Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip to India

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
also >
http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_v...ion_access.asp[/QUOTE]

I have been to Ranthambhore twice! Both by car. The last time, this past June, the drive got lost 100 km out of the way, and we went to a non-English speaking town of Kota. The trip took 8 hrs vs 3. Air would be great, but would be VERY expensive. Even the Oberoi hired chauffered car is expensive.

Stay at Vanyavilas...do at least 2, maybe even three safaris. I went on four, didnt see the tiger...went twice the first time a few years back, saw the tiger two times.

Check out this offer: http://oberoihotels.com/india/exotic_vacations.asp
8 nights, from $4450...or go in the summer, it goes down to $3100

Last edited by riversair; Feb 18, 2010 at 7:44 pm
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by QF Lad
Londonjetsetter, leaving Delhi at 5am is the best time to drive to Agra. It takes about 3 hours at this time, but if you leave later in the morning (ie. 9am/ 10am) it takes about 5 hours. Although it is only about 240kms, you battle traffic/ toll roads/ driver breaks/ camels walking on highway/ cows walking on highway/ driver dodging dogs on highway and so this slows down your progress.

Only other consideration is how tired you are going to be after overnight flight to do journey to Agra on arrival.
I like the drive from Delhi to Agra, I have been to the Taj, maybe 7-8 times... the road is new, and his a four lane divided highway until you reach Agra. Its easy and cheap... 3 hours tops, at that time. Nice american/european quality rest stop half way there.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by riversair
I like the drive from Delhi to Agra, I have been to the Taj, maybe 7-8 times... the road is new, and his a four lane divided highway until you reach Agra. Its easy and cheap... 3 hours tops, at that time. Nice american/european quality rest stop half way there.
I know the road is new (ish), but the locals still do not understand how it works. You have obviously been very lucky when you have driven this dual carriageway, whereas I nearly died (literally) when a truck hurtled towards us on the wrong side of the road. This still happens.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:26 am

I personally hate taking the trains in India....the system can be just as bad. In 1997 I was stranded at the Agra station (dirty, no seats, etc) after our night train was delayed 9 hours until morning!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by riversair
I personally hate taking the trains in India....the system can be just as bad. In 1997 I was stranded at the Agra station (dirty, no seats, etc) after our night train was delayed 9 hours until morning!
Yes, but delays, even of 9 hours, are not quite as bad as death, surely?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:36 pm

You must have missed this article:

Train crash near India’s Taj Mahal kills 22
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33409276/
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:09 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Lots of train crashes in India...and car accidents....
I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about flying around India either, though I've never done it.
I tend to think you're at risk no matter what mode of transportation you choose.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:37 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Ericka
I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about flying around India either, though I've never done it.
I tend to think you're at risk no matter what mode of transportation you choose.
And you have to be careful about the food as well - take second to thirdish world food precautions (depending on location). Only person in my family who went to India got pretty sick - most women don't mind losing 10 pounds - but not in 2 weeks! Robyn
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:38 pm

Flying (at least on Kingfisher or Jet) is probably the safest option
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC
Flying (at least on Kingfisher or Jet) is probably the safest option
Agreed, the Indian Airlines pilots fly those 737-100s like fighter jets! (Kidding about the 100s, they updated their fleet a bit..haha)
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I just heard back from Aman reservations. They suggest:

1 night Aman Delhi
1 night Oberoi Agra - travel by car to Amanbagh
4 nights Amanbagh - travel by car to Aman-i-khas
3 nights Aman - i -khas - travel by train to Aman Delhi
1 night Aman Delhi - leave very late the next night to London (i.e. we have a full day in Delhi).

Yes, slightly hectic, but seems like a reasonable compromise.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I just heard back from Aman reservations. They suggest:

1 night Aman Delhi
1 night Oberoi Agra - travel by car to Amanbagh
4 nights Amanbagh - travel by car to Aman-i-khas
3 nights Aman - i -khas - travel by train to Aman Delhi
1 night Aman Delhi - leave very late the next night to London (i.e. we have a full day in Delhi).

Yes, slightly hectic, but seems like a reasonable compromise.
This is basically what we did, but in reverse. We found all the transfers to be very easy and pleasant. The train trip is a first class sleeper car and I sacked out for about 3 hours. That was on our first day in India so it helped me get over the jetlag. I wonder if the batman rides on the train with you from Aman-i-Khas to Delhi? They do from Delhi to Aman-i-Khas. And they bring snacks and tea along.

I personally feel that on transfers of this short duration flying could take longer by the time you get to the airport, go through security and wait around.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:12 am

Mr. Ericka and I did not get Delhi-belly on our trip. We practiced some basic precautions but ate the hot food very freely! I gained a few pounds. I love Indian food.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
This is basically what we did, but in reverse. We found all the transfers to be very easy and pleasant. The train trip is a first class sleeper car and I sacked out for about 3 hours. That was on our first day in India so it helped me get over the jetlag. I wonder if the batman rides on the train with you from Aman-i-Khas to Delhi? They do from Delhi to Aman-i-Khas. And they bring snacks and tea along.

I personally feel that on transfers of this short duration flying could take longer by the time you get to the airport, go through security and wait around.
Yes - Aman confirmed that the batman would be riding with us from Aman-i-Khas to Delhi.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:17 am

This is a complete fallacy. If you fly Jet Airways, it is an awful lot safer than most domestic American airlines and a lot more civilised, too. It is one of the best airlines in the world, IMHO, and yes, I have flown with most of them.

Equally, if you stay in the best hotels there is no way that you should get Delhi Belly. I have never had a stomach upset in India in over 25 years of travelling there and neither has Mr Vuittons. If you eat street food, then yes, but not in the hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.