Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with children on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Flying with children on Lufthansa

I’m flying PHL-FRA-TLV with a 5 month old and 3 year old in the beginning of October. I requested a bassinet seat but am told I am not able to book adjoining seats until arrival at the airport, depending on availability. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I am majorly anxious about making sure that we can all sit together as a family, which is why I tried to reserve these seats well in advance, but Lufthansa says there’s nothing they can do until day of.
also, has anyone been able to use any of the seat extender products in the bassinet row (flytot, jetkids, inflatables,etc)? Wondering if we should just forgo bassinet and hold baby through the flight.
thank you!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:47 am

I'm not sure about Lufthansa's policies on the whole but thought I'd add my own experience from travelling with a 5 month old.
  • Definitely book a bassinet seat. Carrying an infant in one's arms for more than a couple of hours on a plane is painful.
  • A lot of people book seats adjoining the bassinet seats as they're usually on a bulkhead and they take the gamble that there wouldn't be an infant next to them.
  • Most such people will happily switch away once they realise that there will be in fact an infant next to them on a long haul flight. Just make sure your other selected seat is an "attractive" seat, i.e. window or aisle.
Good luck!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Please see and read https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/flying-with-baby

We have special bassinets available on our entire long-haul fleet: these are perfectly suited to babies under 11 kg in weight and under 67 cm in length. The number of bassinets on board is limited. You can reserve a bassinet up to 52 hours before your flight departs. Please note that, depending on your booking class, a seat reservation fee for the seat with the bassinet may apply. For further information, please contact our Lufthansa Service Center.

Lufthansa Service Center
With the 5 month old you are eligible for the row with the bassinet which I strongly recommend to reserve as quickly as possible. The only issue is that normally two seats belong to one bassinet. Most times two bassinets are available in the middle row which has for seats. If you only need two seats (for you and your 5 old) this shouldn't be a problem. If you need more seats the other person has to sit across aisle because the other seats in the middle row are normally for the other bassinet. About any seat extensions please check the Lufthansa website where they explain in detail what is allowed and what not. See https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/safe...ldren-on-board

Little tip: If for some reason you do not get a bassinet take a baby carrier with you so your baby can sleep in the carrier and you do not need to hold it all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.