Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze

A friend and mine disagree on whether or not it is possible to skip the Airrail segment that is the first segment of an outbound flight. He says that on his recent Airrail train ride from Stuttgart to Frankfurt his ticket was checked but no note was made whether he was on board or not. I have a feeling that, to prevent misuse, Lufthansa will collect the names of those passengers sitting in the Airrail coach to see who was on board and who wasn't. But then again, my friend says, what if you're in the loo or sat in the restaurant car when the ticket inspector comes to your original seat which is then empty? Any recent experience, anyone? Thanks, ps
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:39 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
IMO it's very unlikely that LH would cancel your onward trip if your seat on the train is not occupied. You are free to roam onboard and can go to the dining car, to a friend traveling with you with a regular ticket in another coach or to the restroom...

On a recent trip I had a ticket for Stuttgart to Frankfurt but didn't make it to Stuttgart due to a late connecting train but could instead go to Mannheim and enter the train there. No problems with the DB conductor with my online BP. And nobody from LH checking the coach where I sat between Mannheim and Frankfurt. Miles were credited as normal and no problems with my connecting flight.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Airrail is not checked or subject to sequence auto cancellation, your friend is right. The same applies to the LH Bus to/from SXB, which is an excellent vehicle to use fares issued for France but starting your trip in FRA. (cough cough)
Old May 17, 2012, 12:06 pm

Skipping Airail Segment

Some friends of mine are visiting me in June. They will be flying into and out of STR with the first leg on the return being a train from Stuttgart to FRA.

Since from where I am it is quicker to take other ground transport to FRA than via Stuttgart, how does Lufthansa handle missed Airail segments? Do they count as a no-show and hence the rest of your itinerary is cancelled? Or are they safe to skip?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:07 am

Can anyone confirm that you can skip a LH AirRail train segment (i.e. Stuttgart to FRA) and still catch your outbound flight? I can buy a ticket for 150 euros cheaper if I book the AirRAil/LH ticket as opposed to just buying the LH ticket. However, it would be quicker for me to just drive to FRA.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Welcome to FT!

You have to check in for the Airrail segment (online, in ZWS etc) but don't need to be on the train.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:24 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You have to check in for the Airrail segment (online, in ZWS etc) but don't need to be on the train.
I think this is not correct. Lufthansa does insist that you are on the train, and they try to check.

However, as long as you insist that you had been on the train, it's hard for them to prove otherwise.

HTB.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I have a FRA-QKL-FRA trip coming up on a D fare, due to change in meetings schedule I might need to skip FRA and fly to CGN direct. Due to cancellation penalties and higher one way fare, it is cheaper to skip the FRA-QKL segment and use the return portion only rather than cancel the ticket altogether and book a new QKL-FRA one way.
I assume from the above posts that if I OLCI the FRA-QKL segment and don't turn up, I should be able to use the return portion QKL-FRA as originally booked.
TIA.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
I assume from the above posts that if I OLCI the FRA-QKL segment and don't turn up, I should be able to use the return portion QKL-FRA as originally booked.
Yep, that is the case.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Is this still the case? Can I do hidden city ticketing to FRA, buy a ticket to QKL and and use FRA-QKL-FRA (these would be on subsequent days). Would there be any issue with online checkin for the return?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Just to report back, the two airrail segments were successfully skipped.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:09 am

How about skipping rail segment in this year?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
business as usual.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:08 am

Hi, I bought ticket to Stuggart for coming christmas and wannt to skip AIRail segment too, is there any updates in 2015?
For the outbound trip, if I don‘t check in and get the boarding pass at Stuggart, I can still check in and get the boarding at Frankurt Airport??
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:08 pm

You need to checkin online for the entire trip before the train leaves ZWS. Showing up in FRA is perfectly fine in such cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.