Ruined for life (FS Hong Kong)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle

I stayed at the Four Seasons in HKG over the weekend, as is my custom when in HKG. I love staying at the Four Seasons in HKG as it is a great hotel and has the inestimable benefit of being able to be reached from the airport without having to leave airconditioning. It was rather hot in HKG this weekend and this benefit was very significant.

I had booked an Executive Club Deluxe Harbour View room as I was treating myself to a "mini-break".

Check-in went smoothly, but the check-in clerk insisted on accompanying me to my room. When he opened the door, he said he was pleased to have been able to upgrade me to a suite!

The suite turned out to be a deluxe suite. It was beautifully appointed and everything about it oozed class. It had a separate king bedroom with huge bathroom (including steam room and the biggest bathtub I've ever seen) and dressing room, and an enormous combined living/dining/study area, with a separate kitchen and powder room. The suite was bigger than the ground floor of my own home! And had two of the most gigantic flat screen TVs I've ever laid eyes on.

Needless to say, I am ruined for life. There is no way I can go back to a standard room (well, except that I can't afford a deluxe suite everytime I stay at a Four Seasons property). But it was a good strategy on the part of Four Seasons - I have a strong feeling that at some point I will rationalise to myself that I need to stay in a deluxe suite again, and they'll get their money back.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
Welcome to the other side!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
oh the horror!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: BA, VS, SU
It's a difficult life...

I hope you get well soon
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
This Suite Looks great and I hope for an upgrade at my stay too. OK, at least I may dream.

Serious question: Does anyone know how the policy with Upgrades in HK is? I will book a Harbor View or Grand Harbor View Suite. I like the Harbor View Suite more from its layout, but if an upgrade is realistic I think about the Grand Harbor View
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:56 am

Sometimes an upgrade means that I cannot imagine going back again as the initial stay was so great that future stays will not live up to the comparison. Do you see what I mean?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:18 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Haha, I know the feeling!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Sometimes an upgrade means that I cannot imagine going back again as the initial stay was so great that future stays will not live up to the comparison. Do you see what I mean?
True....
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

Love posts like these

Reminds me of my first visit to the St. Regis NY.

The though of going back to a "mere" W or Hilton or JW was insane!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I want to be ruined too! lol

My first ever room was a stinky (literally, smelly stinky) Harbour view room but they were very generous in the end.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Oh, wonderful!! I was a bit scared to start reading this tread after seeing the heading - knowing I will be there in October - but this was a wonderful surprise.

I remember a several category upgrade we got in another FS once. We were not happy with our initial room and asked to see some alternatives. They only had one of the larger suites available, and I almost told my husband that we should just not look at it as it was way over our budget. We finally decided to have a look. When my husband politely questioned about the difference in rate, I heard the magic words "no, this is not an upsell - it is an upgrade!!"
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:28 pm

Upgrades

Just had that Four Season experience in Whistler BC. My husband had hurt his leg and the room they assigned us was not ready and was a long walk that upgrade fairy came along with a suite close by with a view to die for.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Exactement!

The dilemma will come when I next book at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong...I can just see the conversation with myself in my head:

Good me: The deluxe suite really is too much. You'll only be there for 2 days.

Bad me: But the deluxe suite was soooo nice. Remember how you much you enjoyed it.

Good me: It isn't responsible to spend that much on a two night stay.

Bad me: Go on, you've worked for it, you deserve it and you're worth it.

Good me: Weeelllll....
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Chalkie
Exactement!

The dilemma will come when I next book at the Four Seasons in Hong Kong...I can just see the conversation with myself in my head:

Bad me: But the deluxe suite was soooo nice. Remember how you much you enjoyed it.

Bad me: You really need it, evrything unter 1500 sqft is inhumane

Good me: Yes, but

Bad me: Imagine you must see the Deluxe Suite on the floor plan while staying in a room!

Good me: It`s more than double Price and perhaps you get an upgrade again

Bad me: Don`t risk anything! Imagine the possible upgrade to the Imperial Suite!

Good me: Really, it`s possible? Would be such a good deal!!!!

Always this dilema

Last edited by offerendum; Jul 8, 2014 at 3:41 am
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Chalkie
Exactement!

Aha, yes..... I know when I start telling myself I DESERVE it, I am gathering pace on that slide down the slippery slope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.