Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton Yachts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I never cruised the Sea Goddess but have Sea Dream. While the service (even on the Sea Dream) was a sort of casual luxury, the accommodations definitely weren't. Even when the boats were originally built I don't believe they approached anything close to luxury. However the ships are in fantastic shape, even for being over twenty years old. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise them again today... however I bet the RC cruise lines are going to approach a true luxury hard product. Hopefully the soft product will match.

Fdw
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I guess "luxury" is a subjective word. I have experienced more luxury on my Sea Goddess voyages than I did in some of the finest hotels in the world. Our suite was nothing like the Windsor Suite at the Ritz and surely did not have a bathtub built for two. Our suite, was comfortable, beautifully appointed, had adequate closet space but the "luxury" was knowing that we were able to have anything we wanted at any time of the day; be it Cuban cigars for my husband, going for a ride on a speedboat off the stern of the ship; dancing the samba around the tiny pool on deck 3 while sailing through South America or drinking champagne and eating a cheeseburger at 3:AM in the Jacuzzi. I guess my definition of "luxury" is having every whim indulged by friendly, caring professional staff.
Just done another Oceania cruise , this time on M . S . Regatta .

Will hope the the RC yachts are at least similar to RC Kyoto suites , possibly RC SIN , other RCs I have stayed at are , well , I can ' t recall ..

Service like older Amans will be nice & cuisine like Oceania ' s will be acceptable , better will be appreciated - more like the original Sea Goddess

Looking forward .
Wonder how points can be used
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Wonder how points can be used
I doubt RC points will be able to be used; rather like the RC Reserves.

Cheers.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It can't be that difficult. And if they have half a brain, they'll get the right people to help with that I am sure.

Apart from the scheduled cruises, which will likely tie in with R-C hotel and resort itineraries, the possibilities for charter all over the world are endless. It expands the horizons of luxury travel to places heretofore uncovered by luxury hotels and/or cruise lines.
And yet so many Ritz Carlton hotels, their primary business, are not well run.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Will repeat what I typed on the Marriott thread. This had to happen. Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn marketing themselves as ultra luxury while being nice, upscale lines. How in the hell can they use ultra luxury with what they offer today? I expect the RC product to be closer to what Silversea offered during their first six years. They'll siphon passengers and crew from the current lineup of posers. Higher cost to get on these ships, but with low capacity, no problem to fill.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:55 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Booked 4 clients for the Scenic Eclipse that's currently being built and launching in fall of 2018...Which is the same concept of luxury version of cruise and yachat hybrid. Their promotion showsoff some really slick technology, though. It's meant for exploration.

https://www.scenicusa.com/ocean-cruises
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

obscure2k, isnt that mostly about rates that include everything ?

wish these were actual yachts like alila indonesia & FS maldives
[edit - or designed like actual superyachts in 13>40 cabin size]

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2017 at 9:06 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wish these were actual yachts like alila indonesia & FS maldives
Why would you wish this?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hedoman
Why would you wish this?
Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

hopefully RC does better, but not guaranteed, unless for example they have enough staff (who are interested) that they can rotate from luxury RC/starwood/marriott, which actually would be an interesting/original idea. but what is the ownership structure of this new endeavor. "partnership with Los Angeles investment firm Oaktree Capital" if they are hiring RC/marriott to manage, what are terms. hope marriott/RC wouldnt franchise.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm not a huge RC fan
Originally Posted by wripro
We have to wait and see if Ritz Carlton (Marriott) know how to even run a cruise line. Very different animal from hotels.
so many Ritz Carlton hotels, their primary business, are not well run.
at least Reserve (& Cruise) concepts have fewer rooms/villas (& cabins)

some here remain regulars at RCs, some seemed to stop post marriott

seems RC reserve phulay is a lot more about owner than RC/marriott

re why cruiselines do larger, because they can
as noted, not all new ocean/river are larger size

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 25, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:37 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by hedoman
Will repeat what I typed on the Marriott thread. This had to happen. Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn marketing themselves as ultra luxury while being nice, upscale lines. How in the hell can they use ultra luxury with what they offer today? I expect the RC product to be closer to what Silversea offered during their first six years. They'll siphon passengers and crew from the current lineup of posers. Higher cost to get on these ships, but with low capacity, no problem to fill.
But if the demand is so clearly there, why aren't Crystal/SilverSea/Seabourn/Regent rushing to fill it? Perhaps it is not so profitable, or perhaps the R-C won't be quite so legendary and will settle into a product on par with the new Crystal yachts etc.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:45 pm

Seabourn and Silversea abandoned the luxury ship concept in favor of putting more people on board and lowering price/quality/service. I believe there is a niche market for this type ship. One that will pay 50% more than current rates on ships you mentioned. For that 50%, there will be much more value than what is currently being received by the few people that are needed to fill RC ships.

But, who knows how Marriott will manage this venture? Not much margin for error and if they blow it, they will end up being more like Crystal yachts. Including competitive pricing. Either way, if it happens, a win for consumers.

The designers have studied Europa2. A beautiful piece of hardware that falls short of a perfect German cruise experience because they cannot fill all crew slots with proper people.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
And yet so many Ritz Carlton hotels, their primary business, are not well run.
I question the veracity of this statement, I'm sorry to say. I may not love the styling of many RC properties, but I've been to too many RC properties, along with StR, FS, Pen, MO, and Aman, to know better. RC generally runs a very good hotel.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I question the veracity of this statement, I'm sorry to say. I may not love the styling of many RC properties, but I've been to too many RC properties, along with StR, FS, Pen, MO, and Aman, to know better. RC generally runs a very good hotel.
Generalisation doesn't work too well in hospitality, but isn't R-C like most groups? They have their superstar properties (think Tokyo) and then some solid properties, but the majority are a bit lackluster. Sadly they also have points ("Loyalty Program"), which makes it really hard to run a great hotel. In this regard I tend to think lesser of them, as they are caught in Marriott's structures. I know you might scream reading this
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by scented
Generalisation doesn't work too well in hospitality, but isn't R-C like most groups? They have their superstar properties (think Tokyo) and then some solid properties, but the majority are a bit lackluster. Sadly they also have points ("Loyalty Program"), which makes it really hard to run a great hotel. In this regard I tend to think lesser of them, as they are caught in Marriott's structures. I know you might scream reading this
The comment was that RC wasn't well run. This wasn't about newer superstar properties and older less glam properties; this was about how well managed and well "run" the hotels are, and I don't agree with the previous assessment.

I also think your assumption that points hotels making "it really hard to run a great hotel" is utter nonsense.

I believe that you "tend to think lesser of them" but I believe that sentiment is far more about you and your own idiosyncrasies and has little to do with the quality of hotels. There are too many incredible points hotels that you simply dismiss out of hand because of your outdated and outmoded assessment. I stay at too many top hotels that both do and don't use points to know you're just wrong.

I usually agree with you. On this, unfortunately, I think you're dead wrong. The StR and RC San Francisco both are better than the FS and former MO. The Imperial and PH, and RC, are tops in Vienna. The Gritti is nearly or as good service wise as the Aman Grand Canal Venice. The PH, RC, and WA Chicago all compete easily with the Pen and FS. The StR, PH, and RCs compete with all of the best in NYC. The RC Shanghai and Hong Kong are easily among the best, competing easily with the FS and Pens in both. The FS isn't as good as the PH Sydney. The RC Tokyo competes with the Aman Tokyo. The StR Mexico City is superior or at least as good as the FS. Point loyalty program hotels are in no way inferior--that's a stereotype you cling to based on inaccurate information and prejudice. I don't need to scream; I just need to remind you of the facts and evidence.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:12 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by scented
I have never stayed at an RC, but have stayed at several St. Regis's/luxury hotels and have had lots of positive experiences. The points thing, to me, is akin to Virtuoso and/or negotiating upgrades.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Agree. Some RCs are well run. In fact I never had at a RC a totally bad experience. But of course I had some mediocre ones and I some properties I woudn't stay again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.