Wiki Posts
Search

Security staff strike FRA, HAM, BRE, BER, LEJ, DRS & ERF on 01FEB2024

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Security staff strike FRA, HAM, BRE, BER, LEJ, DRS & ERF on 01FEB2024

All day Thursday, all German airports. Oh dear.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-airport-security-personnel-to-strike-thursday/a-68123480
Old Jan 30, 2024, 8:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Munich airport should not be affected - the security staff there are not represented by this union and are employed differently I believe.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
That's right, no issues at airports in Bavaria, as the security checks are done by state-owned companies and employees with a different contract.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: SE 100K
FRA Connection + Security Staff Labour Action

Moderators please move to appropriate forum if this is not the correct spot.

I am flying YVR - YUL - FRA - TOS, leaving Vancouver tomorrow (Jan 31st).
Arrive into FRA @ 0725 on Feb 1st and depart on LH 870 @ 1010.

Wondering how this security labour action may impact my connection?
Does this effectively shut down the airport, or is there still some staff working?
Does it increase chances of my checked luggage not being screened and being lost / left behind?

Essentially wondering how concerned to be, and if I should look at alternate routings, or if this is really not a big deal.
Thank you for any info in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Is LH ground handling at MUC not affected then?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:17 pm

Programs: A3*G LH*G
If I'm transferring S-NS at FRA (so no security staff exposure), will I be safe?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:32 pm

Programs: SE 100K

Does this effectively shut down the airport, or is there still some staff working?
Does it increase chances of my checked luggage not being screened and being lost / left behind?

Essentially wondering how concerned to be, and if I should look at alternate routings, or if this is really not a big deal.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by CanadianMike

Looks very nasty at FRA, have a look at LH.com…….
Old Jan 30, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
See information from LH on the situation here

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information.html
Old Jan 30, 2024, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike

My opinion: I think you will be fine as you (and your luggage) do not need to clear security in FRA. You will likely enjoy an empty flight from FRA to TOS.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8420PR
My opinion: I think you will be fine as you (and your luggage) do not need to clear security in FRA. You will likely enjoy an empty flight from FRA to TOS.
Except maybe if its a B arrival gate & transfer to A, layout at FRA……
Old Jan 31, 2024, 2:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Restrictions at security checkpoints at various German airports on 1 February

The trade union Verdi has announced strikes by security staff at several German airports on Thursday 1 February. Passengers can therefore expect considerable restrictions at security checkpoints.

We strongly recommend that guests who wish to start their journey at Frankfurt, Hamburg, Bremen, Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden and Erfurt airports on 1 February do not come to the airport.

This also applies to customers travelling by train to Frankfurt Airport who have a connecting flight from Frankfurt. Due to the strike at the security checkpoints at Frankfurt Airport, they will not have access to the departure area.

We are currently checking the effects on the flight schedule and will inform you promptly about updates on lufthansa.com and the customer app.

Important: Please take the opportunity to rebook your flight now. You can do this via lufthansa.com or via our Service Centers. A free rebooking is possible on a Lufthansa Group Airlines flight from 30 January to 8 February 2024.

We offer guests travelling on international flights to Frankfurt to change flights the same rebooking options. We strongly recommend that you take up this offer, as increased waiting and transfer times are also to be expected in the transit area.

If you have booked a Lufthansa flight on Thursday, please visit this page regularly. We will inform you about updates at any time.

Passengers on domestic flights on Thursday, 1 February to Frankfurt already have the option of exchanging their flight coupon for a Deutsche Bahn ticket free of charge on this page, even if their flight has not yet been cancelled. The train journey must be started on the day of issue and is valid for two days. Please do not travel to Frankfurt by train if you have a connecting flight from Frankfurt. You will not have access to the departure area there due to the strike at the security checkpoints.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:03 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chris63
Except maybe if its a B arrival gate & transfer to A, layout at FRA……
It's Air Canada so it will be a B arrival. Canada is secure though, so as long as the bus is running, security can be avoided. Bit of a circumvent routing if TOS ends up leaving from B Schengen, but can be done (B NS dep > bus > Z dep > immigration > A > tunnel > B Schengen)
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
It's Air Canada so it will be a B arrival. Canada is secure though, so as long as the bus is running, security can be avoided. Bit of a circumvent routing if TOS ends up leaving from B Schengen, but can be done (B NS dep > bus > Z dep > immigration > A > tunnel > B Schengen)
Which all illustrates why FRA is to be avoided, at MUC a walk in the park
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Skywards
The response from lh at the moment is they won't rebook since no flight has been canceled yet.

I'm supposed to fly tpa-fra-muc today on discover. So going to be fun getting from. C to A for the transfer. Not sure this will be possible. Guess ull end up taking the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.