Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish should leave M&M/*A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LOT Polish should leave M&M/*A

Yes, fares ex-PL are very expensive in C, and those connecting to/from WAW on domestic have to slum it in C. I remember great fares ex-BRU to OTP.

The sooner LO quits M&M the better. It's like Ken Morrison using Clubcard as their loyalty scheme. They're in a silly situation. In my opinion, they have a far better product than LH Group, they reward their Elite members with better lounges and benefits, they're cheaper than LHG and to top it all off, they spend more on M&M per flown pax than LHG does. It's a silly circle they found themselves in.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:56 pm

Agreed. LOT’s C fares (F) on my usual routes (Balkans-AMS/LHR via WAW) were nearly always cheaper (and I refer to mid-week travel e.g. Tue-Fri), compared to LH/OS, the dreaded P fares which will get you ~450 “basic” miles as opposed to the ~1250 miles (excluding the status bonus) that I’d get on LOT. As you say, overall better product as opposed to LH (I like OS/VIE, though), the only issues are the reliability in terms of on-time performance which, as we all know, gets “rough” at peak times and the crowded Schengen lounges.

G
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes, fares ex-PL are very expensive in C, and those connecting to/from WAW on domestic have to slum it in C. I remember great fares ex-BRU to OTP.

The sooner LO quits M&M the better. It's like Ken Morrison using Clubcard as their loyalty scheme. They're in a silly situation. In my opinion, they have a far better product than LH Group, they reward their Elite members with better lounges and benefits, they're cheaper than LHG and to top it all off, they spend more on M&M per flown pax than LHG does. It's a silly circle they found themselves in.
LO should quit *A and join OW!
Deckter likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by yurtripper
This is essentially my dream. I strongly prefer OW over *A, but their current European network makes it impossible for me to earn status with them. LO on the other hand became the airline I fly the most these days.

Not gonna happen, but imagining it is very nice
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually I would prefer it in Scaryteam, and Oneworld is welcome to TAROM! We need something decent in the east to replace Aeroflot.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
Actually I would prefer it in Scaryteam, and Oneworld is welcome to TAROM! We need something decent in the east to replace Aeroflot.
Perhaps PS could take over from SU?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the810
This is essentially my dream. I strongly prefer OW over *A, but their current European network makes it impossible for me to earn status with them. LO on the other hand became the airline I fly the most these days.

Not gonna happen, but imagining it is very nice
Alliances are not LO primary worries, it needs proper management, to stop the same crap that killed off Olympic.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
But then Lufti et al. would eat their market share. Even before Covid LH Group had more flights from e.g. KRK than LO and LH was flying to most airports in PL including liliputish BZG. LO's only fortress is WAW, but once LH gets/buys more slots it will monopolize Corpo traffic from WAW, too. Now they are not interested as LO feeds them.

BA will not save LO as LHR is full.

The only option is to co-exist with LH and try to grab as much connecting traffic from *A markets (DACH, Scandinavia) as possible. I recall even this forum's Moderator was once sort of forced to fly from MUC to YYZ on LO as C class fare was competitive and LO vs. LH/AC difference was too much for his employer.

Being realistic - any other alliance is not an option.

Last edited by TPJ; Sep 24, 2022 at 10:28 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have often though it's wishful thinking on the part of FTers that FFP's make such a difference. Ex-WAW why would anyone in a corp pick AF/KL/LH/BA/LX/OS on connecting flights over LO on direct flights? If its price sensitive business, let those other carriers have it because they're flogging off their seats for a fraction of what they'd get ex-hubs. Send them on FR or W6.

For trips to all the business centres that LO fly to, no one comes close and that's why its priced so high. You'd be surprised how few pax in C/on high fares have no status.

LO have 6-7 flights a day on WAW-KRK but they're all on regional aircraft, with an occasional B737 (which is sometimes just due to ops not load). They're not even beginning to compete with LH ex-KRK and in some cases you're actively discouraged from flying ex-regions than ex-WAW. They just don't want the business. Take a 78 seat DH8 flying to WAW to feed to feed a TLL-headed 76 seat E70 (most likely in 72 seat configuration). There is almost no "give" to feed anything. Once the taxes are taken off LHG will be left with almost nothing to cover their costs except for the most expensive tickets. They're just putting bums on seats.

I don't want LO to leave Star but I think M&M just doesn't work for them, I know for a fact this is a view shared by LO management.

I'd be most happy to consult LO to make a Diamond Club style programme that earns them money .

Last edited by hugolover; Sep 24, 2022 at 3:06 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:27 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover

I'd be most happy to consult LO to make a Diamond Club style programme that earns them money .
Ha ha, I still have a few old Diamond Club welcome packs with all the earn/burn rules and other regulations. I decided to keep them as a reflection of the best times ever. Can share with LO
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Even before Covid LH Group had more flights from e.g. KRK than LO and LH was flying to most airports in PL including liliputish BZG.
But that’s often the case at those so-called “regional airports”, see Manchester for instance, where I’m relatively sure that LHG (and possibly KLM as well) operate way more flights compared to BA. It is already a “miracle” or so to speak that a tiny airline like LOT is able to sustain(ish) quite a robust network out of their Warsaw hub, I would certainly not expect them to operate more services out of Kraków or Poznań or anywhere else for that purpose as opposed to a carrier (i.e. LH “standalone”) which has over 200 (?) narrow-body aircraft to spare for the job…

G
the810 and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'd be more than happy if LO decided to go the ST route. OK is not coming back.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: LH HON | UA 1K
I love LOT, I wish they had flights to Singapore again
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It will come back. It would be some serious flight time though, LO80, NRT-WAW is currently 14hrs30 in the air.
theKrafty1tar likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: M&M
It has always struck me that M&M don't really want LO and vice versa.
From a user perspective, if your profile is ex PL, then you can't order anything from the World Shop (if you actually find anything good value), you can't exchange award miles to top up your status miles, you don't have any M&M CC options since mBank cancelled their one and then there was the Diners Club debacle. So you're in this scenario where you get FTL or SEN and it amounts to some bag tags and lounge access.
hugolover, the810 and geomag42 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.