FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Connecting in Frankfurt [FRA] 2009-2023 (retired) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/982019-connecting-frankfurt-fra-2009-2023-retired.html)

cdn1 Feb 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Can anyone tell whether it's a long way to go from arrival gates to departure gates ?
Is this always in the "A" gates area ??

Incoming on AC872 into FRA(from yyz), and connecting to LH598 to JED(outbound)
(Ticketed on Lufthansa).

We have about 3-4 hours to connect (hopefully all goes well). This is an international to international connection. I assume we still have to re-clear security at FRA.

GlenP Feb 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Thanks for a most useful thread.

I'm due to be travelling MAN - FRA, on LH then changing to MS for an FRA - CAI trip (I've already got to leave MAN at the crack of sparrow's cough to get to the FRA flight & MS offered the chance to earn FF miles, at a decent price, without having to rush the transfer) so, having read through it & looked at the various terminal maps, I've confirmed that both flight should normally arrive at and depart from T1 B.

Even though both carriers are * Alliance members, I dare say interlining of baggage will not be an option & I'll have to collect the luggage & check it in again, once I reach FRA.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that I should be able to collect the cases in T1 B Arrivals, without having to pass through immigration but should have to pass through a security check, before being able to get back into T1 B Departures. However, I can't see any indication as to where the various airline transfer desks will be located, airside nor how you're supposed to get upstairs to departures.

I'm thinking that the transfer desks will be airside, on the departure level, with the security check being in place in the same general area, to prevent unregulated movement between the two areas.

Have I figured this out correctly, or am I barking completely up the wrong tree? Thanks in advance for any feedback on my reading of the situation.

gojko88 Feb 10, 2015 11:44 pm

1) No reason why you shouldn't be able to interline.

2) Since you're arriving from a non-Schengen country, you'd have to pass immigration to get to your luggage, which you could then re-check at the regular check-in counters in the departures hall. Still, this shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

IAN-UK Feb 11, 2015 3:02 am

Originally Posted by GlenP (Post 24327628)
I'm due to be travelling MAN - FRA, on LH then changing to MS for an FRA - CAI trip .

Even though both carriers are * Alliance members, I dare say interlining of baggage will not be an option & I'll have to collect the luggage & check it in again, once I reach FRA.

You should have no problem checking the bags through, though sometimes check-in agents can be less than cooperative (laziness or lack of experience).

It's really sad that Egyptair ditched its Manchester service, civilised departure time and all...

NewbieRunner Feb 11, 2015 3:22 am

Originally Posted by cdn1 (Post 24327088)
Can anyone tell whether it's a long way to go from arrival gates to departure gates ?
Is this always in the "A" gates area ??

Incoming on AC872 into FRA(from yyz), and connecting to LH598 to JED(outbound)
(Ticketed on Lufthansa).

We have about 3-4 hours to connect (hopefully all goes well). This is an international to international connection. I assume we still have to re-clear security at FRA.

All AC flights use B gates close to the Maple Leaf Lounge and flights to JED seem to use B gates as well. You will have to re-clear security but 3-4 hours should be more than enough.

Not sure what you mean by the "A" gates area. Arrival gates for most non-Schengen flights are marked "A", e.g. B45A meaning the arrival level of gate B45. You won't have to walk a very long distance for this connection as both arrival and departure gates are likely to be in B concourse.

GlenP Feb 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I expected not to be able to inter-line the bags is due to my having booked on the 2 airlines separately.

I have to agree that the MS direct service, MAN - CAI, was a real godsend. No need to hunt for the best connections, I could leave home & be overlooking the Nile in less than 8 hours (allowing for check-in & red tape on arrival in CAI, & a perfectly comfortable flight experience to boot.

cdn1 Feb 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks NewbieRunner for the information.

LUC Feb 14, 2015 3:14 am

connect from C-gates to A/B gates

I am checking some details of my upcoming trip.

For my return, I see the arriving flight from the US most of the time uses gate C16. My onward flight will be fom an A or B gate.
Can you go from C16 to A/B gates with leaving the secure area ? I know there will be a passport check, but would hate going through security check again.

In the past I did the opposite : arriving at A/B gate and leaving at a C gate : then I have to leave the secure area. Meaning the transfer took me more than an hour.

thanks,

Luc

NewbieRunner Feb 14, 2015 4:52 am

Originally Posted by LUC (Post 24349466)
I am checking some details of my upcoming trip.

For my return, I see the arriving flight from the US most of the time uses gate C16. My onward flight will be fom an A or B gate.
Can you go from C16 to A/B gates with leaving the secure area ? I know there will be a passport check, but would hate going through security check again.

In the past I did the opposite : arriving at A/B gate and leaving at a C gate : then I have to leave the secure area. Meaning the transfer took me more than an hour.

thanks,

Luc

You cannot go from C to A/B without going through security check. Assuming you are connecting to a Schengen flight you can either walk (quite a long distance) to the Skyline train stop for B/C, go through security in A/Z and through passport control into A. Or if the connecting flight is departing from a (Schengen) B gate, go through passport control first, walk through pubic area and go through security into B. You can follow the second route even if your flight is departing from an A gate. You will have to walk further.

Higher C gates are a pain but I cannot understand a transfer could take more than an hour from A/B. Was there a particularly long wait at security check?

LUC Feb 14, 2015 5:12 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 24349643)
Higher C gates are a pain but I cannot understand a transfer could take more than an hour from A/B. Was there a particularly long wait at security check?

This is 2-3 years ago, just after they took thoes C gates into service. I did transfer 3 or 4 times : each time the wait at the security checkpoint was very long. Maybe it is better now, but as now the flights I usually take depart from Z gates, I don't have recent experience.

Thanks,

Luc

NewbieRunner Feb 14, 2015 5:17 am

Originally Posted by LUC (Post 24349677)
This is 2-3 years ago, just after they took thoes C gates into service. I did transfer 3 or 4 times : each time the wait at the security checkpoint was very long. Maybe it is better now, but as now the flights I usually take depart from Z gates, I don't have recent experience.

Thanks,

Luc

When connecting between Schengen flights and flights arriving/departing from C gates, many FTers go landside and walk through the public area of the terminal.

noturbulence Feb 16, 2015 12:26 am

Originally Posted by LUC (Post 24349466)
In the past I did the opposite : arriving at A/B gate and leaving at a C gate : then I have to leave the secure area.

Now this got me a little confused/worried - I have an upcoming trip arriving on a Schengen flight (from VIE, assuming this will be an A gate) and departing at a C gate (to EZE) - there is a passport control for sure but will I really have to re-clear security if I stay airside?

I have had similar trips in the past (Schengen to non-Schengen) through other airports (e.g. HEL, MAD) and there this portion of the trip never required another security check.

I know coming back (non-Schengen onto Schengen) is different but I thought outbound I would be spared another security check at FRA?

NewbieRunner Feb 16, 2015 1:09 am

Originally Posted by noturbulence (Post 24358633)
Now this got me a little confused/worried - I have an upcoming trip arriving on a Schengen flight (from VIE, assuming this will be an A gate) and departing at a C gate (to EZE) - there is a passport control for sure but will I really have to re-clear security if I stay airside?

I have had similar trips in the past (Schengen to non-Schengen) through other airports (e.g. HEL, MAD) and there this portion of the trip never required another security check.

I know coming back (non-Schengen onto Schengen) is different but I thought outbound I would be spared another security check at FRA?

Arrivals from Schengen and One Stop Security countries outside Schengen (e.g. EU, US) should not require further security check. You can certainly go from A arrival gates to Z or B non-Schengen departure gates without going through security. However, the layout of FRA does not allow you to go from A to C without going through 'unclean' areas even if you stay airside.

CT1 Feb 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by redchilicat (Post 23931558)
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I have tried to read all of the info on the first page as well as some of the other posts in this thread but I still find the info confusing.

This Saturday we will be departing on LH0465 MCO - FRA and connecting to LH 1396 FRA-PRG. I have been checking recent flight history and LH 0465 has been arriving anywhere from Z19 to Z62, LH 1396 has been at gates such as A01 and A60. We have a 1hr 45 min connection and I booked the seats in the rear of the 744 where there are only 2 at the side so it will take us a little longer to get off.

Is that connection time comfortable and will we have to only do passport control or will we also have to clear security? Looking at the maps it seems to me we would stay inside security. I can't figure out how to simulate our route on the FRA app so I am just trying to have a good understanding of what kind of route we will be taking.

Any help would be much appreciated!:)

I have a variation on the above:
  • Arriving from AC flight from YYC - this usually arrives at B gates
  • Departing on LH1396 to PRG, which I understand usually departs from A.
  • Connection time is 1h40

Am I correct that I have to head over to the A gates via the tunnel from B? Also have to clear passport control, then security before the tunnel?

I have an EU passport, I see there are e-gates - is this the recommended way thru passport control?

Anyone see any issues with connection time on the above? Would I have time to visit the SEN lounge near A50? I think the PRG flight often leaves from A50.

Thanks all.

NewbieRunner Feb 27, 2015 11:23 am

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 24420067)
I have a variation on the above:
  • Arriving from AC flight from YYC - this usually arrives at B gates
  • Departing on LH1396 to PRG, which I understand usually departs from A.
  • Connection time is 1h40

Am I correct that I have to head over to the A gates via the tunnel from B? Also have to clear passport control, then security before the tunnel?

Yes. Alternatively you can walk through the public area of the terminal to A security.

I have an EU passport, I see there are e-gates - is this the recommended way thru passport control?
Staffed gates and e-gates are next to each other. You can go through whichever seems quicker.

Anyone see any issues with connection time on the above? Would I have time to visit the SEN lounge near A50? I think the PRG flight often leaves from A50.
Departure gates may vary from day to day. Yesterday it was indeed A50 (almost certainly used as a bus gate) but today it was B13 (a bus gate). You will just have to follow the signs for your departure gate on the day. If the flight departs from an A gate you should have time to visit the SEN lounge briefly. There is no lounge near B Schengen departure gates. If you visit the A50 lounge you will have to walk through the tunnel to B Schengen gates.