Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

A clear photo of the affected passengers holding their ID next to their face

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A clear photo of the affected passengers holding their ID next to their face

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by htb
Answer is back: apparently they have implemented this new procedure. Absolutely appalling.

HTB.
Good Lord what a terrible idea. I don’t care for that at all.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:12 pm

Perhaps this particular claim triggered a 'fraud flag' where these extra measures are requested? Given the number of claims LH handles if it were a standard policy for all customers I am sure we would have heard about it from many more people by now.

Could there be specific legal regulations based on the OP's country of residence or nationality?

Edited to add: For the avoidance of doubt I think it is a stupid requirement if applied to every single claim/payment from Lufthansa. While sending a scan of the ID is common now for online transactions I have never heard of a selfie with the ID.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Unless it's your bank or government office requesting this procedure, do not trust any other entity to handle this kind of data. We already know what kind of damage can be done by simply having your CC details / name & address , now imagine not only having a pic of your ID, but a pic of you holding that ID? That's the jackpot in identity theft! Do not do this for a luggage claim, tell them you've been advised by your lawyer not to do this, and what other step can be taken for your claim.

Just because they demand certain things doesn't mean you have to give in. If they'd ask for a blood test from you and your entire family, would you provide it?
A Lyford and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is a lot of ignorance in this thread. This method of identification is completely normal in Germany. It merely confirms that the person identifying themselves is who they really are, no more or less. There is nothing to get your knickers twisted about. Throwing catchy phrases like identity theft around is nonsense.
deniah, lensovet and jctech like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is a lot of ignorance in this thread. This method of identification is completely normal in Germany. It merely confirms that the person identifying themselves is who they really are, no more or less. There is nothing to get your knickers twisted about. Throwing catchy phrases like identity theft around is nonsense.
After 15 years of working in database security and infrastructure, I find your comment extremely ignorant and a reflection of the laid-back attitude that too many people have, until it's their turn to complain. Yes, it's a used method and has its use, no one is disputing it. It isn't up to everyone to request it, since not everyone has the infrastructure to secure such sensitive data, much less a nobody over the phone handling a luggage claim.

Edit: in the jobs I've done where we handled this feature, a watermark was automatically added to all submitted pictures. Eg.: user submits picture holding his ID to "Company ABC", the system would spam a watermark saying "for use by Company ABC only" many times over the picture before being saved in the database.

Last edited by mevr; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:37 am Reason: added
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by htb
I'd love to do that. But I'm not sure 50€ warrant this path... I was thinking of spreading this publicly as wide as possible to shame them. Any ideas where to send this story to?

HTB.
Send Krusty the Clown’s ID?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mevr
After 15 years of working in database security and infrastructure, I find your comment extremely ignorant and a reflection of the laid-back attitude that too many people have, until it's their turn to complain. Yes, it's a used method and has its use, no one is disputing it. It isn't up to everyone to request it, since not everyone has the infrastructure to secure such sensitive data, much less a nobody over the phone handling a luggage claim.

Edit: in the jobs I've done where we handled this feature, a watermark was automatically added to all submitted pictures. Eg.: user submits picture holding his ID to "Company ABC", the system would spam a watermark saying "for use by Company ABC only" many times over the picture before being saved in the database.
What do you do when a hotel asks you for your passport so they can take a photocopy of it? Your passport and driver's license details are already out there all over the place.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:14 am

What do you do when a hotel asks you for your passport so they can take a photocopy of it? Your passport and driver's license details are already out there all over the place.
Thank you for proving my point, that having someone's ID is something that happens all the time, but having the picture of a person holding their ID isn't, and shouldn't become commonplace either.
Grog, chris63, hugolover and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Privacy issues aside, what does such a photo really prove. Hotels need to take a copy of your passport and visa to comply with visitor registration rules set by authorities. Also how someone can steal your identity by using a photo of you with your ID is also not clear to me. The information in most passports is captured frequently along the travel chain and not very securely stored by anyone.
Grog likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mevr
Thank you for proving my point, that having someone's ID is something that happens all the time, but having the picture of a person holding their ID isn't, and shouldn't become commonplace either.
I don't understand your point. What is problematic about having a picture of you next to a picture of you on your ID?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Why not send a GDPR subject access request right after submitting the photo? You'll find out why LH needs it and for how long it is stored - and can make them delete it.
Grog, Temedar, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Appalling request & given the state of LH IT I wouldn’t trust them to store anything properly
Grog, hugolover, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
In my 38 years (of which the first 26 in Germany) I have not experienced this once, and classifying it as "normal in Germany" is a gross misstatement.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
In my 38 years (of which the first 26 in Germany) I have not experienced this once, and classifying it as "normal in Germany" is a gross misstatement.
I moved to Germany one year ago and can verify that this kind of identification process is not uncommon. When you attempt to open a bank account through internet (N26, Commdirect, etc.) or activate pre-paid SIM card you purchased from supermarket, the easiest way for personal identification is through video chat and people are asked to hold their ID next to their face. So, definitely not a new thing for expats. Although it is probably more secure through (hopefully) encoded video feed than merely sending a photo over without any watermarks.
deniah likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mfkne
38 years ago it was uncommon to send anything over the internet. And 12 years ago this system didn't exist either. Trust me, it is a common manner of remote identification in Germany. Post-Ident is a similar system. It simply confirms that the live person purporting to be someone actually is the person identified on the document.
deniah likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.