FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Avro RJ85 overhead bins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1988117-avro-rj85-overhead-bins.html)

NYC1 Sep 20, 2019 9:38 am

Avro RJ85 overhead bins

I have the pleasure of flying this plane in “business” after arriving from the US (it will be quite a contrast). This will be FRA-BRU. How big are the overhead bins? I have a roll aboard that’s quite large. What should I expect?

MichielR Sep 20, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by NYC1 (Post 31545383)
I have the pleasure of flying this plane in “business” after arriving from the US (it will be quite a contrast). This will be FRA-BRU. How big are the overhead bins? I have a roll aboard that’s quite large. What should I expect?

Are you sure? SN, LH and LX have retired their RJ. Or is this a CityJet wetlease?

In any case, the overhead bins above he first couple of rows fit a standard cabin size bag, from row 6 to 9 approx they are tiny due to the high wing of this airplane.

If “quite large” means larger than regulation, ie kitchen sink style, then you would probably have to have it gate checked in FRA and get it back on the bagage belt at BRU.

NYC1 Sep 20, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 31545608)
Are you sure? SN, LH and LX have retired their RJ. Or is this a CityJet wetlease?

In any case, the overhead bins above he first couple of rows fit a standard cabin size bag, from row 6 to 9 approx they are tiny due to the high wing of this airplane.

If “quite large” means larger than regulation, ie kitchen sink style, then you would probably have to have it gate checked in FRA and get it back on the bagage belt at BRU.

Thanks.

CityJet with an LH flight number.

Yes, larger than regulation (but not quite kitchen sink style...) but I’ve never had an issue before (famous last words).

If it’s this CityJet business, does the FCT/driven to gate work?

MichielR Sep 20, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by NYC1 (Post 31545628)
Thanks.

CityJet with an LH flight number.

Yes, larger than regulation (but not quite kitchen sink style...) but I’ve never had an issue before (famous last words).

If it’s this CityJet business, does the FCT/driven to gate work?

it is an LH flight with wet lease equipment, so in all other aspects a regular LH flight. Therefore a car from the FCT if you are connecting from F (you said C) or are HON.

NYC1 Sep 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 31545934)
it is an LH flight with wet lease equipment, so in all other aspects a regular LH flight. Therefore a car from the FCT if you are connecting from F (you said C) or are HON.

Thanks.

The business reference was to this flight to BRU. Arriving in F so all’s good. They better have the good ducks!

GBM.flights Sep 21, 2019 9:50 am

IME these smaller planes (CRJ, Dash, Embraers) usually get the "delivery at aircraft" concept. i.e. Planes are typically at remote stands, served by bus. where you drop off the luggage on a baggage cart, which is loaded as cargo and given back to you on a similar luggage cart on arrival. So if the luggage is on the larger size it should be no issue.
If it's your first flight on an Avro you need to go and have a look at those bins MichielR is describing. It jus about fits a folded Sunday newspaper.

chris63 Sep 22, 2019 2:07 am

Originally Posted by GBM.flights (Post 31548441)
IME these smaller planes (CRJ, Dash, Embraers) usually get the "delivery at aircraft" concept. i.e. Planes are typically at remote stands, served by bus. where you drop off the luggage on a baggage cart, which is loaded as cargo and given back to you on a similar luggage cart on arrival. So if the luggage is on the larger size it should be no issue.
If it's your first flight on an Avro you need to go and have a look at those bins MichielR is describing. It jus about fits a folded Sunday newspaper.

OP is connecting from LH F so won’t have to endure a Cobus from FCT or FCL B where the best Ducks are found :)
For sure they will be as accommodating as possible for a F transit pax.

GBM.flights Sep 22, 2019 2:31 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31550281)
OP is connecting from LH F so won’t have to endure a Cobus from FCT or FCL B where the best Ducks are found :)

You're right. The bus was not for him (he'll get a transfer in smtg better). but the rest may apply (depending on the "quite large" of that carry on)

NYC1 Sep 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 31550281)

Thanks. I will keep you posted on how it goes and the ducks! Waiting to hear from MichielR on the Oktoberfest situation on Monday.

GBM.flights Nov 1, 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by NYC1 (Post 31552006)
Thanks. I will keep you posted on how it goes and the ducks! Waiting to hear from MichielR on the Oktoberfest situation on Monday.

how did this go? I'm curious as i really enjoyed flying Avros

Fabo.sk Nov 1, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by GBM.flights (Post 31689156)
how did this go? I'm curious as i really enjoyed flying Avros

Knowing Avros, not well. I enjoyed flying them as well, but they definitely are a DAA tag kinda airplane.

NYC1 Nov 1, 2019 8:39 am

Funny that this thread came back now because I was just thinking about posting an update.

I actually ended up flying on this on another trip. The flight/plane was fine. They don’t put that divider in the middle seat in C so I could stretch across the three seats, which was nice. The seats are also more comfortable than those NEK seats. Just terrible!

In terms of overhead bin space, my roll aboard would not have fit in there—I decided to check it in to make my life easier and with the HON tags I knew it would come out quickly on the back end (which it did). If my case were regulation size, it would have been ok.