Reload this Page >

Gallivanter's Guide Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gallivanter's Guide Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
If you want to provide constructive feedback to a company about their product, is it best to contact that company directly or is it best to post on a large website anonymously in the off chance that someone will notice your comments and take note of an anonymous remark?. Personally, I'd take the first option. Travel wise I've had a lot of success that way. Griping or praising on this forum hasn't had a lot, no any, effect for me.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what areas/properties could (most) use reviews?
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
would everyone who had a disastrous stay be contacted by the hotel's President of Operations and offered the complimentary stay. This is actually the second such occasion I know of where this has happened.
then you have missed service recovery discussion here. regulars here know what to communicate to who.

Originally Posted by namaguide
Thanks for this. What about parrot cay, uma paro and como shambala?
how much caribbean does she do? sounded like you were saying to do other places.
you understand that como shambhala was begawan giri?
Originally Posted by Revolution
Begawan Giri was also reviewed before it became a COMO property.
Originally Posted by namaguide
I was the week before she was arriving at Amantaka and the whole resort was in a military operation to clean and tidy everything. I asked the GM what was going on and he said that they were preparing for Lyn's arrival.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
If you want to provide constructive feedback to a company about their product, is it best to contact that company directly or is it best to post on a large website anonymously in the off chance that someone will notice your comments and take note of an anonymous remark?. Personally, I'd take the first option. Travel wise I've had a lot of success that way. Griping or praising on this forum hasn't had a lot, no any, effect for me.
Thanks, I was trying to say something along those lines in my post above.

I really do think we have had enough discussion on these two issues. There are no significant new points being raised so let's give it a rest or I'll have to start deleting posts.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels forum
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:56 pm

I do remember the review of The Aman New Delhi from the GG not being so wonderful and they knew she was coming.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zigzag
I do remember the review of The Aman New Delhi from the GG not being so wonderful and they knew she was coming.
And the westbury in Dublin,which iirc Lyn,couldn't wait to leave...

This leads me back to a positive and crucial point-If you are retaining Lyn's services,in my experience you get value for your buck way beyond just the publication,you should be and I did be getting the benefit of her vast array of contacts in the industry.

2nd point is,we know she's well known and ergo can't deliver a secret shopper experience but her readers do.I can honestly attest to several extremely helpfull email conversations over the years.Related to that,subscriber feedback as I stated already is a secret shopper effect.

I'd expect similar from other guides.

Hotels by the way that ignore her,and allow her to experience shoddy service,only underlines how ridiculously bad/inattentive/unprofessional or just plain not clued in,their management must be.
It might be no harm to avoid them,if it's a true luxury experience you're after as if they lapse at that,you're bound to be let down yourself there eventually.

That's all I can say really.

Now about that electronic edition...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:32 am

As a newcomer to this Forum I've been browsing some older threads, including this one, which I have found very interesting. I used to subscribe to GG but gave it up because Ms Middlehurst didn't ever go to the places I wanted to go to. She goes to hotels. I go to countries, islands, cities, whatever, and if there's a decent hotel there that's all to the good. Recently I've been to Pitcairn, St Helena, Tristan da Cunha and other remote places and I certainly didn't bother about finding an Amanresort.

I think Ms Middlehurst now has an unhealthy obsession with brand-name shopping, one or two hotel chains etc, so she has become an anachronism. She is FAR less adventurous than her obvious mentor, Rene Lecler, who went to places like Vanuatu or Yemen or Papua New Guinea or Samoa and praised hotels for being . . . well, just for being there and showing some true character. I remember being fixated on the Karawari Lodge for years as well as Le Lagon Hotel in Port Vila. I don't think Ms Middlehurst would even venture out there.

There is something strange and elusive about Ms Middlehurst - she knows the business, she writes well, but there's also something a bit bogus about all that conspicuous wealth,and its hard to find out anything definitive about her. Try GoogleEarthing her house, for instance . . . she seems to be living a bit vicariously.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 19, 2013 at 4:32 am
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
She definitely exists, there is stuff around about her pre-GG career in advertising if you know where to look!

Part of your critique is correct, though. GG is great if you are prepared to go anywhere to find the right hotel to stay at. And we all have holidays like that, where the hotel dictates the destination. However, we also all have holiday where we decide to go to a certain place and need to know the best place to stay - that is where the coverage is weak, because there is no attempt to systematically cover the main places a wealthy traveller likes to go.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
My husband bought me GG for Christmas this year and I've really been enjoying it. This past issue had a great Prague update, as well as touched upon several other interesting hotel developments all around the world (that even though I enjoy staying up to date, hadn't heard). If the first issue I've read is representative, she focuses on hospitality with a big "H" meaning that she reports back on how well a hotel focuses on guests well being in all ways, health, pampering, cultural, even spiritual. I think its well worth the subscription price.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am much more interested in destination first, hotel second- this being said I have collected some very good information from GG.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
As a newcomer to this Forum I've been browsing some older threads, including this one, which I have found very interesting. I used to subscribe to GG but gave it up because Ms Middlehurst didn't ever go to the places I wanted to go to. She goes to hotels. I go to countries, islands, cities, whatever, and if there's a decent hotel there that's all to the good. Recently I've been to Pitcairn, St Helena, Tristan da Cunha and other remote places and I certainly didn't bother about finding an Amanresort.

I think Ms Middlehurst now has an unhealthy obsession with brand-name shopping, one of two hotel chains etc, so she has become an anachronism. She is FAR less adventurous than her obvious mentor, Rene Lecler, who went to places like Vanuatu or Yemen or Papua New Guinea or Samoa and praised hotels for being . . . well, just for being there and showing some true character.

There is something strange and elusive about Ms Middlehurst....
Strange and elusive! I suspect Lyn will like that description but the truth is as a subscriber she is easily contactactable and replies very quickly to all queries.
She has a wealth of knowledge about whats going on in many hotels as she gets regular feedback from her Subscribers too.

It is obvious you are an adventurous traveller and good for you, but that means you must have to compromise on the quality of your accommodation when travelling to some places.

The Gallivanters Guide does as it says " Setting the benchmark for high-end travellers" and it does this really well, getting to many of the newly opened hotels within days of opening.

I personally love the guide. it's not only bang up to date and really informative to the smallest detail, it's also beautifully written with gorgeous photos.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Strange and elusive! I suspect Lyn will like that description but the truth is as a subscriber she is easily contactactable and replies very quickly to all queries.
She has a wealth of knowledge about whats going on in many hotels as she gets regular feedback from her Subscribers too.

It is obvious you are an adventurous traveller and good for you, but that means you must have to compromise on the quality of your accommodation when travelling to some places.

The Gallivanters Guide does as it says " Setting the benchmark for high-end travellers" and it does this really well, getting to many of the newly opened hotels within days of opening.

I personally love the guide. it's not only bang up to date and really informative to the smallest detail, it's also beautifully written with gorgeous photos.
I agree completely ^
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Anyone know Lynn's pick for best hotel of 2012? I live in the US so my January issue hasn't arrived yet and I am curious. I predict Amangiri.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Anyone know Lynn's pick for best hotel of 2012? I live in the US so my January issue hasn't arrived yet and I am curious. I predict Amangiri.
Spoiler alert for anyone else who wants to wait for their guide to arrive....

.....It's Amanzoe Groombridge I haven't been yet, can't wait. David's photos looked amazing in the guide!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
Has anybody received the March issue yet ? (I am located in Switzerland)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by GK1998
Has anybody received the March issue yet ? (I am located in Switzerland)
Yes. It was about new hotels in London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.