FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   English countryside hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1113800-english-countryside-hotels.html)

MacMyDay Apr 21, 2017 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr (Post 28210962)
The garlic tiger prawns might just change your life.

They probably will, just not for the reasons you think - I'm allergic!

jp-mco Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 28210986)
They probably will, just not for the reasons you think - I'm allergic!

Oh no! I can't recommend any other starters as I've only ever had the prawns...

MacMyDay Apr 24, 2017 5:19 am

Had a very enjoyable stay in Coworth Park over the weekend. The room was beautiful, the grounds spectacular and my girlfriend really enjoyed her horse ride, which unfortunately I couldn't go on as they didn't have size 13 shoes available. Service was very, very good and probably the best I've ever experienced out in the English countryside.

Unfortunately I can't agree with the comments above about the food, in particular The Barn, as we thought it was like pub food, but with Mayfair prices. But boy did they take feedback seriously. One of the receptionists asked what we thought and we said we didn't enjoy The Barn and before we knew it the Hotel Manager was talking to us and even emailed a few hours after our departure to apologise for that and other points that were just minor pieces of feedback. The meal was fully comped just based on us making a passing comment. As we didn't want fine dining, we ended up eating in their main restaurant and by the 3rd meal had ran out of things to eat, so ended up having sandwiches for dinner. Chewton Glen had such a superior food product that it was almost incomparable, but unlike Chewton, the clientele at Coworth aren't so old they only go on about how bad things were during the war, so there is that in their favour.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd go back again in a hurry, as to me a countryside resort is an amazing spa and great food and Coworth didn't offer either. I thought it was a shame that with all their space, they didn't offer more facilities at the spa, especially to help reduce the crowds. Their pool is so shallow it was was clearly designed for children (who are allowed 9 > 11 and 4 > 5:30), but for such a child friendly resort I'd have thought they would have a separate pool and leave the adults in peace, as seeing it get close to 4 and knowing you had to leave to maintain sanity wasn't my favourite moment. It's also completely separated from the main building, so getting there involves going over and getting changed, which is quite the contrast to the spontaneity of it being a quick walk in your robe.

I think it's an amazing property, but given the choice, I would pick Chewton again.

jp-mco Apr 24, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks for sharing your experience Tom. I always think it's interesting to see how what's almost perfect for one person isn't for another. Is it that you thought the food at The Barn low quality or that you don't like gastropub (which is the menu inspiration) food?

We've stayed at Coworth Park before we had our daughter and afterwards and both times I can't say we were unduly bothered by kids. As someone who's had to make a lot of recent lifestyle adjustments since becoming a parent I do prefer hotels that don't separate adults and families. It almost always inevitably ends up that a kid's pool isn't comfortable for an adult so I would much prefer a pool which we can all enjoy together. Also there's then no discussion about which parent goes to the kids pool and which goes to the adults pool. I realise that's not perfect for those who don't want to be around kids but I do think 5 hours of exclusive adult use is pretty generous especially when families only get 3.5 hours. So, on balance, I think the little guest to bigger guest pool time ratio is pretty good. My wife always complains about the spa being separate to the main building.

Glad you experienced superb service though and I always think it's good that when hotels solicit feedback that they act on it almost immediately. I've always found that to be one of the hallmarks of Dorchester Collection properties.

Did you think the hard product was better at Coworth Park or Chewton Glen?

MacMyDay Apr 24, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr (Post 28222229)
Thanks for sharing your experience Tom. I always think it's interesting to see how what's almost perfect for one person isn't for another. Is it that you thought the food at The Barn low quality or that you don't like gastropub (which is the menu inspiration) food?

Did you think the hard product was better at Coworth Park or Chewton Glen?

I love simplistic food done well, but we both thought The Barn was very poor quality and we ordered different starters and mains; didn't bother with a dessert. My steak was tasteless, whilst my partner thought her fish was greasy and without flavour. The salmon starter was so small that it looked like an amuse bouche. In comparison, we go once a week to The Beaumont and love how well they do simple dishes. They also charge less than Coworth Park, which is quite incredible when you compare the difference in locations.

It's a fair point on the swimming pool. It's not a problem for us normally, as places like Whatley Manor don't allow kids and Chewton Glen has its spa area that is adults only. Coworth only has the pool and nowhere else to hang around.

In terms of which is best....

Location = draw, as Coworth is only 40 minutes from London vs Chewton is nearly 2 hours. I prefer Chewton being walking distance to the coast.
Setting = Coworth - the grounds are so beautiful.
Activities = Draw, as they're very similar, although Coworth has the stables on site and I don't believe Chewton does.
Rooms = Draw, but our suite at Coworth was clearly of higher spec than Chewton, but Chewton treehouses are really beautiful
Spa = Chewton
Food = Chewton
Room setup = Coworth. One of the best and thought thorough stay lists I've seen
Service = Coworth

jp-mco Apr 24, 2017 8:04 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 28222410)
I love simplistic food done well, but we both thought The Barn was very poor quality and we ordered different starters and mains; didn't bother with a dessert. My steak was tasteless, whilst my partner thought her fish was greasy and without flavour. The salmon starter was so small that it looked like an amuse bouche. In comparison, we go once a week to The Beaumont and love how well they do simple dishes. They also charge less than Coworth Park, which is quite incredible when you compare the difference in locations.

It's a fair point on the swimming pool. It's not a problem for us normally, as places like Whatley Manor don't allow kids and Chewton Glen has its spa area that is adults only. Coworth only has the pool and nowhere else to hang around.

In terms of which is best....

Location = draw, as Coworth is only 40 minutes from London vs Chewton is nearly 2 hours. I prefer Chewton being walking distance to the coast.
Setting = Coworth - the grounds are so beautiful.
Activities = Draw, as they're very similar, although Coworth has the stables on site and I don't believe Chewton does.
Rooms = Draw, but our suite at Coworth was clearly of higher spec than Chewton, but Chewton treehouses are really beautiful
Spa = Chewton
Food = Chewton
Room setup = Coworth. One of the best and thought thorough stay lists I've seen
Service = Coworth

I wonder if there has been a change of chef at The Barn since our last visit. We've never had bad food there and when it comes to food I'm not easy to impress. Very strange. Did you hear anyone else voice similar concerns?

Regarding spa / pool - I suggest avoiding Four Seasons Hampshire... there's only 1 hour of adults only time there! But they do have an outdoor (heated!) jacuzzi that you have to swim through a small channel to get to.

Kagehitokiri May 8, 2017 9:53 am

wonder what kind of dining they can arrange, recently opened to public >
hinwick-house.uk/staying.html
robbreport.com/luxury-travel/heres-how-book-stay-charming-country-estate-england
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinwick_House
rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31012905.html
mansionglobal.com/articles/44905-for-17-67-million-a-replica-of-buckingham-palace

? 1 night 2BR north turret cottage
? lunch / dinner

exclusive use
£8500 2 night
£14500 7 night

latest departure at delayed/suspended Heckfield Place hotel >
thecaterer.com/articles/493712/heckfield-place-loses-its-executive-chef

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 28276750)

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 28262930)
MacMyDay - If you get to Gidleigh Park you might look at nearby Lympstone Manor, the brand-new hotel opened by Michael Caines, the long-standing chef at Gidleigh Park now striking out as the West Country's answer to Raymond Blanc. The house looks beautiful and there are views across the Exe estuary, though there isn't anything else as yet, except for the restaurant of course. Prices are pitched at the luxury level.

I have decided to stay here

his other hotels are Palé Hall Wales and Kentisbury Grange North Devon

MacMyDay Jun 15, 2017 10:07 am

Lympstone Manor photos:

Positives
  • The food is excellent, whether that is a simple lunch or fine dining. A gorgeous beef carpaccio for £13 felt excellent value, until the two-slices of bread BLT for £16 hurt my soul. £110 for a 3 course dinner + 12.5% service charge doesn't feel great value either, but the food was deserving of the undoubted 2 stars that will come his way.
  • Beautiful views onto the estuary along with well kept grounds
  • The hotel looks and feels luxurious, especially the decorations.
  • We both had a great sleep

Negatives:
  • Every email prior to arrival took days to receive a response. Last night we saw 4 people just hanging around reception, so it was clearly not a lack of staff.
  • 9 weeks after opening and it's still a work in progress. There was a lot of noise from construction going on.
  • My last 2 properties I purchased were brand new, so I know a snag list when I see one. I could have spent hours going through the glaring issues that were apparent from either unfinished work or poor workmanship. There are some really nice touches, such as AirPlay built into the TVs, but then none of it worked and it was further countered by stupid decisions that are easily fixable, including no shower shelf, so you had to leave your toiletries on the floor.
  • We booked a Junior Suite and felt it was too small, so looked at alternative rooms: another Junior, which was even smaller and a Master Suite, that whilst one level above ours, was somehow even smaller still, but had an outside patio and outside bath that no one will ever use as you have no privacy in it.

This is chef Michael Caines restaurant; this is his hotel; this is his child of love. That's not an issue if you're either a truly hospitable person, which as TV has taught us over the last 20 years, does not apply to chefs - my last encounter of him at Gidleigh Park resulted in a silent dining room hearing him loudly swearing in the kitchen.

I have never felt so uncomfortable in a hotel before as having the owner rushing around and getting angry over anything he felt appropriate. This is further a problem, as there is nothing to do. If the sun wasn't shining, your options would be limited to being in the bar, waiting to inevitably learn that your breathing was annoying Michael, or hiding in your room, hoping Michael cannot find you or try his best "Heeeere's Johnny" impersonation. The overall ambience of the place just wasn't for us either; we're in the middle of the countryside, yet everyone is walking around with white gloves like I'm in an era where women couldn't speak, let alone vote, which is probably Michael's dream era of critical ignorant bliss. It felt too formal in places, like I could imagine them seeing that I used the wrong knife on my 7th course and coming over to strangle me.

The sheer level of discomfort we felt is hard to describe. Seeing Michael stalking us after complaining about the sandwich being cold was the beginning of the end of our stay. They took 30 minutes to bring chips for our lunch, by which time we had finished all the desserts and coffees. My girlfriend asking for the chips for our dinner must have unhinged him, as we were told Michael was not prepared to do them, and then as we walked into the dining with with my camera, he ran in, with no intro, to tell me not to have a camera in there. My girlfriend had no idea who he was; no intro, no polite “hey, I’m the owner and would appreciate you don’t do that for XX reasons”; just running in angry and leaving behind a trail of sweat and crushed voodoo dolls that looked like me. I could understand why he wouldn't want me photographing the breakfast buffet, as it was an embarrassment consisting of 90% cereal and a English breakfast that looked like an appetiser, but the dinner deserved an audience.

The GM and assistant GM have backgrounds predominantly in F&B, which really emphasised what the purpose of this place is: a restaurant with some rooms attached. Excluding one member of staff, everyone was just so average and completely unengaging.

We checked out a day early. Upon telling the assistant GM we were off, the complaint was dealt with like I mentioned the coffee was a bit too cold. They were completely unbothered by it and didn't even care to hear our feedback. I felt they wanted us out of there. Maybe I'm 30 years too young to appreciate it; maybe they'll sit around talking about how I'm not their target audience and dismiss it. If you go here, shut up, have nothing to say and enjoy your meal, you will love Lympstone Manor. But should you not find it exactly to your liking, expect Michael to get in a strop about it.

Vaterland Jun 15, 2017 11:53 am

A comically bad stay at 21212 in Edinburgh taught me the valuable lesson of never patronizing one of those restaurant-with-rooms abominations. My own experience with 21212 mirrored, in character, MacMyDay's time at Lympstone Manor.

Pausanias Jun 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Whoops, oh dear, sorry MacMyDay for I think it was me who sowed the seed regarding Lympstone . . . how was The Pig?

bhrubin Jun 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Yikes.

MacMyDay's quite disparaging review of Limpstone Manor and other reviews herein of these English country restaurant hotels have made me conclude that it isn't worth it for us to visit any of them.

They all sound designed to be nice escapes for wealthy Londoners for a night or two...but seem to offer very little else. Convenience to London just isn't enough for me.

jp-mco Jun 15, 2017 2:49 pm

I was literally cringing whilst I read your review of Lympstone Manor Tom. Have you ever had someone be as rude to you in a luxury property? I'm not surprised you left early. True luxury is giving the guest what they want. If they want chips they get chips. The place won't last long if the owner treats guests like that.

MacMyDay Jun 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 28447496)
Whoops, oh dear, sorry MacMyDay for I think it was me who sowed the seed regarding Lympstone . . . how was The Pig?

Fear not, I am the forgiving type.

The Pig at Combe was excellent. Surprisingly so. I didn't quite know what to expect, as it is not 5 star luxury, but it feels like they've achieved something rather special, similar to what people are now describing Adrian Zecha's new venture: affordable luxury. The room was excellent and very quirky, the food superb and great value for money, the grounds are really beautiful and the young staff very keen. You are paying ~£250/n for their best room, so you have to go in with the right expectations, but we did and they were exceeded in every area. My girlfriend also thought her massage was the best she's had in years, beating all the luxury properties in London, and at about 50% of the price.

Originally Posted by jonjparr (Post 28447636)
I was literally cringing whilst I read your review of Lympstone Manor Tom. Have you ever had someone be as rude to you in a luxury property? I'm not surprised you left early. True luxury is giving the guest what they want. If they want chips they get chips. The place won't last long if the owner treats guests like that.

I cannot think of anything that comes close. How is it luxury if you feel uncomfortable being somewhere, all whilst paying a premium price for the privilege of it?

KatW Jun 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Curious, MacMyDay, have you stayed at Gravetye just outside East Grinstead?

Pausanias Jun 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by jonjparr (Post 28447636)
True luxury is giving the guest what they want. If they want chips they get chips.

I agree and also disagree. At an Aman hotel, for example, requests like this are met without a problem and do in one sense define luxury. And Aman hotels have no culinary axes to grind or Michelin starred reputations to protect.

However, at a place like Michael Caines, or Raymond Blanc or Michel Roux, asking for chips is asking for trouble. Some people here might recall Nico Ladenis who famously expelled guests who asked for salt at his three star place. I was once expelled from a two-star place in Scotland for saying the lamb was tasteless. And at L'Enclume I was subjected to a third degree because I didn't eat every one of those tedious 17 courses.

I do think, though, that places like The Pig chain (or litter) and a few others are making the running these days in the UK. We must just be grateful that there are also guinea pigs out there like MacMyDay!