathouse

Originally Posted by amaroo
NZ lodges
how many older? otahuna is 1895.

point is 1933. also NY costs/taxes.

personified the 19th Century romantic notion of “roughing it” in great comfort, style and luxury. Today, The Point pays tribute to this tradition...at The Point, the only Adirondack Great Camp from the Gilded Age open to the public.
localwiki.org/hsl/Camp_Wonundra
1986...first paying guests during the 1980 Olympics, and by last year The Point was listed among only six American members of the Relais et Chateau, an elite group of about 300 international hostelries.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 19, 2019 at 10:13 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by KatW
Thank you, Linlant,

I have checked google maps and most convenient airport is Burlington, VT, from which the drive is only 2.5 hours. From SFO that's a connection through ORD or other midwest airports, thus doable. Which is about the same as Twin Farms but for the shorter drive.

Yes, I know, it is difficult to book the bosthouse. But we are able to book our stay according to availability. How large was Trapper?

It makes sense to combine stays at Twin Farms and The Point, flying in and out of Burlington from SFO.

Speaking of Boathouse, here is another one such at Manka's in Inverness, Point Reyes. Our favorite close-to-home respite.

https://www.designsponge.com/2014/04...alifornia.html
Agree with combine stay with Twin Farms!

We drove to The Point from Boston last time, was going to make a stop at Blantyre but they were fully committed so we spent some time in Berkshire, spent a night in Saratoga Springs then to The Point.

We stayed at Twin Farms after The Point, the route we took was very scenic. This trip was definitely one of the my fav trips of all time (and prob the best trip we've taken in the US!)
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 1:56 pm

Thumbs up Agreed - Great Property

I agree that the Point is a splendid experience. We plan to go back for another visit later this fall.

As an aside, though, I compared the experience of the Point to Chatwal Lodge here.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:11 pm
Original Member

I still want to do this one. Maybe this is the year. Any opinions about this as a solo stay? Also info on accessibility, rooms with fewest stairs. Closest airports?

Last edited by KatW; Mar 25, 2023 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I still want to do this one. Maybe this is the year. Any opinions about this as a solo stay? Also info on accessibility, rooms with fewest stairs. Closest airports?
Albany and Burlington are the closest decently sized airports (2.5-3 hours away), but if you have to connect anyways, then you may as well travel through Boston or JFK and connect on Cape Air to Saranac Lake Airport which is 20 mins from The Point.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:26 pm

Accessibility

Correct - The Point will pick you up from SLK.

Also for accessibility, I would recommend the Weatherwatch cabin. There are no stairs and you can also receive all meals delivered to your room.

Many of the other rooms or cabins involve a limited of steps.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by threepointkid
Albany and Burlington are the closest decently sized airports (2.5-3 hours away), but if you have to connect anyways, then you may as well travel through Boston or JFK and connect on Cape Air to Saranac Lake Airport which is 20 mins from The Point.
Good info, thankee. I would be connecting, flying from SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by weathertop
Correct - The Point will pick you up from SLK.

Also for accessibility, I would recommend the Weatherwatch cabin. There are no stairs and you can also receive all meals delivered to your room.

Many of the other rooms or cabins involve a limited of steps.
Weatherwatch looks fab but is more than I need as I travel solo. i can manage some stairs. Are there other sort-of accessible ootions?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by weathertop
I agree that the Point is a splendid experience. We plan to go back for another visit later this fall.

As an aside, though, I compared the experience of the Point to Chatwal Lodge here.
Thank you so much for the detailed comparison. I think these properties all fit into a similar bucket (as well as maybe a few others like Blackberry Mountain/Farms and possibly other Montana ranches, Primland, Wildflower Farms, etc.), so that was very helpful. What I’m gathering is they’re all great experiences, but the price delta between them all and Chatwal may not be justified? I’ve wanted to visit Chatwal and hearing this is very encouraging. Seems like a great property! Thank you again.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:40 pm

Weatherwatch looks fab but is more than I need as I travel solo. i can manage some stairs. Are there other sort-of accessible ootions?
We love the Point and try to go 2-3 times per year. Dinners are all in the main building. There are 4 rooms in the same building. If you need a king bed, Morningside will be the best bet. A short walk down a hall and a short walk to dinner in the main room. My favorite room, Mohawk, is also in that building but there are 4 stairs to go up to the room if that’s an issue. There are also two queen bed rooms that would be perfect for a single traveler. Everything is very close in that building which I really like.

I am not a fan of the rooms in the pub. Loud into the late night and lots of stairs. The other building where weatherwatch is has two other rooms and I prefer Saranac of the two. Also no stairs so those would work too.

And to the comparison on the food between the Point and Twin Farms, the Point has completely renovated its kitchen this year and the food is outstanding. Multi-course meals each night and no repeats, and delicious. During the day you can eat whatever you want, they’ll make anything. I think it’s on par with twin farms now. And we actually love the communal dining (after initially thinking it’d be awful). Had some very interesting conversations there with all sorts of people…
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This thread reminded me, has anyone heard of an update on The Aurum? It was set to open in the Fall of 2021, but haven’t seen anything recent on it. Seemed like a potentially excellent property.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by NotALawyer
And to the comparison on the food between the Point and Twin Farms, the Point has completely renovated its kitchen this year and the food is outstanding. Multi-course meals each night and no repeats, and delicious. During the day you can eat whatever you want, they’ll make anything. I think it’s on par with twin farms now.
that’s great to hear. I always thought the food was always the weakest part of the experience as compared to other destinations in the same tier
Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:14 pm

We are traveling to The Point over Labor Day. I am curious what the thoughts are around dress in the evenings (not the Black Tie, but the other dinners). Also, any specific recommended activities? My husband and I are late 30s and very active. Any other specific tips on the property or what to think about would be much appreciated! We love Twin Farms so am curious as to how this will compare as I don't see much out there about the resort on the web.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:13 pm

Smile Feedback delivered!

Hi southerngirl84:

At The Point and at any other meal other than black tie nights, you’ll see very casual dress. The Point recommends “come as you are.” We noticed that the older couples would lean towards business casual but everyone else was largely in jeans or shorts (depending on the season).

During the time that you will be there, most of the activities at The Point will involve the lake. They have kayaks, electric boats, water skiing (the staff will gladly take you out around the lake), etc. There is also hiking on property and horseback riding can be arranged.

I recommend taking one of your lunches across the lake at a private island owned by The Point. Also, their tour around the lake in their wooden ferry boat is great as you will get a history lesson of the gilded age and other homes on the water. My wife and I also enjoy borrowing one their Mercedes (which they will gladly lend to you) for shopping trips to Lake Placid.

On comparisons to Twin Farms: Check out the other thread I’ve listed below. I compare Chatwal Lodge to Twin Farms, The Point, and also to the Ranch at Rock Creek. If you have been to at least one of these properties, you’ll get a sense of the differences.

Chatwal Lodge - We loved our stay and will be back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.