Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by jreichel
Be advised, though, that you can't board or deboard at Bonn HBF. The Express Rail trains (formerly AIRail) coming from Köln stop at a station called Siegburg/Bonn! You'll need a separate ticket for the S-Bahn and/or tram for the short hop between Siegburg/Bonn and your final destination.
Thanks very much, I didn't know that! The S-Bahn-net is a very useful relic of the old capital city status, and will come in handy.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:33 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Most likely this is what you will be taking

https://www.swb-busundbahn.de/filead...rplaene/66.pdf

Lines 66 & 67 go from Central Bonn to Siegburg.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:22 am

LH Express Rail as part of the travel - can I skip?

I saw some older post with regards to this question, but wanted to check what is the latest, if someone knows...
We want to travel to Vilnius (LT) over Ester, and Frankfurt would be the most convenient airport to fly from. However, the flights from FRA to VNO are about 1100€ for the family.

Just for curiosity I checked STR to VNO, and the cost is below 800€, but starting at ZWS (Stuttgart main train station) to FRA and then the same flight to VNO we would take if going from FRA. The Stuttgart - Frankfurt connection is the LH Express Rail, operated by Deutsche Bahn, and I am considering if we could just skip it? Do we HAVE to be on the train to take the flight? And the same for the way back - can we just get our luggage in Frankfurt and go home using different transport, not getting on the train? I guess on the way back there can't be much come back from LH, but would not like to risk denied boarding on the way out.

The other option would be to start from Mannheim, which is actually closest for us, but then the cost for the same train/flight combination goes up to almost 1700€!!!!! Really strange pricing, I would say!

Last edited by gintarec; Feb 19, 2019 at 8:16 am Reason: spelling...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:42 am

LH’s view to that question (are you allowed to skip an Airrail keg) is: No.

But the chance of LH will get aware of you skipping it is very close to zero. Even with a normal DB ticket you often don’t get you ticket checked on a train between STR and FRA. Of course you can start/end your trip in Mannheim as well. But should be the same train, just in case you get your ticket checked between Mannheim and FRA (what is unlikely).

And don’t worry about your luggage. It’s no problem to check-in your luggage at a normal check-in counter even if you have an Airrail leg before.

So the overall risk of an denied boarding is very close to zero. Often done, never heard of someone, who wasn’t allowed to board. But theoretically it could happen.
gintarec likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Check in online and feel free to skip the ZWS-FRA segment. Only note that you should not try to checkin luggage in FRA before the scheduled time of arrival of your feeder train.
gintarec likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:04 am

Perfect, that will save us a few hours of travel with 2 kids, and a few hundred euros. i just find the pricing crazy
Thanks for help!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
But remember to check in online for that train. If you don't, you will not get a boarding pass for your Vilnius flight
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:29 pm

Skipping the train-leg of a journey

So AustrianAirlines has this AIRRail service of flight-train combos. I'm looking to get to Vienna, and tickets are quite expansive, but if I put Linz as a destination (a small city 2 hours away from Vienna) it's quite cheaper. Basically I'm suppose to land in Vienna then take the train to Linz, all under the same itinerary and ticket.

For the flight coming into Vienna that's not a problem, I'll simply not take the train, and I don't think they will check it. For the coming back, though, I'm just concerned regarding how the check-in takes place and if I can check in online or at Vienna airport, without coming on the train from Linz.This post from 2015claims the airline isn't actually checking if you got on the train and you can come from wherever you want.

Just want to make sure I can check in at the airport. I'm seeing no restrictions or limitations, and it says that there is the option to check in at the train station, but nowhere does it say if I can check-in online/at the airport. Should I assume it's safe to book it then?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Miles and More Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
skiplegging DB from Lufthansa + Deutsche Bahn offer

Hello there,

I am thinking of booking a flight with Lufthansa, FRA - OTP - FRA.
However, DTM - FRA - OTP - FRA - DTM is much cheaper.
Here comes the interesting part: the segment DTM - FRA and FRA - DTM is completed by train, not by flight. (technically, this is not DTM but DTZ).
The segment FRA - OTP - FRA is, ofcourse, completed by an aircraft.
Lufthansa is selling the tickets.

Question: Can I skiplegged the train segment (DTM - FRA) ?
How can Lufthansa know if I actually completed the segment since there is no check-in in the train.

I need advice from someone who actually completed such a trip with/without skiplegging the DB segment.

Looking forward to your answers.
Kind Regards,
Stefan

Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:05 pm

No problem, as long as you

​​​​​​- check - in for all segments of the ticket (as the flight originates in Dortmund: only possible online for the outward flight. In Bukarest, you will automatically get boarding passes for both flights)
- if you happen to add checked luggage to your ticket: make sure to check this in in Frankfurt only after the arrival time of your train
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:14 pm

thanks for replying. DTM - FRA (actually DTZ - FRA since is the train station) is actually a train ride.
Please read carefully. Question was if there is any identification in the train station and reported by Deutsche Bahn back to Lufthansa.
Whilst this is not usually the case, maybe with some tickets they might do this. I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I'm still waiting for someone actuall's experience.

Originally Posted by A340-600
No problem, as long as you

​​​​​​- check - in for all segments of the ticket (as the flight originates in Dortmund: only possible online for the outward flight. In Bukarest, you will automatically get boarding passes for both flights)
- if you happen to add checked luggage to your ticket: make sure to check this in in Frankfurt only after the arrival time of your train

Last edited by st8dm; Feb 8, 2020 at 1:14 pm Reason: add on
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by st8dm
thanks for replying. DTM - FRA (actually DTZ - FRA since is the train station) is actually a train ride.
Please read carefully. Question was if there is any identification in the train station and reported by Deutsche Bahn back to Lufthansa.
Whilst this is not usually the case, maybe with some tickets they might do this. I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I'm still waiting for someone actuall's experience.
What is the problem? A340-600 answered your question. It is a question which has been asked hundreds of times before.
You can skip the segment, but you are not allowed to. There may be someone checking the tickets in the train, but it is not always the case. Further to this, there are other methods of Lufthansa for checking if you are skipping the leg. You may especially run into trouble if you check in bags, if the train is delayed, if the return flight has an irreg (and you are rerouted to your final destination), if you check in bags in Frankfurt before the actual arrival of the train, if you try to access security or lounge in FRA before arrival of the train etc.. I would not recommend doing so.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:17 pm

SebFra please don't be angry.
I am well aware of skiplegging consequences on flights, but not when using trains.

Question was simple: is DB checking identity of passengers and then send this data to LH in due time, therefore canceling the following segments?
My intuition says no, but I would rather know for sure.
Has anyone actually experienced this? Guesses and ironic comments are useless.
I was looking for an answer for many hours in different posts and I was unable to find an answer.
Ofcourse there is no checked in luggage.

I guess I will just have to find out for myself.

thanks

Originally Posted by SebFra
What is the problem? A340-600 answered your question. It is a question which has been asked hundreds of times before.
You can skip the segment, but you are not allowed to. There may be someone checking the tickets in the train, but it is not always the case. Further to this, there are other methods of Lufthansa for checking if you are skipping the leg. You may especially run into trouble if you check in bags, if the train is delayed, if the return flight has an irreg (and you are rerouted to your final destination), if you check in bags in Frankfurt before the actual arrival of the train, if you try to access security or lounge in FRA before arrival of the train etc.. I would not recommend doing so.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by st8dm
SebFra please don't be angry.
I am well aware of skiplegging consequences on flights, but not when using trains.

Question was simple: is DB checking identity of passengers and then send this data to LH in due time, therefore canceling the following segments?
My intuition says no, but I would rather know for sure.
Has anyone actually experienced this? Guesses and ironic comments are useless.
I was looking for an answer for many hours in different posts and I was unable to find an answer.
Ofcourse there is no checked in luggage.

I guess I will just have to find out for myself.

thanks
Yes, there was a famous case where LH cancelled the tickets of nearly 30 people doing this. I don't know if they have an actual backend system communicating it (Amtrak and UA does), or whether it was selective enforcement to make a lesson when they've noticed this being popular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.