Wiki Posts
Search

CPAP while flying

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN for Life
CPAP while flying

Has anyone ever seen someone using a CPAP during a night flight?

This is a device used for people with Sleep Apnea.

I would imagine that it would feak out people and the FA's but it actually helps with a better and healtier (safer) sleep.

Any sightings and what happened or didn't appreciated.

Shofar
Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by Shofar
Has anyone ever seen someone using a CPAP during a night flight?

This is a device used for people with Sleep Apnea.

I would imagine that it would feak out people and the FA's but it actually helps with a better and healtier (safer) sleep.

Any sightings and what happened or didn't appreciated.

Shofar
I remember a woman using a CPAP device two rows behind me in a concert of the Philadelphia orchestra in Kimmel Hall. The sound was simply annoying and completely spoilt the first half of the concert .
Yesterday morning I had a patient who told me he once took his CPAP device through airport security and it obviously had not been really simple to convince security people.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:15 am
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Hi Shofar,

Use of a CPAP machine should be possible on your LH flight, though I can't speak for ease of passage through airport security. Rest assured that many FAs have also seen this before.

You will need to let your local LH office know about it in advance and medical clearance from your doc may also be required. Ask to deal with the medical desk (which may be located in DE).

Good luck,
Michelle
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: Amex switch hitter
The person had a tracheostomy and was using c-pap on Amtrak.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN for Life
Originally Posted by LHrelate
Hi Shofar,

Use of a CPAP machine should be possible on your LH flight, though I can't speak for ease of passage through airport security. Rest assured that many FAs have also seen this before.

You will need to let your local LH office know about it in advance and medical clearance from your doc may also be required. Ask to deal with the medical desk (which may be located in DE).

Good luck,
Michelle
Thanks for all the positive feedback and the Heads up about the LH Medical desk.
I've travled with it for years but never used it onboard.

In USA they now treat it as a computer with secondary separate screening. In Europe no problem at all.
In UK I was able to take a second carryon just telling the first screeners that it was a CPAP.

Thanks again,

Shofar
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:48 am

I bring my CPAP through security all the time without problem. They'll often take a look at the one with a rechargeable battery pack, but no problems.

I've tried using it in flight a couple of times, but it has always been a bit awkward in terms of finding a stable place for the CPAP unit itself.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Can I use my CPAP on Lufthansa?

I'm flying business class on Lufthansa from New York to Frankfurt in early November. Does anyone know if I can use my cpap machine? It's not a battery operated one but I may be willing to purchase one if needed. I have to hit the ground running when I get to my destination so to just go without for a night wouldn't be the wisest thing to do.

I've read a number of the forums but haven't seen anything posted in 2015 or for Lufthansa. Help please
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by bolumko
I'm flying business class on Lufthansa from New York to Frankfurt in early November. Does anyone know if I can use my cpap machine? It's not a battery operated one but I may be willing to purchase one if needed. I have to hit the ground running when I get to my destination so to just go without for a night wouldn't be the wisest thing to do.

I've read a number of the forums but haven't seen anything posted in 2015 or for Lufthansa. Help please
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:09 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
bolumko, let me add my welcome, as well.

The best place for this discussion is in the FlyerTalk forum specific to Lufthansa. I'll move the thread to that forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:20 am

There is a disability travel section that has several threads that discusses cpap usage inflight here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/.

I regularly fly transPacific and use it all the time. Best way to check is to see what their website says re medical devices, second option is to actually call them and ask. Airlines that I've used in-flight with on-plane power includes Eva Air, Cathay Pacific, United Airlines, ANA and JAL. No experience with European carriers.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
CPAP machines are allowed on board:

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myp...en&cid=1000390

Traveling with other assistive device
Lufthansa will accept assistive devices with batteries as checked baggage as well as inside the cabin. Assistive devices with batteries include respirators, CPAP machines (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine), portable oxygen concentrators (POC) and ventilators. Traveling with a POC requires a physician statement. Lufthansa will allow qualified individuals with a disability who are using FAA approved personal respirators/ventilators to bring their equipment, including non-spillable batteries, onboard the aircraft. You must have sufficient battery power for 150% of the maximum flight duration.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Yes you can. Someone was using one next to me on LH recently, and my boss flies with his on every trip.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
CRAP on Lufthansa

My built in tunnelvision made me read "CRAP on Lufthansa" and I was expecting an intense rant. And here's that civilised discussion ...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
C..You must have sufficient battery power for 150% of the maximum flight duration.
I can already see some overzealous agent trying to assess that criterion with no real tools available.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by weero
I can already see some overzealous agent trying to assess that criterion with no real tools available.
It wouldn't be the gate agent since the battery criteria is for use and the gate agent doesn't know if you are just stowing it for the flight.

Meanwhile, other airlines have the same requirement, because they don't guarantee non-interrupted power is available at every seat. But I don't ask permission, I just plug it in (sans water humidifer so it is low power) at bedtime. For some devices, the batteries are probably important. But a CPAP without power isn't different from not using it at all. If a FA actually stopped me, then the rest of the cabin will likely riot against them because it turns my chainsaw snoring into peaceful breathing.

Last edited by Gig103; Oct 16, 2015 at 9:51 pm Reason: "power power"? Uh no, "power".
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
CPAP on LOT

Is anyone aware of any policies that LOT has regarding CPAP use during flights? I know that some airlines require advanced authorization, but I couldn't find any info regarding LOT's policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.