Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Luxury Hotels of Peru, Please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

We spent much more time in all locations than most who visit Peru: 3 nights Lima (2 on front end, 1 on back end), 5 nights in Sacred Valley at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, 2 nights at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, 2 nights in Cusco at Inkaterra La Casona, and 7 nights on the Amazon via Iquitos aboard M/V Aria.........

bhrubin, your insight is invaluable to me, so thank you very much. What you said essentially confirmed what I suspected in that the bulk of one’s time would be spent between Cusco and the Sacred Valley (also Machu Picchu), just depending on one’s interest and/or time constraints.

Your trip certainly allowed you to see so many different aspects of Peru in so much detail which must have been spectacular. The trip I am aiming at taking will be 6-8 days so I think my girlfriend and I will concentrate on the Sacred Valley.

Machu Picchu is definitely a draw and I’d like to do a day trip there and also I’d love to spend a night or two at the Sanctuary Lodge, but I think time constraints will prevent that, at least for this trip. While I looked at Belmond Rio Sagrado, I think that Explora Sacred Valley fits what we are looking for most. I am particularly interested in some of the “off the beaten path” explorations they offer such as the hike to the Moray Ruins, the hike to Salineras, and the bike ride to the Huaypo Views.

I definitely understand what you mean by having the luxury of just a day of taking a breath to relax or enjoy some spa treatments amidst all of the exploring and sightseeing.

While I would love to explore and try some restaurants in Lima for a day or two I think that for this trip I will skip it and take a connecting flight to Cusco as quickly as possible. We will be traveling from Boston (which require 2 connections and be a tiring journey in itself) so I anticipate taking 1-2 nights in Cusco either at one of the Belmond properties or at Palacio del Inka to rest/explore Cusco at a leisurely pace before traveling to Explora Sacred Valley for the bulk of our trip.

I don’t think we will have time to add a full cruise like you did, but I am definitely considering adding 2-3 nights at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica (or something similar) at the end of the trip. It's something I will have to look into more.

Again, thanks so much for your insight it definitely helps me have some food for thought to ultimately construct this trip in the manner that best fits what we are looking for.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by threepointkid
bhrubin, your insight is invaluable to me, so thank you very much. What you said essentially confirmed what I suspected in that the bulk of one’s time would be spent between Cusco and the Sacred Valley (also Machu Picchu), just depending on one’s interest and/or time constraints.
For your 8 nights, you absolutely can see almost everything we did—just in a quicker fashion. Our niece and her husband did so and loved their time, too. So don’t let our itinerary in any way preclude that for you!

The Explora Sacred Valley looks lovely. (It didn’t exist when we traveled there.) We did most of the excursions you mentioned (but not the bicycle trip as I despise those)...and more, as we had so much time! The highlights for us were the salt mine—our favorite—and the ruins at Ollantaytambo, another favorite, a good precursor for Machu Picchu...as well as ruins above Cusco and near Pisac and Moray. The Pisac market, on the other hand, was a joke.

For the record, we were very impressed by Inkaterra. Their Amazon property should be wonderful.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

For your 8 nights, you absolutely can see almost everything we did—just in a quicker fashion. Our niece and her husband did so and loved their time, too. So don’t let our itinerary in any way preclude that for you!

Good to know to skip the Pisac market, but that the other outings will be fantastic. Your feedback reassures me I'm on the right track in planning this trip, so again, thank you!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
We visited May 2016 - loved it.

Our itinerary....
3 nights Sacred Valley - Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Belmond Hiram Bingham
2 nights Machu Picchu - Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Belmond Hiram Bingham
2 nights Cuzco - Belmond Palacio Nazarenas
3 nights Lake Titicaca - Titilaka Lodge

Sacred Valley is superb! We visited Ollantaytambo, Qantus Raqay, Q'allaqasa, Chinchero, Moray, Maras .... we hired a car driver/guide for 2 days. First day was 8hrs the second was for 5hrs.

Titilaka was icing on the cake - well worth tacking this onto a MP/Sacred Valley trip.
mkm4 likes this.

Last edited by amaroo; Jun 3, 2019 at 12:12 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by amaroo
We visited May 2016 - loved it.

Our itinerary....
3 nights Sacred Valley - Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Belmond Hiram Bingham
2 nights Machu Picchu - Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
Belmond Hiram Bingham
2 nights Cuzco - Belmond Palacio Nazarenas
3 nights Lake Titicaca - Titilaka Lodge

Sacred Valley is superb! We visited Ollantaytambo, Qantus Raqay, Q'allaqasa, Chinchero, Moray, Maras .... we hired a car driver/guide for 2 days. First day was 8hrs the second was for 5hrs.

Titilaka was icing on the cake - well worth tacking this onto a MP/Sacred Valley trip.

We have a similar trip coming up this Fall— our biggest regret was that it was too late to extend our return flight so that we could include Titilaka.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:06 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by threepointkid
While I would love to explore and try some restaurants in Lima for a day or two I think that for this trip I will skip it and take a connecting flight to Cusco as quickly as possible. We will be traveling from Boston (which require 2 connections and be a tiring journey in itself) so I anticipate taking 1-2 nights in Cusco either at one of the Belmond properties or at Palacio del Inka to rest/explore Cusco at a leisurely pace before traveling to Explora Sacred Valley for the bulk of our trip.
I'd actually just head to the Sacred Valley first. The altitude at Sacred Valley is much lower than Cusco, so just facilitates that whole acclimatization piece a little easier for a short visit.

I visited a few years ago and did 1 night Lima, 3 nights Sacred Valley, 1 night MP, 2 nights Cusco, 1 night Lima. All Belmond, except Sacred V which was Sol Y Luna. Explora wasn't open then I don't think but it does look like a great option.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sydakllon
I'd actually just head to the Sacred Valley first. The altitude at Sacred Valley is much lower than Cusco, so just facilitates that whole acclimatization piece a little easier for a short visit.

I visited a few years ago and did 1 night Lima, 3 nights Sacred Valley, 1 night MP, 2 nights Cusco, 1 night Lima. All Belmond, except Sacred V which was Sol Y Luna. Explora wasn't open then I don't think but it does look like a great option.

That was the advice we received as well. Here is our itinerary: 2 nights Lima (Belmond) 5 nights Sacred Valley (Tambo del Inka) Hiram Bingham 2 nights MP (Belmond) 3 nights Cusco (Palacio del Inka) 2 nights Lima (Belmond)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:29 am

I fully agree with everyone about spending more time than you might initially imagine in Valle Sagrado.

And again, for those who are active, I cannot more highly recommend Explora. They have even now brought Virgilio Martinez in as a consulting chef. Combine that with the stunning hikes and other explorations, and we are already contemplating a return.

Like @bhrubin, we made it a point to visit Cusco separately from Sacred Valley. Personally, I did not find Cusco that interesting, but would absolutely recommend spending a night there and then taking the Peru Rail Luxury train to Puno, and then stay at Titilaka.

Unlike @bhrubin, we found Machu Picchu a bit “Disney” - I’m not necessarily disappointed we went, but I would never personally recommend it, and would even counsel those wavering to skip it, and trust they’ll have no “FOMO”.

I also agree with others that Lima, for us, was strictly a dining destination - and an incredible one at that.

Lastly, we tend to find many cities rather uninspiring - well, perhaps that’s not the best choice of words, but I’m not quite sure how to put it better. Perhaps just that the countryside is where we find most of our travel pleasure, as it’s where we feel we get to experience the true culture and people.

HOWEVER ... I cannot more strongly recommend a visit to La Paz, in neighboring Bolivia. It is one of the most unique cities I’ve ever been to, and I am so glad we trusted my hunch and made it a point to fit it into our itinerary.

The combination of the people, the city layout, the architecture, the public transportation (!!!), El Alto, etc, really captivated me.
damon88 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:54 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Lima has its fair share of beautiful architecture, but otherwise it's a culinary destination. When someone I know is planning a trip to Peru, I always advise them to spend more time than they were planning in Lima just to experience the food. Central, Maido, Kjolle, Astrid y Gaston, Maras, Rafael, Malabar, Amaz, Cosme, Osso, and (for far more traditional Peruvian) El Señorío de Sulco. So much amazing food, you have to at least experience a few of these restaurants if you're in Lima.
You called Maido way before anyone else IIRC. Kudos
damon88 and MicSanToro like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How many nights Explora?

We are looking to book a trip for August with our boys (age 10 and 12). I like the idea of Explora. My wife and I stayed at their Patagonia property 13 years ago. With all the organized hikes/activities, i think the boys would be better engaged and have better time. I am just trying how to structure the trip. My wife and I did the trail to MP on that same trip 13 years ago. This would ofcourse be different. We need some time to acclimate before Explora. I would like to take advantage of the activities and going straight there without getting used to the altitude would really hamper that. So....

Do we do 2 nights in Cusco, followed by 4 - 5 nights at Explora, and then finish off with 2 -3 nights Lima? This would mean using Explora's day trip to MP.

Another option I am thinking is to do 2 nights Cusco, off to MP and a night in Sanctuary Lodge. Train back to Cusco, spend the night. Morning to Explora. 1 night in Lima

Yet another option. 2 nights somewhere in Sacred Valley, 4 -5 nights Explora, 2 nights Cusco. Starting in Sacred Valley would make it easier to acclimate, but would it be redundant with a stay in Explora right after?

And yet another option. 2 nights Cusco, 4 nights Explora, 3 nights in Inkaterra Amazonica, 1 night Lima.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
We are planning for a trip to Peru this fall, and given we only have six days, I was thinking about spilt it between Lima and Arequipa instead of doing Machu Picchu, Cusco route(probably will find a longer period of time to visit those places in the future). In terms of accommodations in Arequipa, has anyone stayed in this R&C property called CIRQA before and it would be great if someone has any other recommendations for boutique hotels. And the last question we have is how should we spilt time in these two places, more specifically Is it worth to stay more than two nights in Arequipa? Some friends have told us Colca Canyon is a must if we decide to visit Arequipa but the trip to the Canyon seems to be impossible to squeeze into the itinerary unless we stay there for four nights.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Steven013
...more specifically Is it worth to stay more than two nights in Arequipa? Some friends have told us Colca Canyon is a must if we decide to visit Arequipa but the trip to the Canyon seems to be impossible to squeeze into the itinerary unless we stay there for four nights.
We stayed in Arequippa and visited Colca Canyon. There is a beautiful cathedral and convent in Arequippa but otherwise I think Colca Canyon is the point. We did one night in Chivay. Perhaps you could do it in three days? We did:

Day 1 - flight from Lima to Arequippa, city tour
Day 2 - ride from Arequippa to Chivay
Day 3 - early start to see condors at Colca Canyon; afternoon transfer to Arequippa
Day 4 - we went on to Puno but you could go back to Lima

We stayed at somewhere adequate but not fancy in Chivay. I see there is a Belmond property in Colca Canyon that you might research.
https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south...d-las-casitas/

Be aware of the high elevation going to Colca Canyon.
Elevation From 10,950 ft (3,340 m) at Yanque to 15,685 ft (4,870 m) at Mirador de los Andes on the route between Arequipa and Colca.
A young woman on our van got altitude sickness.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 16, 2023 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We stayed in Arequippa and visited Colca Canyon. There is a beautiful cathedral and convent in Arequippa but otherwise I think Colca Canyon is the point. We did one night in Chivay. Perhaps you could do it in three days? We did:

Day 1 - flight from Lima to Arequippa, city tour
Day 2 - ride from Arequippa to Chivay
Day 3 - early start to see condors at Colca Canyon; afternoon transfer to Arequippa
Day 4 - we went on to Puno but you could back to Lima

Be aware of the high elevation going to Colca Canyon.
Elevation From 10,950 ft (3,340 m) at Yanque to 15,685 ft (4,870 m) at Mirador de los Andes on the route between Arequipa and Colca.
A young woman on our van got altitude sickness.
Noted this is very helpful, we will look into it and do some more research but three days seem reasonable.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 8:39 pm

For our trip to Peru we began and ended with stays in Lima at Belmond Miraflores Park (beautiful room with terrific views, incredibly attentive service, very good on site dining). In the middle, we stayed in Arequipa (boutique hotel Casa Arequipa—lovely people, but would not return), Cusco (Belmond Monasterio—iconic, atmospheric), and Belmond Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge (small room for the huge price, but food, service, and perks of the location made it worthwhile).
Old Sep 16, 2023, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by mykel67
For our trip to Peru we began and ended with stays in Lima at Belmond Miraflores Park (beautiful room with terrific views, incredibly attentive service, very good on site dining). In the middle, we stayed in Arequipa (boutique hotel Casa Arequipa—lovely people, but would not return), Cusco (Belmond Monasterio—iconic, atmospheric), and Belmond Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge (small room for the huge price, but food, service, and perks of the location made it worthwhile).
Thanks for the input and most likely Miraflores Park will be our pick for Lima and I just realized there’s also a Belmond hotel next to Colca Canyon called Las Casitas. The other possibility my travel agent proposed to us was to cut our time at Lima even shorter so we might be able to do a combo with Titilaka and a boutique hotel in Arequipa but the six hours drive in between just sounds painful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.