Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

snakes at st regis and other hotel villas unless you book a room/suite excluding pool suites

aman undiscovered rate can be better than free night

many aman regulars book direct, many use agent
Old May 15, 2018, 6:12 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Husband and I will travel to Bali next April for 4-5 nights. Our budget is about $700USD per night including tax.

We want amazing Infiniti pool, quiet crowd, great food, relatively nice and clean beach, and a fancy room. Butler not required. Ideally we get one night free- that may be the deciding factor.

Amankila is great except for potential snake visit?! I WOULD ABSOLUTELY freak out over a garden variety snake. Any bug would make me jump.

St. R looks really nice. I do love the decor.

Any other suggestions?

Should we book direct or thru FHR/ Virtuoso?
My shortlist was: Laguna One Bedroom Villa (part of a mega complex but villas are treated separately with their own check in and staff etc), StR (standard pool suites have a room directly above you, Garden Villa is a walled garden so the Lagoon Villa was the best option, but expensive) and the RC. RC has Garden Villas which may be in your price range.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Husband and I will travel to Bali next April for 4-5 nights. Our budget is about $700USD per night including tax.

We want amazing Infiniti pool, quiet crowd, great food, relatively nice and clean beach, and a fancy room. Butler not required. Ideally we get one night free- that may be the deciding factor.

Amankila is great except for potential snake visit?! I WOULD ABSOLUTELY freak out over a garden variety snake. Any bug would make me jump.

St. R looks really nice. I do love the decor.

Any other suggestions?

Should we book direct or thru FHR/ Virtuoso?
Have not encountered those at Kila but those can be expected anywhere on the island except areas close to the volcanoes
Amanusa Villas will be outstanding if quiet is desired too .

Bugs are the norm in the tropics so perhaps somewhere else with Med weather but not in summer as lots of bugs too . Sandflies in Australia , NZ , etc & flies too !
Old May 16, 2018, 1:54 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Sorry to say, but snakes and bugs can be anywhere in a tropical place like Bali. Have seen snakes tree times at hotels during our visits to Bali (Amandari, Amanusa and Ritz Carlton) and several times while being out and about. Snakes and bugs do not read price lists, so no guarantee that they stay away from luxury hotels. However, the personnel at luxury hotels might come quicker to rescue you and get rid of such unwanted guests. I am terrified, but somehow I found the encounters less scary these places, but you have been warned.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Just read the whole thing , It will be my first time there ( 7days) , I would like to do some diving and explore a volcano, enjoy good food and relax.

Any places ( island?) or hotel to recommand ( budget 500$ usd per night) Might be willing tro pay more for The Aman Bali Experience but when I go on the website it says I'm not allow to see that page???

Last edited by Joroy70; May 21, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 7:22 am

And any virtuoso agent in here, wrote to 2, I've got no email back
Old May 23, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Joroy70
Just read the whole thing , It will be my first time there ( 7days) , I would like to do some diving and explore a volcano, enjoy good food and relax.

Any places ( island?) or hotel to recommand ( budget 500$ usd per night) Might be willing tro pay more for The Aman Bali Experience but when I go on the website it says I'm not allow to see that page???
Usually do not bother with Amans ‘ website Suggest you email the Aman GMs , perhaps Ernst L at Kila . Ian W can also help for all Indo Amans .
If only Bali , Kila can be The base / starting point for your activities & relaxation ; very lovely one .
Shane the F & B director is based there too . Can ’ t wait to return in less than 2 weeks now
Old May 23, 2018, 9:43 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Joroy70
And any virtuoso agent in here, wrote to 2, I've got no email back
PM'ed you! Cheers!

Last edited by BESVISOR; May 23, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by 2manyredeyes
Hello All - In a few months I will be going to bali for 8 days and am hoping to get recommendations on hotels/locations/ and booking methods.

Ideally I would like to do 2 nights in Nusa Dua , 2 nights in Ubud, then last 4 nights back at the beach. Based on what I've read here I'm thinking either Amanusa/ St. Regis /Ritz Carlton in Nusa, then Mandapa Reserve/ 4 seasons Sayan / Amandari for 2 nights, then back to the beach. I'd love to hear some feedback from others who have done similarly, and have any do's and don'ts.

I've read that the Aman hotels have "seamless" transfers which are appealing, so eager to get clarification on what all that entails over just a pick up/ arrival gift?

Lastly- comparing booking methods, would anyone recommend Amex FHR over Virtuoso benefits or other affiliated booking services such as 4 seasons preferred partners? Which seem to have a better track record for "upgrade on arrival"

Ultimately my budget is 1k a night or less for the best all around Bali experience I can get, and hopefully booking through a service that adds the most value.

Thanks in advance
Hi, go for the Ritz-Carlton for your stay in Nusa Dua. Spent 6 nights there in April, all around good experience. Villas are the way to go, otherwise get a lagoon access room! Also reccomend paying extra for club access - it is well worth the money (food, Club pool, wonderful service). Tell Norma the Club Manager we say hi! The St. Regis looked a little more dated. Have a great trip, check out Nusa Penida Island if you get the chance!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:39 pm

Have a $500 budget for a few nights in May/June. For that price I'm not sure if I should look into Aman, the Mandapa, or the RC with club access. I really don't like the layout of the StR.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:02 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Have a $500 budget for a few nights in May/June. For that price I'm not sure if I should look into Aman, the Mandapa, or the RC with club access. I really don't like the layout of the StR.
Is that USD 500 incl tax? If so, Aman will be a bit above that (think rates start at USD 580/night++ in low season now, 21% tax).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Is that USD 500 incl tax? If so, Aman will be a bit above that (think rates start at USD 580/night++ in low season now, 21% tax).
Are they full board? Worth it over the Mandapa? Also, thinking of the Hoshinoya.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:48 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Are they full board? Worth it over the Mandapa? Also, thinking of the Hoshinoya.
No, that rate only includes daily breakfast and round-trip transfers.

Amandari splits the votes here (unlike Amankila) - some like it, some don't, I think it's both underrated and overrated at the same time - so take your pick based on what you like.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:00 pm

I will be traveling to Bali in July for two weeks with the family. 2 adults, 2 children (6,8). The choices are just overwhelming.

On the top of my list is the six senses right now. They have a 2 bedroom with a pretty large private pool at a reasonable price. A big minus is that there is no beach access. Has anyone stayed there and can give me an opinion on the resort?

I am also regarding splitting the stay into 2 hotels, each one week to see different parts of the island. Any opinion on what would be a good combination?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Zertis77
I will be traveling to Bali in July for two weeks with the family. 2 adults, 2 children (6,8). The choices are just overwhelming.

On the top of my list is the six senses right now. They have a 2 bedroom with a pretty large private pool at a reasonable price. A big minus is that there is no beach access. Has anyone stayed there and can give me an opinion on the resort?

I am also regarding splitting the stay into 2 hotels, each one week to see different parts of the island. Any opinion on what would be a good combination?

Thanks!
Not sure if this SS belongs here in this forum . Have not visited ..

Many here stay at Amankila , and a suite here has day beds which can accommodate your 2 children .
Or the Amankila Suite

Pair with Amanusa Villas or even Amandari .

If budget is a concern , try Awarta which has beach access though not on the beach

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 15, 2019 at 6:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.