Avro RJ85 overhead bins

Old Sep 20, 19, 9:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Gold.
Posts: 1,198
Avro RJ85 overhead bins

I have the pleasure of flying this plane in “business” after arriving from the US (it will be quite a contrast). This will be FRA-BRU. How big are the overhead bins? I have a roll aboard that’s quite large. What should I expect?
NYC1 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:42 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Posts: 2,682
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
I have the pleasure of flying this plane in “business” after arriving from the US (it will be quite a contrast). This will be FRA-BRU. How big are the overhead bins? I have a roll aboard that’s quite large. What should I expect?
Are you sure? SN, LH and LX have retired their RJ. Or is this a CityJet wetlease?

In any case, the overhead bins above he first couple of rows fit a standard cabin size bag, from row 6 to 9 approx they are tiny due to the high wing of this airplane.

If “quite large” means larger than regulation, ie kitchen sink style, then you would probably have to have it gate checked in FRA and get it back on the bagage belt at BRU.
nancypants likes this.
MichielR is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:48 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Gold.
Posts: 1,198
Originally Posted by MichielR View Post
Are you sure? SN, LH and LX have retired their RJ. Or is this a CityJet wetlease?

In any case, the overhead bins above he first couple of rows fit a standard cabin size bag, from row 6 to 9 approx they are tiny due to the high wing of this airplane.

If “quite large” means larger than regulation, ie kitchen sink style, then you would probably have to have it gate checked in FRA and get it back on the bagage belt at BRU.
Thanks.

CityJet with an LH flight number.

Yes, larger than regulation (but not quite kitchen sink style...) but I’ve never had an issue before (famous last words).

If it’s this CityJet business, does the FCT/driven to gate work?
NYC1 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:28 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Posts: 2,682
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
Thanks.

CityJet with an LH flight number.

Yes, larger than regulation (but not quite kitchen sink style...) but I’ve never had an issue before (famous last words).

If it’s this CityJet business, does the FCT/driven to gate work?
it is an LH flight with wet lease equipment, so in all other aspects a regular LH flight. Therefore a car from the FCT if you are connecting from F (you said C) or are HON.
MichielR is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 1:42 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Gold.
Posts: 1,198
Originally Posted by MichielR View Post
it is an LH flight with wet lease equipment, so in all other aspects a regular LH flight. Therefore a car from the FCT if you are connecting from F (you said C) or are HON.
Thanks.

The business reference was to this flight to BRU. Arriving in F so all’s good. They better have the good ducks!
NYC1 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 19, 9:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GVA,OPO
Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Posts: 1,790
IME these smaller planes (CRJ, Dash, Embraers) usually get the "delivery at aircraft" concept. i.e. Planes are typically at remote stands, served by bus. where you drop off the luggage on a baggage cart, which is loaded as cargo and given back to you on a similar luggage cart on arrival. So if the luggage is on the larger size it should be no issue.
If it's your first flight on an Avro you need to go and have a look at those bins MichielR is describing. It jus about fits a folded Sunday newspaper.
GBM.flights is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:07 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,781
Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
IME these smaller planes (CRJ, Dash, Embraers) usually get the "delivery at aircraft" concept. i.e. Planes are typically at remote stands, served by bus. where you drop off the luggage on a baggage cart, which is loaded as cargo and given back to you on a similar luggage cart on arrival. So if the luggage is on the larger size it should be no issue.
If it's your first flight on an Avro you need to go and have a look at those bins MichielR is describing. It jus about fits a folded Sunday newspaper.
OP is connecting from LH F so won’t have to endure a Cobus from FCT or FCL B where the best Ducks are found
For sure they will be as accommodating as possible for a F transit pax.
chris63 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:31 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GVA,OPO
Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Posts: 1,790
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
OP is connecting from LH F so won’t have to endure a Cobus from FCT or FCL B where the best Ducks are found
For sure they will be as accommodating as possible for a F transit pax.
You're right. The bus was not for him (he'll get a transfer in smtg better). but the rest may apply (depending on the "quite large" of that carry on)
GBM.flights is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 4:06 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Gold.
Posts: 1,198
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
OP is connecting from LH F so won’t have to endure a Cobus from FCT or FCL B where the best Ducks are found
For sure they will be as accommodating as possible for a F transit pax.
Thanks. I will keep you posted on how it goes and the ducks! Waiting to hear from MichielR on the Oktoberfest situation on Monday.
chris63 likes this.
NYC1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread