FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Covid-19 Transfers in FRA and VIE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2018831-covid-19-transfers-fra-vie.html)

airoli Jun 19, 2020 3:33 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32468539)
All restrictions inside the EU were lifted on Monday

That's not entirely true (see Danmark, Spain etc.) but it will be fine for the FRA/VIE-ARN transit for EU citizens.

cas_de Jun 19, 2020 3:42 am

From the IATA Travel Center (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm):

Published 05.06.2020
Sweden

Passengers arriving from outside Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to nationals of Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Holy See), and their family members, if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
- This does not apply to passengers with a British passport and their family members, if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
- This does not apply to passengers with a residence permit issued by Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom or Vatican City (Holy See), if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
- This does not apply to passengers with a national visa issued by Sweden, if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
- This does not apply to the following passengers:
a. healthcare personnel;
b. border workers;
c. personnel transporting goods and other personnel in the transport sector to the necessary extent;
d. persons covered by Chapter 2. Section 10 of the Aliens Act (2005: 716);
e. persons working in international organizations, military personnel and relief workers;
f. passengers in transit;
g. persons with urgent family reasons;
h. persons in need of international protection or for other humanitarian reasons.
Plus, Germany allows EU citizens to transit via Germany.

sydunipete Jun 19, 2020 3:00 pm

The confusion comes in from inconsistent wording. "returning to his or her home". What is legally considered home?

Then a German government website (bmi.bund.de) says this only applies to returning to "country of origin".

Then the German Federal Foreign office says it's ok to "returning to their place of residence" and in the very next paragraph "returning to their place of habitual residence".

When I search IATA with different settings I only get the green tick when I enter my country of residence as Sweden.

But I'm probably overthinking it all. Just the risk of getting it wrong is getting turned around at the border and sent all the way back to Australia (and 14 days quarantine).

I did find this from the EC which clarifies my situation:
EU citizens’ family members*

The temporary travel restriction must exempt nationals of all EU Member States and Schengen Associated States, as well as their family members travelling to return to their homes in the EU. EU citizens and their families are considered to be ‘returning home’ when seeking to reach the Member State of the EU citizen’s nationality even if the latter, and his/her family members, do not reside there. (https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...ng-pandemic_en)

So I think we're good to go even without relying on the "imperative family reasons" once we get approval from the Australian government.

TGGDEL Jun 21, 2020 9:25 am

Hi All,
I'm trying to decipher the transit rules for Germany right now... We're looking at transiting from ORD to IST/BJV via FRA or MUC.
2 kids and I have UK and US passports, my wife has a TK passport and US Greencard.

What are our chances? I realize things may change come July 1 or at any time really...

LondonElite Jun 21, 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 32473941)
Hi All,
I'm trying to decipher the transit rules for Germany right now... We're looking at transiting from ORD to IST/BJV via FRA or MUC.
2 kids and I have UK and US passports, my wife has a TK passport and US Greencard.

What are our chances? I realize things may change come July 1 or at any time really...

Where are you ordinarily resident? Transit is permitted for EU+ citizens to their country of residency (which I assume is not Turkey). Additionally your wife’s citizenship isn’t listed.

See here: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus

TGGDEL Jun 21, 2020 11:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32474023)
Where are you ordinarily resident? Transit is permitted for EU+ citizens to their country of residency (which I assume is not Turkey). Additionally your wife’s citizenship isn’t listed.

See here: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus

Currently residing in Chicago... so I assume this is a no go/better to be safe for now then...

LondonElite Jun 21, 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 32474221)
Currently residing in Chicago... so I assume this is a no go/better to be safe for now then...

No, but keep checking the link I sent you.

gusd Jun 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32474536)
No, but keep checking the link I sent you.

But they wouldn’t actually enter Germany. So would the info in the link still apply to a non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit?

oliver2002 Jun 22, 2020 2:59 am

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 32473941)
Hi All,

If you have a connecting flight on the same ticket it should not be a problem. You will technically not enter Germany.

LondonElite Jun 22, 2020 3:12 am

Originally Posted by gusd (Post 32474672)
But they wouldn’t actually enter Germany. So would the info in the link still apply to a non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit?

I don't know, as the regulation does not specify this situation.

sophialite Jun 22, 2020 3:14 am

I transited through MUC to NCE yesterday with a UK residency permit and US passport. No issues whatsoever. Even accidentally entered Germany because I got confused by the signage.

TGGDEL Jun 22, 2020 5:25 am

Thank you all! I'm going to call LH to see what they say - as far as I can tell from the link, transit passengers are exempt so hopefully that will stick.

YYCCL3 Jun 22, 2020 5:52 am

Does anyone know if an overnight transit (ie: leaving the airport) is permissible at this time?

LondonElite Jun 22, 2020 5:58 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 32475742)
Does anyone know if an overnight transit (ie: leaving the airport) is permissible at this time?

Not possible unless you meet certain strict conditions. What are the circumstances?

YYCCL3 Jun 22, 2020 6:02 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32475752)
Not possible unless you meet certain strict conditions. What are the circumstances?

Departing Czechia (but I'm not in CZ as a permanent resident) in transit to Canada on Canadian passport. The best itineraries for timing have an overnight layover in FRA.