FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Connecting in Frankfurt [FRA] 2009-2023 (retired) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/982019-connecting-frankfurt-fra-2009-2023-retired.html)

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2013 7:03 am

Originally Posted by scorp (Post 20009075)
I'm traveling from IAD - Chennai (MAA) VIA FRA
IAD-FRA is united
FRA-MAA is lufthansa

in FRA do I need to check baggage again ?
do I need to change terminals to go to MAA gate

You baggage can be checked through so you don't need to check it again in FRA. You don't have to change terminals in FRA but it is a large airport with three concourses. I suggest you check the first post in the FRA connection thread, to which your post has already been transferred!

Your UA flight from IAD is likely to arrive at a Z gate. Your LH flight to MAA will almost certainly depart from a B gate. You can travel between the two concourses via the Skyline train and you don't need to go through passport control but you may have to re-clear security.

scorp Jan 9, 2013 7:08 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 20009127)
You baggage can be checked through so you don't need to check it again in FRA. You don't have to change terminals in FRA but it is a large airport with three concourses. I suggest you check the first post in the FRA connection thread, to which your post has already been transferred!

Your UA flight from IAD is likely to arrive at a Z gate. Your LH flight to MAA will almost certainly depart from a B gate. You can travel between the two concourses via the Skyline train and you don't need to go through passport control but you may have to re-clear security.

thanks for reply
Does 2hr 45 min conection time sufficient for this process

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by scorp (Post 20009148)
thanks for reply
Does 2hr 45 min conection time sufficient for this process

Yes, more than sufficient. Since you are United 1K you have access to the Senator Lounge opposite gate B42 which is one of the better lounges in FRA.

scorp Jan 9, 2013 8:11 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 20009165)
Yes, more than sufficient. Since you are United 1K you have access to the Senator Lounge opposite gate B42 which is one of the better lounges in FRA.

thanks one more dumb question
if i bought the 24hr access internet while i'm in frankfurt
can i use the same after getting into flight to MAA too? or it will be again another transaction

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2013 8:34 am

Originally Posted by scorp (Post 20009473)
thanks one more dumb question
if i bought the 24hr access internet while i'm in frankfurt
can i use the same after getting into flight to MAA too? or it will be again another transaction

All Lufthansa Lounges now have free internet so there's no need to pay for anything while you are in FRA. If your flight to MAA has onboard wifi you pay separately once you are on board. The charge is €10.95 for one hour and €19.95 for the duration of the flight (up to 24 hours).

FlyIgglesFly Jan 9, 2013 8:54 am

I'm assuming a wifi password is provided by the Dragons?

TRAVELSIG Jan 9, 2013 8:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly (Post 20009743)
I'm assuming a wifi password is provided by the Dragons?

No password required.

You just click the "surf the internet" button.

Easy.

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2013 9:17 am

The service is provided by T-Mobile if you see networks to choose from.

TRAVELSIG Jan 9, 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 20009910)
The service is provided by T-Mobile if you see networks to choose from.

If I recall correctly the network ID however is "Telekom"

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2013 9:57 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 20010118)
If I recall correctly the network ID however is "Telekom"

Possibly. I've been trying to find a screenshot of the landing page and the best I can find is this. I think the current one may be a little different.

gojko88 Jan 9, 2013 10:02 am

I doubt it would be plainly "Telekom" inside the lounge because the same name is used for the generic public Wi-Fi access point with 15/30 minutes of free internet. But something along those lines, yes.

NewbieRunner Jan 9, 2013 10:15 am

Originally Posted by gojko88 (Post 20010248)
I doubt it would be plainly "Telekom" inside the lounge because the same name is used for the generic public Wi-Fi access point with 15/30 minutes of free internet. But something along those lines, yes.

I've never used free public internet in FRA but looking at the list of recent networks on my laptop access in LH lounges seems to be just "Telekom". On board wifi is "Telekom_FlyNet".

TRAVELSIG Jan 9, 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 20010330)
I've never used free public internet in FRA but looking at the list of recent networks on my laptop access in LH lounges seems to be just "Telekom". On board wifi is "Telekom_FlyNet".

Correct on both counts.

All the lounges at FRA and MUC are now "Telekom" including the much discussed here FCT. Previously there were some discrepancies which were resolved ~ 1 year ago IIRC.

angelstar Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am

a little concerned about my connection

hi everyone - i have been browsing these forums for a while now and finally registered an account today because I thought some of you guys might be able to help me with this.

i have a SIN - FRA - OSL flight booked on Lufthansa on a single ticket. SIN-FRA according to my ticket lands in FRA terminal 1 at 6am and FRA-OSL departs from
terminal 1 as well at 7.05am. the connection time of 1hr 5 mins felt a little short to me initially but i figured it was within what I understood to be a legal connection time, plus LH was offering it as an option so I thought it would be fine.

however - now that I think about it a little more, I'm starting to get a little more concerned since it looks like from reading this thread that I need to go through passport control. the flight is somewhat full so I'm stuck near the back of the plane as well. my concern is because I need to get on a flight from oslo to tromso that leaves at 1145am so if i dont make the LH flight that I'm currently on (which will get me in at 910am) I'm going to be in a lot of trouble as it will start a domino effect ....

any tips / thoughts would be most helpful. I'm still hopeful that this will work but if it looks like my chances are pretty low then I need to start figuring out a contingency plan.

I'm also assuming I should check bags through from SIN to OSL but was wondering if you guys thought my bags might not make it on time (in which case i would try to carry a day or two's worth of stuff with me or just had carry everything)

thanks very much!!

gojko88 Jan 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes, you will need to go through passport control, since Norway belongs to the Schengen space, and you're arriving in what's sort of a rush hour at passport control at FRA. However, I wouldn't be too concerned. 65 mins is decent even for FRA, especially since you stay within the same terminal, and LH still knows how to handle transfer passengers (although many in this subforum would have you believe otherwise :D). Plus, if your flight departs SIN on time, you'll probably be a bit early in FRA anyway. It also doesn't hurt to see if available seats open up at the front of the plane at OLCI...