Wiki Posts
Search

Mauritius / Cape Town or elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Mauritius / Cape Town or elsewhere?

I've booked a safari to S. Africa and will be flying in and out of Jo'burg. After 8 nights of safari, now planning a week of vacation elsewhere.

Currently thinking of Mauritius which is around 4 hours away or someone said Cape Town. It is the first time for us down to that region. Someone said we should go to Cape Town. Another said Mauritius.

What suggestions do you have for a luxury vacation for a week?

We will be traveling with kids (8 and 5 years old).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mauritius - FS has large residential villas which can be inexpensive, various packages, and >

http://web.archive.org/web/201207021...ercle-sportif/

Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita is introducing its Cercle Sportif, whereby guests are offered the opportunity to partner with one of the Resort’s staff - from the groundskeeper to the general manager - in their preferred sport.
The Cercle Sportif unites guests and staff of all skill levels from around the world.
ZA >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by bagold
Sweni where we will take the entire lodge
btw if doing capetown >
birkenhead villa (outside capetown)
ellerman villa (in capetown)
could also look at places like la residence, delaire graff (and perhaps grand provence, which is a huka retreat)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I spent a few nights at the Steenberg in Capetown and it was very, very nice. Dunno how it would be with kids and if you want a separate room for them or not, but it was a very nice property. Just south of town on a vineyard with great food and easy access to other places on the Cape.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
What time of year are you going?

Cape Town is sensational in the South African summer. In the South African summer it will be the wet season in Mauritius.

In the middle of the year, the opposite will be the case, ie. winter in Cape Town but the dry season in Mauritius.

I would be guided by the time of year you are going to be in the area, in determining whether I would choose Cape Town or Mauritius. I am sure both destinations would be great on a good day.

Last edited by QF Lad; Sep 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Do you want a beach vacation for your children? If so, then Mauritius.

Do you want a more culturally diverse vacation? If so, then Cape Town.

I'm from southern California, and I found Mauritius a bit bland. I toured the entire island, and probably enjoyed the tea plantation tour the most of anything I did. Otherwise, it was a great place to hang out at the hotel and use the beach. Since I live blocks from the beach, I didn't find that very interesting. But I believe you are living in Hong Kong these days, and that might be just the kind of holiday end you want before returning to urban life.

Cape Town is wonderful, a beautiful city with lots to do in it and surrounding it. The children would probably love the penguin colonies south of the city. You also see big baboons when you go to Cape Hope. There are the vineyards nearby, some with terrific restaurants. There are a range of museums in Cape Town, some telling the story of apartheid, some of gold and other art. There's the cable car ride up to the top of the mountain. You'd be in a car or taxi much more in Cape Town since you need to go out and about to enjoy these places, whereas at a Mauritius hotel, the family can simply spill out from the room onto the beach.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 30, 2013 at 11:24 am Reason: Oops, Cape Hope not Cape Horn.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
In terms of the elsewhere, I would have thought the Seychelles over Mauritius, however my opinion is only based on feedback from other travellers.

Last edited by QF Lad; Sep 8, 2013 at 3:39 am
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:04 am

Wonderful summary from SD1K - I don't live in Southern California and I found Mauritius bland too although some of the beaches are gorgeous - especially the Ilot Magenie the private island of Le Touessrok. If you want an island the Seychelles are much more scenic and the main town on Mahe - Victoria is interesting. Depends on flight schedules of course.
ZA also has some very nice beaches close to CT - you could stay at Camps Bay which is a beach suburb.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:15 am

Constance le Prince Maurice is by far the best on Mauritius, especially since its massive refurbishment. A wonderful place to spend a week.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:40 am

I liked Mauritius. We rented a car and drove everywhere and found a proper nation state, with a diverse cultural mix, some lovely beaches without hotels on them and some spectacular scenery. We were staying two weeks at Le Prince - beautiful place with arguably the most consistently great resort food we've ever had. We dropped into both the Oberoi and the FS and didn't like either very much - the former has an awful man-made beach and the FS is too golfy for me.

However, if the choice currently is between Cape Town, Mauritius and the Seychelles, I'd throw in a fourth option, even with kids in tow, and that is Madagascar. I've not been there myself but there is a Relais & Chateaux property, Anjajavy, that looks almost too good to be true. You even get lemurs as entertainment.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Pausanias
However, if the choice currently is between Cape Town, Mauritius and the Seychelles, I'd throw in a fourth option, even with kids in tow, and that is Madagascar. I've not been there myself but there is a Relais & Chateaux property, Anjajavy, that looks almost too good to be true. You even get lemurs as entertainment.
Now see what you've gone and done! That casual remark has set my mind in the direction of Madagascar and I will probably be in Anjajavy within the next few weeks.

As an aside: for a very third world country it is proving mighty expensive.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:15 am

Delighted to have been of some assistance! If you go to Anjajavy let us all know what you thought of it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
I found Mauritius to be pretty dull - thinking of heading there with a 6 month old ourselves given it's does what it says on the tin - decent (not Asia, Seychelles or Caribbean decent in my opinion) beaches and all the usual stuff you'd expect.

Cape Town and garden route is spectacular in my opinion. Cape Horn drive is brilliant fun (PM me if you decide to do it as a friend who grew up there gave us a great itinerary), hit the winelands for amazing food and drink at 20% of what you'd pay in Europe or the US (as the above mentions, my wife and I had a great meal at Graff for £55 that would set you back £250 in the UK). You could also head along the coast if you wanted to see the ostriches and whales (Hermanaus).

Another alternative would be to tag something on up at vic falls or if you want truly different Namibia. If you end up in Swakopmond, do Tommy's living desert - the kids will love it!!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:07 am

Delighted to have been of some assistance! If you go to Anjajavy let us all know what you thought of it.
Anjajavy is a great shout if you get the chance - far more interesting than Mauritius. Equally so is Reunion for that matter - kids can learn about Volcano too.

Sorry to throwing around ideas but a lot of my SA friends hit the islands off Mozambique ahead of Mauritius or the Seychelles. He did wedding in the winelands, safari, 2 days in Dullstroom (Walkersons lodge is SO relaxing) and then headed up to Mozambique. Final option I'd throw into the mix would be Durban - fantastic water park for them at Ushaka, Natal shark board and/or battlefields would be interesting for them close to safari options, and then the Oyster Box is a great hotel and beach.

Lots of fun places in the area. Enjoy!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Byrneand

Cape Town and garden route is spectacular in my opinion. Cape Horn drive is brilliant fun.
The last time I looked Cape Horn was on the tip of South America. Isn't it the Cape of Good Hope?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:21 am

The last time I looked Cape Horn was on the tip of South America. Isn't it the Cape of Good Hope?
Same hemisphere!! Yep you're right; apologies. I blame SanDiego1K.

Both are great spots mind you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.