FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   All things Mandarin Oriental... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1764262-all-things-mandarin-oriental.html)

Zephyrous Jan 4, 2018 1:26 am

Apologies if I wasn’t clear. We had booked a harbour view suite. And therein lies the problem for me...Ignoring any client requests for a harbour view suite on a higher floor, there are suites that are sold and marketed by MO as “harbour view” (with the corresponding rate) but which actually have no view whatsoever.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 4, 2018 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous (Post 29248006)
Apologies if I wasn’t clear. We had booked a harbour view suite. And therein lies the problem for me...Ignoring any client requests for a harbour view suite on a higher floor, there are suites that are sold and marketed by MO as “harbour view” (with the corresponding rate) but which actually have no view whatsoever.

In that case, it’s appalling that you were not allocated the category you booked. You should escalate this with MO and through your TA if it is not resolved to your satisfaction.

Aventine Jan 4, 2018 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous (Post 29248006)

I hope they didn't charge you the original rate either! What a disgrace.

MacMyDay Jan 4, 2018 2:28 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 29246093)
My favorite in Europe is still MO Barcelona, which just shines throughout and keeps getting better. Bodrum declined right on time after the first two years (plus heard some horror stories), Geneva is solid but can't live up to FS Bergues' excellence there, London will hopefully be better after the renovations but not in the top 3 of that market, I have high hopes for Madrid post renovations (especially since Madrid lacks a high end option), Marrakech is OK... (discussed extensively here), Milan and Paris are both successful although I am not particularly fond of them, Prague is declining and Munich is probably the best hotel in town, although a very proud hotel to say the least -- don't think I will be back there for a while.

I think this is where the power of brand kicks in. From all their "fans", to seeing them in Departures, to Conde Nast, to Tatler, and so on and so on. They are so prevalent that you start to believe they must be good. Just like someone recently commented that Four Seasons is rarely the answer, I feel exactly the same about Mandarin Oriental. They are both always the safe options, but the smaller, boutique properties often exceed them.

I've stayed in Bangkok and fail to see the hype this forum gives it, especially compared to The Siam; had an ok stay in Hong Kong at the Landmark, but nothing compared to The Upper House; there isn't even any point in discussing London compared to what else is available; Marrakech is good, but Amanjena is better; I liked the look of Prague, but after giving FS another go I'm happy to stick with them; in Miami the Setai (although different location) is far superior. I would have given them Tokyo as the service was so good, but after an absolutely brilliant stay in Aman I see no reason to return there either. I visited Milan and Paris and found them both soulless, plus you have an abundance of better choices in both cities.

In my experience, Mandarin Oriental is a good choice, it's just not the best.

Aventine Jan 4, 2018 2:50 am

They used to be a solid choice. Had many enjoyable stays at Bangkok, Tokyo, KL, HK but something changed. It must be beancounters or a corporate mindset that they can do no wrong. Success breeds contempt and I think that's what I see in a lot of negative stay posts on MO.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 4, 2018 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 29248160)
They used to be a solid choice. Had many enjoyable stays at Bangkok, Tokyo, KL, HK but something changed. It must be beancounters or a corporate mindset that they can do no wrong. Success breeds contempt and I think that's what I see in a lot of negative stay posts on MO.

MO is actually my favorite in Hong Kong. I’ve also never had a single bad experience in Bangkok or Tokyo.

I am less interested in MO outside of Asia, simply because I have other preferred hotels in most of those locations.

Mickidon Jan 4, 2018 4:17 am

How has the MO Tokyo held up over the years? It was always our favorite property but we haven't stayed there in a few years and I have seen a few comments in reviews about it
being "tired." We plan to go back in a few months and I want to set my expectations accordingly.

Aventine Jan 4, 2018 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon (Post 29248315)
How has the MO Tokyo held up over the years? It was always our favorite property but we haven't stayed there in a few years and I have seen a few comments in reviews about it
being "tired." We plan to go back in a few months and I want to set my expectations accordingly.

I think the 2006 era thick bezel Sharp tvs need to go. Rooms do seem a bit dated. After 11 years, it's to be expected. F&B quality is still excellent. One of the top in the city and I never get sick of the jacuzzi lounger in the sauna area.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 4, 2018 4:48 am

I agree with the above comments.

Personally, I tend to place less emphasis on having the most up to date rooms and suites, and I almost never switch on the television when in Tokyo, so the type of television offered matters little to me. I care very much about comfort, F&B, service, and spa quality - all areas in which MO Tokyo stands out as one of the best hotels in the city.

Aventine Jan 4, 2018 4:58 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29248370)
I agree with the above comments.

Personally, I tend to place less emphasis on having the most up to date rooms and suites, and I almost never switch on the television when in Tokyo, so the type of television offered matters little to me. I care very much about comfort, F&B, service, and spa quality - all areas in which MO Tokyo stands out as one of the best hotels in the city.

I never turn the tv on either but still have to look at it!

Zephyrous Jan 4, 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 29246741)
Not petty at all. You booked the room you wanted and weren't given it. I would have been furious like bhrubin. My last experience at this hotel was similar to yours. A very special occasion but no opportunities for an upgrade. We were given exactly what we paid for and then less with service lapses with said special occasion. Our service recovery was the yellow label base Ruinart. Did you get the same? :D

Their hotel has a bad attitude to anyone who isn't in HK Tatler. The past GM didn't even have the courtesy to reply to my letter or email. I think of the big 3 or 4 HK hotels, I'd give my money to Marcel from TUH everytime. He's quite caring and actually listens to concerns.

I laughed when I read your post Aventine. One of the things that struck me when I was there on both occasions were the other guests which I can break down in four categories:
  • Asian hypebeasts of all ages (I had never seen a middle aged hypebeast before) - I slightly felt relieved for having taken my rarely used Goyard Boeing hold all on this trip as it meant I would somehow have a connection to the rest of the guests but this place had more Balenciaga sock trainers than the stock room at Selfridge's;
  • the HK Tatler crowd;
  • aging Brits from the home counties whose interests include anything "empire" (I wonder what their reaction would be if they discovered that HK has more French expats than Brits). Posh but no Eton or Harrow accents were heard;
  • a small minority of normal tourists.
Our service recovery was indeed a bottle of the base level Ruinart :D and a late check out. I think the staff missed the fact that I was holding a bottle of Belle Epoque upon check in.

Our original rate was the following:

Harbour View Suite
31 December & 1 January: HKD13,000.00

72 square meters extremely spacious corner suite offers innovation and luxurious amenities. A spectacular view of the Victoria Harbour ...
Highlighted the bit above that I wasn't offered. We ended up paying half of the rate above (around 7k HKD) as we were changed to a Harbour View Room. Just to note, something that again is not clear from their website, not all Harbour view rooms have a veranda (despite what the website shows as a floor plan). Then again not all harbour view suites have a view.

Other observations from my stay:
On the positive side, loved the attitude and the wit of the barbers in the barbershop. Some of the staff seemed willing to go above and beyond (others were indifferent).
On the negative side, they seemed to seriously struggle over NYE with service failings in every corner. Some of the concierge staff were great, others not so much (I've never had a concierge tell me to use Opentable myself for a booking).

Aventine Jan 4, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous (Post 29249131)
I laughed when I read your post Aventine. One of the things that struck me when I was there on both occasions were the other guests which I can break down in four categories:
  • the HK Tatler crowd;
  • aging Brits from the home counties whose interests include anything "empire" (I wonder what their reaction would be if they discovered that HK has more French expats than Brits). Posh but no Eton or Harrow accents were heard;
Our service recovery was indeed a bottle of the base level Ruinart :D and a late check out. I think the staff missed the fact that I was holding a bottle of Belle Epoque upon check.

Other observations from my stay:
On the positive side, loved the attitude and the wit of the barbers in the barbershop. Some of the staff seemed willing to go above and beyond (others were indifferent).
On the negative side, they seemed to seriously struggle over NYE with service failings in every corner. Some of the concierge staff were great, others not so much (I've never had a concierge tell me to use Opentable myself for a booking).

David Cameron and George Osborne couldn't make it this New Year's. :D
I've never heard of hypebeasts haha. Just laughed as well.
Are you going to escalate or just write it off as one and done?

MikeFromTokyo Jan 4, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous (Post 29249131)
  • Asian hypebeasts of all ages (I had never seen a middle aged hypebeast before) - I slightly felt relieved for having taken my rarely used Goyard Boeing hold all on this trip as it meant I would somehow have a connection to the rest of the guests but this place had more Balenciaga sock trainers than the stock room at Selfridge's;
  • the HK Tatler crowd;

:D. And yet I have always had fantastic service even though I do not fit into any of the above categories. My HK friend who is a regular introduced me to the hotel, so that could have something to do with it I suppose.

I had to look up the word hypebeast, I’m always learning new vernacular on FT.

It’s good that you were charged the correct rate for the harbour view room. There should have been more of a compensatory gesture, but this is MO after all.

GodAtum Apr 4, 2018 12:14 pm

Anyone signed up to the Fans of MO? Is that a replacement for the MO loyalty program?

gengar Apr 4, 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon (Post 29248315)

It has its staunch defenders on here (would have used the term "fans", but ugh); however, my pre-arrival experience with the MO Tokyo concierge was so appalling that I canceled my reservation (and I had booked an Oriental Suite, no less). I registered a specific complaint to management via e-mail and didn't even get a response, so it's not a property I would ever consider staying at.