Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Bali?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would just enjoy that pool suite. Some do have partial ocean views. Otherwise, I would try to negotiate upsell at check-in.

Excellent re confirmed upgrade to pool at Amandari.

There are three signature suites at Amankila. Kilasari, Indrakila, and Amankila (two bedroom).
​​​
Good to know. I've already contacted the resort to inform them views are important. If there is no view upon check in do I just go to the receptionist and ask about an up-sell upgrade? Or would that be something to talk the manager with?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kimchi278
Good to know. I've already contacted the resort to inform them views are important. If there is no view upon check in do I just go to the receptionist and ask about an up-sell upgrade? Or would that be something to talk the manager with?
You will know once you arrive , ask then .. Likely greeted by the relevant team including the GM if not HM
Which / how many Amans will you be at ? Enjoy
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:34 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Pool suite at Amandari. What could possibly be better than this Peter Muller designed Aman classic?

I cannot comment on Chedi Club. Como Shambhala Estate is the only other option that appeals to me.

I have zero interest in Mandapa. Based on what I know about your travels I think you belong at Amandari. Or perhaps Chedi club, although I have never been there.
Of course I will enjoy Dari, but I have stayed already and like to try something new, at least if people here rate it highly. Will go (back to) Kila after the Ubud stay.

Last edited by Musken; Nov 12, 2018 at 2:25 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:27 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
Mandapa awesome hardware but questionable and suspect service levels.
Could you please elaborate, here or by PM?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Musken
Could you please elaborate, here or by PM?
Will send you a PM.

Last edited by Aventine; Nov 12, 2018 at 6:50 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

You will know once you arrive , ask then .. Likely greeted by the relevant team including the GM if not HM
Which / how many Amans will you be at ? Enjoy

​​​​​​Just two: Kila and Jiwo. But honestly my interaction with Jiwo has been so underwhelming RE: scheduling excursions, etc that I'm very tempted to cancel and just go to Plataran.

My friends who have been long time frequenters of Amans have said repeatedly that AMAN is no longer like the "good ole days" and I'm starting to wonder if they are right. I always just wrote them off as being jaded but Jiwo just said they would charge me $40 setting up an umbrella. I don't mean to sound cheap but it just feels like they are nickel and dime-ing me. I'm 99% sure, Oberoi would GLADLY set up an umbrella and its obviously not about the monetary cost. Its more about feeling welcome and that the staff genuinely care and want to make your experience a great one. Not charge $30 for this and $40 for that.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
​​​​​​Just two: Kila and Jiwo. But honestly my interaction with Jiwo has been so underwhelming RE: scheduling excursions, etc that I'm very tempted to cancel and just go to Plataran.

My friends who have been long time frequenters of Amans have said repeatedly that AMAN is no longer like the "good ole days" and I'm starting to wonder if they are right. I always just wrote them off as being jaded but Jiwo just said they would charge me $40 setting up an umbrella. I don't mean to sound cheap but it just feels like they are nickel and dime-ing me. I'm 99% sure, Oberoi would GLADLY set up an umbrella and its obviously not about the monetary cost. Its more about feeling welcome and that the staff genuinely care and want to make your experience a great one. Not charge $30 for this and $40 for that.
Agree with your friends .. seen the changes in warmth through the years more recently compared to from earlier years - ‘ 89 - in many Amans but not so much in Bali ones - more a Balinese character trait
But with veteran GMs & their teams at Jiwo & Kila , you are in excellent hands
Amans do not have “ concierge “ per se

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 13, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Agree with your friends .. see the changes in warmth from ‘ 89
But with veteran GMs & their teams at Jiwo & Kila , you are in excellent hands

That is reassuring. I am still planning on going to Kila but am on the fence with Jiwo. I will be out and about all day (literally from 4:30 am to sunset) so I wont be using their facilities or relaxing in the room. I booked with them because I thought they would have an outstanding concierge. But it seems they are very ordinary.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:10 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
That is reassuring. I am still planning on going to Kila but am on the fence with Jiwo. I will be out and about all day (literally from 4:30 am to sunset) so I wont be using their facilities or relaxing in the room. I booked with them because I thought they would have an outstanding concierge. But it seems they are very ordinary.
Couple of things:
- Forgetting everything else, the views from Jiwo are worth it alone
- Bear in mind you're likely dealing with someone in reservations; just email Ian to let him know what you want and it'll be sorted out.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Couple of things:
- Forgetting everything else, the views from Jiwo are worth it alone
- Bear in mind you're likely dealing with someone in reservations; just email Ian to let him know what you want and it'll be sorted out.
I was dealing with someone from front desk I think. I am assuming that Ian is the GM?

It's a bit late now as everything is sorted but I am not impressed to say the least.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:47 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I was dealing with someone from front desk I think. I am assuming that Ian is the GM?

It's a bit late now as everything is sorted but I am not impressed to say the least.
Just alert Ian of your arrival and let him know frustrations re: dealing with front desk/reservations and make sure everything is prepped.

Yes, Ian is the GM.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Just alert Ian of your arrival and let him know frustrations re: dealing with front desk/reservations and make sure everything is prepped.

Yes, Ian is the GM.
but I’m just not sure if my frustrations are “legitimate” or I’m being over the top finicky bc it’s “aman”. Like guests who get annoyed that a server asked their name in the restaurant. I always think that’s so stupid so I don’t want to be one of those 🤣🤣🤣 do you think the frustration is legit ?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but I’m just not sure if my frustrations are “legitimate” or I’m being over the top finicky bc it’s “aman”. Like guests who get annoyed that a server asked their name in the restaurant. I always think that’s so stupid so I don’t want to be one of those 🤣🤣🤣 do you think the frustration is legit ?
It can be. Often, the English level is rudimentary in these remote locales and it takes a higher up to get the specific things we need done. Ian is fabulous and you will have a great, wonderful stay there. No where else compares in Yogyakarta.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:41 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
@Kimchi278 Be sure to visit Jiwo in addition to Kila...Just had another client leave Jiwo with nothing but praises! Still one of the more special Amans. Ian and team still resemble the old Aman Ethos.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
@Kimchi278 Be sure to visit Jiwo in addition to Kila...Just had another client leave Jiwo with nothing but praises! Still one of the more special Amans. Ian and team still resemble the old Aman Ethos.
The day Ian leaves is when the foundation falls out from underneath Aman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.