Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by sophialite
Yup, after doing a lot of research on my own, I reached the same conclusion (unfortunately). I think UA GS might be more generous in some respects, but then you'd have to fly UA quite a bit. I wish that on no one.
yeah. No. Long haul UA... not even for my worst enemy
vantage03 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Generally I’m pretty satisfied with HON and I think it’s superior to other programmes. That said, if we’re making direct comparison:

I’d like the BA GGL “Jokers” for two guaranteed First Class redemptions when A is available.

Would also like UA GS pre-boarding.

As an extra.. It would also be really nice to be able to force A availability in some circumstances, eg if F>5/8, or if >2 months out. It’s just so annoying when you see F8A0 and you know half the cabin will be op-ups.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
Generally I’m pretty satisfied with HON and I think it’s superior to other programmes. That said, if we’re making direct comparison:

I’d like the BA GGL “Jokers” for two guaranteed First Class redemptions when A is available.

Would also like UA GS pre-boarding.

As an extra.. It would also be really nice to be able to force A availability in some circumstances, eg if F>5/8, or if >2 months out. It’s just so annoying when you see F8A0 and you know half the cabin will be op-ups.
seems we are really on the same page here
chris63 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH HON**
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

What triggered my question was the perception that HON benefits haven’t changed much in over a decade - then again, if members feel that it is nevertheless the best programme out there, there is no real incentive for LH to work on additional concept development either.

It’s perhaps like the saying that you don’t have to be a good runner to escape a lion, you just have to be slightly faster than someone else... Could it be better? Probably. But as long as it is perceived to be better than others, no need to work on it.

I’ll join the club by September or so, then time will tell for how long it lasts. Now I already know not to expect any miracles in terms of F awards... d’oh! >_<
Nik_Jr likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
I don't want to offend anyone here but why would anyone want to go for HON purely for "fun"? I am also referring to the other HON thread on this forum.
My understanding is that one becomes HON automatically because one has to fly (mainly for work). If you are close from the threshold then yes you can do a MR but spending endless time flying nowhere just to rack up HON miles is pointless IMO. HON is supposed to make your life easier. So investing time and money just to reach it is somehow against the concept of HON status. Why would you do dozens of MR flights just to get a black card that you would otherwise not need?

I am not HON but have my fair share of F flights and therefore know the limo transfers and lounges well. It is certainly a nice thing that I also enjoy as it makes travel more comfortably but honestly my cellar at home is stocked with better stuff and my car drives at least equally fast

And what is the most important, I definitely value my time with the family at home more than any F lounge and therefore will not consider such drastic MR that are sometimes discussed here.

~15 years back though I flew around the world in economy as a student and became SEN and was very proud of it . Nowadays SEN comes automatically within a couple of months and I am happy that I don't need to travel as much to become HON. Current employer pays biz only so it takes time to accumulate HON miles but thanks to various instruments I end up in F in more than 50% of my longhauls.

I would for sure like HON status but nothing beats time with family and friend in my view.
I therefore sometimes wonder what kind of private life those people have who are asking for advise on how to rack up the missing >200k HON miles honestly...

Last edited by f4freeJunior; May 3, 2019 at 1:00 am
Old May 3, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
I don't want to offend anyone here but why would anyone want to go for HON purely for "fun"? I am also referring to the other HON thread on this forum.
My understanding is that one becomes HON automatically because one has to fly (mainly for work). If you are close from the threshold then yes you can do a MR but spending endless time flying nowhere just to rack up HON miles is pointless IMO. HON is supposed to make your life easier. So investing time and money just to reach it is somehow against the concept of HON status. Why would you do dozens of MR flights just to get a black card that you would otherwise not need?

I am not HON but have my fair share of F flights and therefore know the limo transfers and lounges well. It is certainly a nice thing that I also enjoy as it makes travel more comfortably but honestly my cellar at home is stocked with better stuff and my car drives at least equally fast

And what is the most important, I definitely value my time with the family at home more than any F lounge and therefore will not consider such drastic MR that are sometimes discussed here.

~15 years back though I flew around the world in economy as a student and became SEN and was very proud of it . Nowadays SEN comes automatically within a couple of months and I am happy that I don't need to travel as much to become HON. Current employer pays biz only so it takes time to accumulate HON miles but thanks to various instruments I end up in F in more than 50% of my longhauls.

I would for sure like HON status but nothing beats time with family and friend in my view.
I therefore sometimes wonder what kind of private life those people have who are asking for advise on how to rack up the missing >200k HON miles honestly...
Why do people drive around in a fancy car or motorbike, just for fun, without actually having to go somewhere? Why do people drink an expensive wine without being thirsty? Why do people buy expensive a clothes if cheap ones keep you warm as well? Why do some people live in a mansion of 400 square meters if they’d be fine in a smaller apartment as well?

I guess the answer is always the same. Because they like it, they enjoy doing so. They feel privileged. Whatever. It’s the beauty of life that we are all so different in our tastes, priorities, pleasures. Would be boring otherwise, wouldn’t it.... :-)
Old May 3, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by gru_muc

Why do people drive around in a fancy car or motorbike, just for fun, without actually having to go somewhere? Why do people drink an expensive wine without being thirsty? Why do people buy expensive a clothes if cheap ones keep you warm as well? Why do some people live in a mansion of 400 square meters if they’d be fine in a smaller apartment as well?

I guess the answer is always the same. Because they like it, they enjoy doing so. They feel privileged. Whatever. It’s the beauty of life that we are all so different in our tastes, priorities, pleasures. Would be boring otherwise, wouldn’t it.... :-)
This is a bad comparison. You are going through considerable discomfort to obtain something that isn't worth that much (but is worth a lot when you otherwise have to go through that considerable comfort). Surely, the luxury of flying NEK Slimline business on ZRH-MUC-TBS-MUC-ZRH at ungodly hours of the morning brings pleasure in no way comparable to wearing a $2,000 Gucci silk dress (or I guess for men a cashmere Loro Piana sweater).
Old May 3, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior

100% this.

I love my house. I luckily don't have to drive but can hire a Porsche if needed. And I guarantee there are many non-Michelin star restaurants in my city with food far more superior to FCL or inflight F meals. The sheer ecstacy people in this forum feel for this stuff is puzzling at best and absolutely bonkers at worst .
f4freeJunior and hugolover like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager

You are right -- if somebody like it, he/she should go for it.
It does not matter, what somebody else will think about it. As long the circumstances are acceptable for that specific pax.
I also tell that this kind of travel is big part of being "beauty of life".

For me, I am not HON yet, but with already booked and ticketed flights should be in 2 months.
I am Senator for 13 years.
During all the years I only had one routing I booked just for the miles with no need to go there at all.

But what I do, I book travel I need (mostly for my work -- as I own my company, I am free to book for myself also F) with some research how to collect currently more Hon miles and how to do it more economically.
I do not mind flying with longest possible route if it is cheaper or equal cost but gives me more miles.
And sometimes (very rare, but for example current LH/LX UA First offer was really forth of it) fly at first to somewhere to start there my F journey.
As F returns to HKG and SIN for around 2500 EUR looks nice enough to spend another approx 700 EUR for feeder flights in D booking class.
OK, I will spend 1,5 days more on the journey, but at first I will save around 1000-1500 EUR (compared to when I start my journey form home)+ i just like flying.
And I needed to make that flights on this days anyway.

Flying F spoiled me and actually yesterday, when during intra-EU flights I needed to board bus in FRA, I cached myself on the hope, that relatively shortly, after 2 months all that BSO, ASW arrivals will be for me more pleasure (due the limo) than the real gate positions. And that during that upcoming 2 months there will be also just few bus-rides on airport as other itineraries are F.

I have chance also to fly EK or TK from my home. Usually a bit cheaper than LH (TK do not have F, but EK prices for F from my location are similar or cheaper than LH/LX). I was also EK Gold.
But as I do need also fly a lot in Europe, then more reasonable for me seems to move almost all flights to LH group (+LO), get by that Hon status and enjoy every journey as much it is possible to enjoy.
moreaki likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:20 am

This is a bad comparison. You are going through considerable discomfort to obtain something that isn't worth that much (but is worth a lot when you otherwise have to go through that considerable comfort). Surely, the luxury of flying NEK Slimline business on ZRH-MUC-TBS-MUC-ZRH at ungodly hours of the morning brings pleasure in no way comparable to wearing a $2,000 Gucci silk dress (or I guess for men a cashmere Loro Piana sweater).
this.

some people may enjoy a 2000 dollar suit. Some won’t.
some may appreciate a 500 dollar bottle of wine. Some won’t.

but who really enjoys 6-8 NEK legs overnight? If somebody really loves airplanes I may even get it to fly C or F somewhere just for that. But not countless NEK legs. Unless you have a very weird fetish not judging
Old May 3, 2019, 4:30 am

And to think of all the other incredible pleasures an unnecessary $50k spent only to achieve HON Circle can be used for:

1) 40 nights at the George V (if you hate your family and want to be away from them, so keeping with the them).
2) 5 hours on a private jet
3) VIP service for every connection arrival you have in FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA, VIE
5) 50 bottles of Chateaux Margeaux
6) 500 bottles of Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle (I don't care for it but certain members of this forum lose their minds when getting it on an airplane)
7) A luxury and high quality wardrobe
8) 100 days of Porsche rental (iirc renting it directly in rotkreuz is about 500 per day). Who cares about Porsche airport transfers for 15 mins when I can have this????
9) so many pairs of beautiful shoes
10) 12 Hermes birkins

And there's someone in the world who will take off at 11pm at MUC for TBS in intra-EU business class for a mileage run, and do the return. For the sole sake of making an airline status and assuming that this travel is otherwise necessary.

Again--mind boggling.

And if you don't like conspicuous consumption, just throw the $50k in an index fund and live your life?
f4freeJunior and hugolover like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: LX HON, FB Platinum for life, Sixt/Hilton Diamond

Couldn't agree more, funny though that some people are almost asked to defend their choices! I'm just happy to fly around, be a bit disconnected from the world, visit nice places, have decent food/wine and some comfort while flying (and get HON status as well, yah!). Sometimes I'm just working the full flight, can be 200% more productive than anywhere on the ground. So yes, might do a crazy run (for fun? miles?)... and yes I could have done Michelin star restaurant visits as well for that money (maybe I do both?!)... but preferably I find some more fun F deals thanks to this great community.

Live & let live, happy Friday!
chris63 and moreaki like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:50 am

Oh I'll let you live just like I let flat-earthers live.
daumueller and Nik_Jr like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
And to think of all the other incredible pleasures an unnecessary $50k spent only to achieve HON Circle can be used for:
10) 12 Hermes birkins
Wait. I’m no expert on this [off] topic, but I don’t think you can get 12 Birkins for $50K 😂
chris63, Nik_Jr and sophialite like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by vantage03

Wait. I’m no expert on this [off] topic, but I don’t think you can get 12 Birkins for $50K 😂
Ugh my math is so bad. That would be 5-6. Sorry.

Still much more pleasure buying those than the TBS flight.
vantage03 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.