Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID19: vaccination/test requirements for German transit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Flying back via FRA should not be a problem.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The OP is a US citizen and the case you mentioned is for Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen countries.
An US citizen could not board an intra-Schengen flight to any country that doesn't allow US citizens.

However, transferring in LHR would work as ATH-LHR is an international flight.
Ahhh... so "Schengen-hubs" (e.g. CDG, FRA, ZRH, etc.) are allowing US citizens to do non-Schengen-to-non-Schengen transfers? (But not non-Schengen-to-Schengen?)

And if so, do you happen to know if most or all "Schengen-hubs" are allowing this?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ahhh... so "Schengen-hubs" (e.g. CDG, FRA, ZRH, etc.) are allowing US citizens to do non-Schengen-to-non-Schengen transfers? (But not non-Schengen-to-Schengen?)

And if so, do you happen to know if most or all "Schengen-hubs" are allowing this?
In Schengen-hubs, all non-EU citizens are allowed to do non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfers. There are no restrictions on this.

However, when making a non-Schengen to Schengen transfer, you need to technically enter that country to make that transfer and there is no guarantee that the person who would pass the border with the intention of transferring would take that connecting Schengen flight ( someone could easily use this as a getaway - EU border rules were never based on the honor system ).
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:18 am

I have the popcorn ready for the other Schengen countries reacting to this unilateral move by Greece.

We already see some intra-Schengen border controls and I think this will just trigger more...
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by supine
I have the popcorn ready for the other Schengen countries reacting to this unilateral move by Greece.

We already see some intra-Schengen border controls and I think this will just trigger more...
I think this won't be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be (logistically), specifically because Greece shares no land borders with any Schengen-area country. (It may end up being a big deal culturally, politically, etc.) This would be a bigger logistical issue if a country like France or Austria were trying to do it.

Photo from etia.com.

If Greece decides to open itself up to non-Schengen visitors (as it has already announced), "enforcing" the Schengen border at other Schengen-area countries could be as simple as directing inbound aircraft from Greece to a non-Schengen gate and terminal, rather than a Schengen gate and terminal (as was probably the case before the pandemic). The minor inconvenience is that all passengers (EU-citizens, or otherwise) would be shunted through the non-Schengen terminal's C&I. Those that are allowed to enter can enter, and proceed normally. I think this example is applicable to sea routes too (e.g. presumably Italy has both Schengen and non-Schengen facilities for their passenger ports).

Land-border wise... is moot. Whatever kind of border situation Greece had with each of its land-border neighbors before, can continue.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Today UA announced IAD-ATH starting July 1. They also said EWR-ATH to resume June 3.

Last edited by gusd; Apr 19, 2021 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Also new routes from EWR to DBV and KEF were announced, evidently a nod to the fact that these Schengen countries will allow vaccinated tourists to enter
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Also new routes from EWR to DBV and KEF were announced, evidently a nod to the fact that these Schengen countries will allow vaccinated tourists to enter
Let's hope all those countries are not in the "Do not go" list of countries the US wants to announce soon (apparently 80% of all countries in the world)...
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I think this won't be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be (logistically), specifically because Greece shares no land borders with any Schengen-area country. (It may end up being a big deal culturally, politically, etc.) This would be a bigger logistical issue if a country like France or Austria were trying to do it.

Photo from etia.com.

If Greece decides to open itself up to non-Schengen visitors (as it has already announced), "enforcing" the Schengen border at other Schengen-area countries could be as simple as directing inbound aircraft from Greece to a non-Schengen gate and terminal, rather than a Schengen gate and terminal (as was probably the case before the pandemic). The minor inconvenience is that all passengers (EU-citizens, or otherwise) would be shunted through the non-Schengen terminal's C&I. Those that are allowed to enter can enter, and proceed normally. I think this example is applicable to sea routes too (e.g. presumably Italy has both Schengen and non-Schengen facilities for their passenger ports).

Land-border wise... is moot. Whatever kind of border situation Greece had with each of its land-border neighbors before, can continue.

ummm not really. even if they check your passport, schengen to schengen flights are not stamped with any passports.
once you are in schengen you are in schengen, they can't stop you travelling, the Swiss government confirms this so you can easily to ATH-ZRH as a US citizen.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
once you are in schengen you are in schengen, they can't stop you travelling
Has not been true for the past year or so. Ever heard of the Baltic bubble? Who needs a bubble if the whole Schengen had always been a bubble?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
France has implemented their own border restrictions for Schengen flights after some tragic events that happened in Paris and Nice.
This was about 4-5 years ago. Some Schengen flights were randomly pulled to Non-Schengen stands and everyone's passports and documents were thoroughly checked.

This was well before the pandemic and each country set up their own restrictions.
Amil and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:17 pm

ummm not really. even if they check your passport, schengen to schengen flights are not stamped with any passports.
once you are in schengen you are in schengen, they can't stop you travelling, the Swiss government confirms this so you can easily to ATH-ZRH as a US citizen.
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you're saying? Or what portion (if any) you're responding to.

France has implemented their own border restrictions for Schengen flights after some tragic events that happened in Paris and Nice.
This was about 4-5 years ago. Some Schengen flights were randomly pulled to Non-Schengen stands and everyone's passports and documents were thoroughly checked.

This was well before the pandemic and each country set up their own restrictions.
This!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:01 pm

What I am saying is right now you can fly internally in Schengen without an issue even if they check your passport as you originated from a Schengen country! Checking the passport is not the issue, also you can't be stamped twice in schengen, you can only be stamped when leaving schengen and when entering schengen.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I am saying is right now you can fly internally in Schengen without an issue even if they check your passport as you originated from a Schengen country! Checking the passport is not the issue, also you can't be stamped twice in schengen, you can only be stamped when leaving schengen and when entering schengen.
This is not correct.
An example would be that last year just after COVID started, in April & May we have seen Switzerland restricting travel to Switzerland for only Swiss citizens, residents and those with work permit. Everyone else was denied boarding on Switzerland bound Schengen flights.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:52 pm

This is not correct.
An example would be that last year just after COVID started, in April & May we have seen Switzerland restricting travel to Switzerland for only Swiss citizens, residents and those with work permit. Everyone else was denied boarding on Switzerland bound Schengen flights.
We are talking about right now, not back then.

Right now, you would only be denied boarding if you were trying to fly into Switzerland from outside the Schengen area and are not a Swiss or EU citizen/resident.
If you were flying from lets say Greece to Switzerland with a US passport then it is fine as you are already in the schengen area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.