Reload this Page >

Rosewood Mayakoba - Riviera Maya, Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rosewood Mayakoba - Riviera Maya, Mexico

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Love the photos, as always. So glad you had a wonderful stay. We were at the Viceroy around the same time and experienced the sargassum on our first day, but it was gone for the reminder of our stay. It was also in the BVIs when we were there a few years ago, so it can have a wide territory.

Rosewood Mayakoba was my first hotel stay as a Virtuoso client during Swine Flu in 2009 and I have been back two more times since (soon to be three). For me, it comes pretty close to being perfect in both soft and hard product and is one of the few properties that can effectively and equally handle families with kids and couples. A truly special place.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:15 am

Thank you Ericka for this report, was a joy to read. I cannot tell you how many times I thought about staying there, but never got to do it. Might combine soon with FS Surfside. Service culture in Mexico seems so much better compared to anything Caribbean.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scented
Thank you Ericka for this report, was a joy to read. I cannot tell you how many times I thought about staying there, but never got to do it. Might combine soon with FS Surfside. Service culture in Mexico seems so much better compared to anything Caribbean.
Agreed. Ericka I would be keen to know how you would compare Rosewood with Maroma.

I think Esencia also looks great in that area.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:40 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Agreed. Ericka I would be keen to know how you would compare Rosewood with Maroma.

I think Esencia also looks great in that area.
Maroma Resort: feels smaller, more intimate, no formal kids program, no or fewer corporate groups, authentic mexican decor, fewer onsite activities, equally great service, less wildlife, wonderful beach beds
Old May 5, 2017, 9:22 am

How would you rate the kids club? I wondered if the activities looked entertaining enough for kids as old as 7 or 8. We like clubs with cool art projects, nature exploration, games, etc. (our favorite club being the Ritz Dorado with night time rainforest exploration, cooking classes, etc.) When we stayed at the Rosewood our daughter was too young to partake, and I did not have the foresight to check out the offerings.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:44 am

very nice report, thanks for doing it!

what is the schlep factor to go to the beach from your room? Say you were in the entry level room, how long to get to the beach? or any of the restaurants?
Old May 5, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by katesy
How would you rate the kids club? I wondered if the activities looked entertaining enough for kids as old as 7 or 8. We like clubs with cool art projects, nature exploration, games, etc. (our favorite club being the Ritz Dorado with night time rainforest exploration, cooking classes, etc.) When we stayed at the Rosewood our daughter was too young to partake, and I did not have the foresight to check out the offerings.
The kids club is very good by all accounts. But since our child was the only one in there, it was more subdued than usual. They offer a daily lagoon eco tour on one of the electric boats (we opted to do a private family version). And yes, there are lots and lots of craft options, games, etc. They have a formal schedule each week if you want to request a copy via email.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
very nice report, thanks for doing it!

what is the schlep factor to go to the beach from your room? Say you were in the entry level room, how long to get to the beach? or any of the restaurants?
The beach club and Mexican restaurant are a 5-10 minute golf cart ride.
You can walk to the lobby and other two restaurants in 5 minutes or take a golf cart for 2 minutes.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Member

From Farbster's post above: "schlep factor"

Love this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ericka
Maroma Resort: feels smaller, more intimate, no formal kids program, no or fewer corporate groups, authentic mexican decor, fewer onsite activities, equally great service, less wildlife, wonderful beach beds
Hi Ericka, thanks for this summary.

Between Maroma and Rosewood Mayakoba and Chable Maroma, how would you (or anyone else who can comment) compare all of the above, as well as the F/B and the air con in the suites? Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:11 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Between Maroma and Rosewood Mayakoba and Chable Maroma, how would you (or anyone else who can comment) compare all of the above, as well as the F/B and the air con in the suites? Thanks!
Having just been back from the RW (but not having been to the other two), here are my comments:
A/C is good if you have a renovated suite. Otherwise it struggles.
There is a lot of beach erosion. Pretty much there is now a cliff between the areas of the beach that have been maintained by the resort (where the chairs are) and the beach closer to the water. It's not nearly as lovely as it used to be.
The seaweed struggle is real. Resort does a LOT to get rid of it and they are not winning the battle.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I’m afraid I’m not the best judge of air con for you. While at Maroma, I developed pneumonia so I had a fever and chills the whole time. And at the Rosewood, I kept the room at 73/74 F which is not where you usually like it!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ericka

I’m afraid I’m not the best judge of air con for you. While at Maroma, I developed pneumonia so I had a fever and chills the whole time. And at the Rosewood, I kept the room at 73/74 F which is not where you usually like it!
That's OK. After learning today of the beachfront studio's ridiculous $2500+ rates for Jan 2019, including no availability already for my Jan birthdate despite the calendar not yet being open for those dates, I believe I can qualify the Rosewood as ridiculously overpriced for anything it may deliver and arrogantly preying on the insipid like they do in Hawaii. I know better. No thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I have stayed at all three. I cannot speak to the a/c situation. The F&B was best at Rosewood and Chable Maroma, and of course you have many more options at Rosewood (and greater Mayakoba) than at Chable Maroma or Belmond Maroma. For short stays it doesn't much matter as long as there are no dietary restrictions, but for longer stays it may impact the experience.

I can't speak to availability offhand, but the pricing is not outrageous (although maybe more than you want to spend) for the Beachfront Suites at Rosewood which are in the process of being renovated, and they definitely can deliver on the experience. Plus they are the only option of the three which has an adults only pool and beach club. Temps in the area in January can be on the cooler side, so staying off of the beach can be a positive and shouldn't be summarily eliminated as an option as you can hang out by your pool and be sheltered from the wind.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Regarding Maroma -- Our stay was over the 4th of July. I recall the A/C struggling to keep up and losing. F/B left *much* to be desired with no options nearby. We've not been to Chable and Rosewood.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.