Wiki Posts
Search

Hamburg Luxury Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Autograph (like Curio, Tribute) is a hands off brand with no brand standards except 'be of high quality'. Works for owners who want operational freedom but still want to be part of a big marketing system.

It is not even a management contract AFAIK. I doubt the GM will work for Marriott, whereas a St Regis GM - and perhaps another couple of top people - usually would.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Autograph (like Curio, Tribute) is a hands off brand with no brand standards except 'be of high quality'. Works for owners who want operational freedom but still want to be part of a big marketing system.

It is not even a management contract AFAIK. I doubt the GM will work for Marriott, whereas a St Regis GM - and perhaps another couple of top people - usually would.
Exactly... if I’m not mistaken Hyatt is trying the same with their Unbound Collection. It can work if it is a solid owner with an understanding of luxury hospitality but it rarely is the case.

Hamburg is an extremely difficult market, which I am trying to avoid if I don’t have to be there for business. Low rates and HR difficulties don’t make for good hotel experiences.

I wonder how The Fontenay will be and if it will have an impact on rates. Probably a little ‘caprice’ of the Kühne family, which will double as residence for their important clients and partners.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by scented
Low rates and HR difficulties don’t make for good hotel experiences.
In my impression rates went up over the last time, at least at Vier Jahreszeiten.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
In my impression rates went up over the last time, at least at Vier Jahreszeiten.
They did go up, but still ADR at most luxury hotels hovers around 250-ish EUR — compare that to Munich, where they can easily charge triple the rates.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by scented

They did go up, but still ADR at most luxury hotels hovers around 250-ish EUR — compare that to Munich, where they can easily charge triple the rates.
Yes, Munich is more expensive. But not that much. Rates for an entire level room reach rarely 750 € while it is not easy to get a room at VJ for 250 €.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:38 am

Family is booked at the Park Hyatt during the Hamburg Marathon Weekend.

I'm flying in one night early so am thinking about trying

- Kempinski Atlantic (GHA Black)
- Fairmont (Virtuoso)

beforehand to try something else.

Is the Fairmont still the better choice in Hamburg?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, Vier Jahreszeiten is better.
ctrlf likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:13 am

Opening end of this week is what could be the best hotel ever in Hamburg - the Fontenay - https://www.thefontenay.de/en/
ctrlf likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:22 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Opening end of this week is what could be the best hotel ever in Hamburg - the Fontenay - https://www.thefontenay.de/en/
Oh, exciting. I was just going to ask when it will open. Just around the corner from where we used to live in Hamburg. Love the quiet, recidential area close to the Alster lake. A few nice restaurants quite close. A nice walk into the real city center, or taxi of course - or in summer there is even a boat that you can take.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Will try it but location is not so great in my eyes. Yes it is nice at the Alster but it’s always a walk or drive to the city.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:43 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum

Will try it but location is not so great in my eyes. Yes it is nice at the Alster but it’s always a walk or drive to the city.
In most cities I would agree, but Hamburg, which was originally several smaller villages growing together to one big city, is different in my view. It is not really in the "city center" where the action is happening, except for real high end shopping (Chanel, Gucci etc. at the street Neuer Wall). Up market shopping is happening in Eppendorf, "cooler and younger" shopping in Schanzeviertel or Winterhude - all three much more interesting than the city center. Restaurants are spread out everywhere, actually very, very few of the best ones in the city center, same for bars and nightclubs. This means that whereever you stay, you will need to walk or drive to get to your things to do, at least for the typical tourist. If you are there for work, I can understand if you want to be able to walk to the officie or whatever you are there to visit.

Of course up to the traveller, just meant at some insights from someone who lived there many years.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Picture gallery of Fontenay: Hamburger Sternehotel: Ein Rundgang durch das Hotel Fontenay - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Reise
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:34 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ngfan
Thank you. It looks spectacular!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will give it a try last time.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
We recently stayed at The Fontenay for three evenings. We booked a Deluxe room, but with Virtuoso amenities were upgraded at booking to a Premier on high floor (but with city, not lake view). Virtuoso amenities also included free breakfast and $100 of F&B credit. We arrived early at about noon and were accommodated without delay.

First and foremost, the architecture and design of this property is spectacular. In almost every hotel one goes it, it's not too difficult to find places where the owner cut corners to save a few bucks. This is not the case at The Fontenay, as it appears that no expense was spared.

We loved the room, which had top notch furnishings. We aren't ones who need cavernous rooms, sitting areas or bathrooms, so the size was perfect for us. Perhaps some might find the bathroom a bit too cozy with only one washbasin. For those who are interested, the hotel uses Molton Brown toiletries (which are much too floral for us, but that many people enjoy). We took advantage of the unusually good Hamburg weather to sit on the balcony and enjoy the surroundings.

The room was quite high tech and even after three days we still weren't overly fluent in operating things successfully all the time. The Internet connection was not stable at times and was slow to logon.

Service attitude among employees, from reception and the concierges to the restaurant wait staff, was outstanding throughout.

The location was lovely next to Alster Lake, but admittedly if one is relying on public transport, it is a bit of a trek to the closest U or S bahn stations. The 109 bus stop is only a short walk from the hotel and proved useful. We rented bikes one day and this made getting around quite easy.

The rooftop bar is a great place to have an afternoon drink while watching the boats on the lake.

Final touches were still being put on the spa space. This is one area of the hotel that does not seem entirely successful. It's easy to walk from the rooftop bar over to the pool and into the spa area, which isn't ideal from a privacy standpoint. To get to and from the pool from the spa entrance, one has to walk in front of a bunch of relaxation loungers, which may not be so relaxing for those suing them. The pool is part inside and part outside, but can be closed off using a glass divider that is deceptively easy to swim into. The gym has fine equipment. We didn't do any spa treatments.

Breakfast was a bit unusual. It is mostly a la carte, except for a small buffet area off to the side that has extra fruits, yogurts, meat, cheese, and breads. The hotel is clearly aiming to personalize the service at breakfast. While we don't mind having a leisurely breakfast, I could see that it could be frustrating for those who want to grab a bite and go.

We ordered off the bar menu one afternoon. The food was so so (and only lukewarm) and the prices ridiculous. And it took about 50 minutes just to get our burger and currywurst. The bar staff apologized, saying that all the prepared food has to come from the ground level where the kitchen is. We heard several times from staff about some of the kitchen bottlenecks. We are not fussy eaters and typically wouldn't eat int he hotel so the service issues in this respect were not a big deal for us.

The Fontenay is a big step forward for the city (which is a great destination) in the quality of lodging it offers. All in all, we really loved our stay, despite the kinks here and there that need to be worked out. Many admitted that the hotel is still in the trial and error period, so some changes will be coming in the future.

The Tortue is opening in a couple of months, offering another new property in a prime location not far from Neuer Wall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.