Wiki Posts
Search

The Surrey, NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:54 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

The Surrey, NYC

Background: As a SPG plat I usually find the best luck at the Parker Meridien. So far, knock on wood, perfect on upgrades to at least a Jr. Suite. They treat SPG plats very well.

Due to an early arrival of a new family member, my parents needed to be in NYC 3 days earlier than anticipated. There last trip took them to the RC at Central Park; which they enjoyed very much as well as the BLT market that was there. However, the RC was full and given the circumstances, they decided that they wanted to stay near the hospital. I looked for them and found them the Surrey, which was perfectly located for them at 76th and Madison. I booked them 3 nights, and then booked their train tickets.

After digging around on their website, I discovered that I had booked them a room with a shower. My parent's don't really care how nice a room is, or etc etc; if there isn't a tub, they usually are very disappointed. They don't care how nice the tub is, as long as there is a tub. A tub bath is their idea of the perfect way to close a day. I emailed the general manager, who is very active on tripadvisor, explained the nature of their trip and also explained their need for a tub. Needless to say; I was very impressed with the speed of his replies and we exchanged a number of emails and while I won't delve into details, he took care of my parents very very well.

My parents checked into the hotel and they were very impressed with the service-> they were asked repeatedly about their new grand child and the room (especially the tub).

I was impressed with the service from the GM so I canceled my Parker stay (which was a points stay and where I had already been pre-assigned a jr. suite) and moved my reservation to the Surrey. I actually also utilized their best rate promise as I had found a favorable rate on a 3rd party site, and was very impressed with the ease of the transaction (SPG usually has me send in my first born for documentation).

So onto the hotel report:
- arrival was via car. Location is great, close to the Whitney, the Met, and the Park. The Upper east side is a little sleepy. Madison avenue, is of course right there. Met outside, offered very prompt assistance with our bag (which I declined). I also declined valet but I felt the charge was fair- $55; a garage around the corner was offering $60). 2 doormen seemed to be stationed at all time; I saw them always opening the door and helping to hail cabs.
- check-in: quick, efficient. A warm towel was offered, which was nice and refreshing. I assume during warmer months (though it did hit 70) a cool towel is in offered.I was asked for my contact info and credit card. They apologized that they were unable to book the adjoining room to my parents but did book us into a nearby room on the same floor. I asked about a crib for my son and they offered to send one up. The agent apologized for being unable to show me to my room because the other agents had stepped away from the desk, but did offer a tour of the hotel's facilities if I stopped by later.
- Room: 6th floor, Grand Deluxe Salon. My wife loved the decor of the room! She said it was probably one of her favorite ever. I think we decided on the term Contempary elegance. Lots of greys, white and black. Beautiful. Great lighting as well. King Bed, very comfy. Nice crisp linens. Lighting panel offering a number of presets was helpful (evening, all off, reading etc). Nice sitting area as well. The bathroom was nice tool. Only a shower, but I didn't need a tub. Great white marble as well. One negative would be it did take about 7 minutes for the water to really warm up for my morning shower. Otherwise it was nice.
- Food- unfortunately didn't partake in any. Restaurant was Cafe Bolud, which looked tasty. They had an interesting in-room cocktail program which I wish we had done. Basically, it was between $40-60 for someone to come up and mix a cocktails (4-5) with some of the different liquors in the room. there were 375 ml bottles of Goslings, Grey Goose, and some Hudson Valley whiskies (which as a whiskey man I think are okay but it's nice to see a local small batch brewer represented). So in the end for 4-5 cocktails that's not terrible...
- Service- top notch. I had a note in my room signed by many of the staff congratulating me on my new nephew. (my parents had a similar note). Plus there was a little gift as well. Quite a nice touch! When the crib was brought up for my son (which went into grandma and grandpa's room!), the person bringing it up brought both a blue and a pink blanket, apologizing for not knowing the sex. I was addressed by name many time.

Our stay was top notch. My parent's deemed it "better than their RC stay" from 2 weeks prior; primarily on account of service. The GM is a gem there. I think that I will shift my paid NYC stays there; unfortunately I'll probably still hit the Parker Meridien on points from time to time (primarily my longer stays).

FDW
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:46 am

Thanks for the great review and congratulations. Can you please share the rate that you have paid for this room?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:13 am
BLV

I got to check out the rooms just before this place opened as I'm a regular at Cafe Boulud, which I, obviously, highly recommend.

I really liked what I saw, but I don't live too far away, so don't see myself staying there. But, always enjoy the atmosphere in the lobby and Pleiades (bar) when I'm there.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:02 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Thanks for the great review and congratulations. Can you please share the rate that you have paid for this room?
The best available rate on the website was $440. I found a better rate and worked through with the hotel to come into a better rate. I think that the rate was probably protected information so I do not wish to say; but I will again reiterate that the hotel was very easy to work with.

FDW
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"invite" site like jetsetter?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
The best available rate on the website was $440. I found a better rate and worked through with the hotel to come into a better rate. I think that the rate was probably protected information so I do not wish to say; but I will again reiterate that the hotel was very easy to work with.

FDW
That's what FT is all about -- announcing vague details and then keeping the specifics secret!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Return Visit

Introduction Well, it's been 8 years since I've stayed at the Surrey... My family all live in NYC so we venture up about twice a year to stay.. most of our stays are typically at two bedroom suites at the Andaz or the PH but occasionally we get to stay at less family friendly options.. @BESVISOR has highly highly recommended the Baccarat on many ocasion, so we decided to give it a try. He was able to secure a third night free rate with an upgrade on booking to a suite, which was a great deal. However, as our stay came closer, I realized that we needed another night and a location closer to my parents. My parents had just moved into a two bedroom apartment, which meant my kids were staying with them. However, we wanted a place closer to them and the Surrey is literally 3 blocks away. GIven that we also would be spending very little time in the room, we opted for a regular room. Again, @BESVISOR worked them hard to get us a good rate plus a guaranteed upgrade to City View Deluxe, which is the highest non suite room... Check In As usual, we drove to NYC. Arriving on a Sunday, we found a great street parking spot. Also, due to some sort of minor holiday, we didn't even have to move our car on Tuesday for alternate side cleaning. Super score- with our oversized minivan, I just saved over $250. Anyway, we spent the day with my parents and after getting our kids to bed, we walked over to the SUrrey around 9 PM. After declining aid with our bag and a quick checkin, with Fiji water offererred, we went up to our room. Room The rooms haven't changed much since we stayed last. Entry level rooms still have only a shower. I was only expecting a single vanity, from the floor plan but we got two.Otherwise, I find that the room size is quite large for NYC and comfortable. Waiting for us was a welcome gift of Laduree Macaroons and a bottle of Rose wine. Double score! i will say there was some wear and tear in the room, given that it's been almost 10 years since the renovation.. In addition, there was a crack int he tile in the shower tiling that was just slopilly fixed- pretty much just caulked over instead of fixed correctly...One thing I didn't care for was the lack of coffee making facilities in the room... They do have coffee available in the lobby each morning, which I took advantage of...The intimicacy kit was uh welcome? The beds are Duxiana and quite comfy though! Dining Only meal we took was via room service each day. I had higher hopes given the Cafe Boulud affiliation but it was merely servicable.. I had hoped that the scrambled eggs would really rise but they were fairly pedestrian.. Location The location is perfect.. for us.. if you need to be on the UES, and near to 74th and 3rd then this is the place to be... Service I had little interaction with the staff... I will say my credit card got charged multiple times after checkout for my breakfasts (which should not have ocurrred).. it took a bit but Besvisor got it sorted out.. He worked really hard for this one... Overall Well.. I haven't stayed at the Caryle and the Mark but I think there's a reason that the Surrey is cheaper.. It's been eight years and the rooms are in need of a refreshing, the food was merely servicable in spite of the Releais and Chateux and Daniel Boulud affiliation.. Billing issues as well.. I'ld probably place this in the near Luxury segment.. perfect for what we needed (and all I literally did was sleep there) but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there..
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:09 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
In UES , we stay at The Mark but venture to restaurants in the vicinity too including Cafe Boulud at Surrey .
Though we somewhat prefer The Mark prior to refurbishment & as it was quieter though without JG . But rooms / suites on 77 th are great though some like the Madison ones .
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Laduree macarons welcome amenity!!!!!
Thanks for the report. We really liked this hotel but the gigantic Kate Moss photo was a bit much several years ago. Can’t believe it’s still there.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:08 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Completely agree with your assessment though I’d add that the bathroom is cheap with a tiny shower. Who likes to downgrade their bathroom on a vacation?!

We also had had billing issues multiple times. Never got resolved completely and I emailed the gm thrice with no reply.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

MLK 2019 Trip with an upgrade

The Surrey

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

The Surrey

20 E 76th St New York, NY US 10021

MLK 2019 Trip with an upgrade (24 Photos)

The Surrey

Booking

With the impending arrival of a new nephew, I once again needed a room on the UES. Again, my kids would be staying with my parents, so my wife and I really only needed a place to sleep.. I contacted @besvisor once more and he showed me that the price delta with a 1 bedroom suite wasn't terrible; so he pretty much talked me into booking a suite.. At booking he was able to confirm an upgrade to a ultra 1 bedroom

Check In

We arrived via foot after finding a parking space for our whale (I mean minivan). The hotel offers valet but (knock on wood) I've had sucess finding street parking on the UES, which saves me $70 per day... We didn't arrive till almost 10 PM, helping to get our kids off to sleep. There was only one agent working the line, so we ended up with about a 5 minute wait. No welcome back, but a bottle of Fiji water was offerred (I had to ask for a second for my wife).. The check-in agent did say to me "we managed to upgrade you; we have you in the penthouse." To what I repleid- that'll do....

Room

The Penthouse.. I mean who doesn't like the ring of that... elevator to the floor marked PH... there's just one room up there and the rooftop garden that's in operation during summers.. The room is otherwise unmarked.. Thoughts on the room- it's big, nice dining area.. living area with fireplace and imac, bedroom that was quite dark though.. nice big bathroom with dual vanities, separate shower and large jetted tub. There's also a nice kitchen area as well. Living room has a fireplace and a projector that drops down from the ceiling.. The piece de resitance would be the extremely large terrace, which had it not been cold out would be an incredible asset.. Now onto the negatives: the projector that drops down from the ceiling- well there's a switch for the screen to drop down that didn't work. Fireplace- couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work. iMac- nice and all, but not all the keys worked.. Jetted tub- not all the jets worked... There are speakers in the ceiling for some sort of audio system but all of the control panels didn't seem to have power or didn't seem to work... View from bedroom- well it's where they store all the furnitue from the rooftop garden during winter months.. So in my previous review I think I mentioned deferred maintenance- seems to be the same problem here in this suite. I'ld be upset if I paid the $10,000 per night they asked for but as an upgrade sure I'll take it

IMG_1225.jpgIMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpgIMG_1214.jpg1_IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1233.jpgIMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg1_IMG_1236.jpgIMG_1211.jpgIMG_1219.jpgIMG_1212.jpgIMG_1216.jpgIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1195.jpgIMG_1196.jpgIMG_1197.jpgIMG_1200.jpg1_IMG_1223.jpgIMG_1229.jpgIMG_1231.jpgIMG_1238.jpg

Dining

Room service- similar to previous. Fine, but nothing spectacular.. I always expect better out of them because of the R and C flag and the Cafe Boulud association... Only had breakfast though. Of note, the breakfast credit is only for $40 to cover an in restaurant continetnal breakfast so we went much over every time...

Service

Meh, didn't have high hopes; didn't really meet them.. For example, I couldn't connect to the internet in our room with the room number/last name combo login. I went to the front desk to ask about it and they couldn't help me so I asked that they leave a note for me in my room with instructions on how to get onto the wifi. No note, nothing. Never could get on the wifi during our stay. Not sure if it's somethign specific to the penthouse (I tried 1701 and PH for our room number; no dice) but worse was that it was never addressed and fixed... Our previous stay we got a welcome amenity of a bottle of wine, Laduree macaroons, and a welcome note from my travel agent.. this time... nothing... maybe they thought the welcome amenity was the upgrade but my wife was really looking forward to the macaroons.. Finally, on turndown they never filled our ice bucket; except for the last night... Overall, I would say that the service didn't meet my modest expectations on this trip

Checkout

Our bill was fine, our checkout was fine... still bears to see if we wil have any billing issues like last time 

Overall

the only reason we keep staying here is its proximity to my parents house; plus the fact that it's significantly cheaper than the Mark and Caryle... We really only need the room for about 12 hours at night, so I don't feel like spending much more. Once again, I do believe it's time for a refreshing, given that it's been open now for 9 years..  In addition, service seems to be slipping as well unfortunately; though it didn't even start very high....

MLK 2019 Trip with an upgrade

Would you like to write a review on the The Surrey?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:53 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Thanks for the review!! Sorry to hear about the lack of welcome note/amenity. I had definitely instructed a note with welcome amenities. Will have to bring this up to the team there. Apologies for the Mrs. ... Extra Macaroons next time! btw, The Caryle is under going a refresh at the moment.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice suite! (Perhaps) not worth 10.000,00 but nevertheless nice.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Thanks for the review!! Sorry to hear about the lack of welcome note/amenity. I had definitely instructed a note with welcome amenities. Will have to bring this up to the team there. Apologies for the Mrs. ... Extra Macaroons next time! btw, The Caryle is under going a refresh at the moment.
Thanks! just seems that the hotel really needs to tighten the screws a bit, soft and hard product wise.. but I guess they are the budget UES option so I shouldn't get my hopes up too high... the upgrade was quite nice..

and the Mrs really likes macaroons- it was a smart move on their part for our last trip- she went to Laduree and probably spent well way too much
Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice suite! (Perhaps) not worth 10.000,00 but nevertheless nice.
Agreed

One thing I always forget but remember is that I do not like Duxiana mattresses as an amenity.. I can't stand them (only experienced them at the Greenwich and here)... the movement isolation is awful and I guess I'm a mover.....

FDW
BESVISOR and offerendum like this.

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Jan 28, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

We had a 5-night stay Oct'19 in a 'Deluxe Salon' room. We did not like the Surrey and we will not return. I would caution anybody booking this place that they have some really poor rooms for a 5* hotel. I mean really poor in 'completely unacceptable' -- arguably worse than those at Chateau Marmont. I booked via the internet rather than Virtuoso and ended up on the third floor looking straight at some air conditioning ducking. They have at 6 or so rooms that, uhhh, should not be in the inventory. The fact that they inflict these dark, damp closets on unsuspecting guests makes me question the judgment and character of the management. The room we were originally assigned might, at best make a good, albeit dark, storage closest. No amount of lipstick including a Dux bed and Sferra linen can turn these pigs into a comfortable hotel room. Avoid the third and fourth floors completely.

The bar is fun, but we did not find the food matched that other hotel next door on 77th.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jan 28, 2019 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.