Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adria award/canceled flight shenanigans?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Adria award/canceled flight shenanigans?

Way back in August, I booked an award ticket IAD-CPH-LJU using Avianca miles for June 2019, with the first leg on SAS and the second on Adria. I heard nothing since, but in a periodic check of my reservations, I discovered that the CPH-LJU leg had been deleted, with the notation that the flight has been canceled. I was starting to panic, as there are no other CPH-LJU flights, and there is no other business availability on any other Star carrier on *any* flight across the ocean at this point. The best option would entail me flying from CPH to LJU via WAW, arriving 6 hours later than originally scheduled.

But here's the thing, I checked and Adria has *not* canceled the flight. It is scheduled to depart, under the same flight number, at the exact same time as when I booked. There's just no award availability.

I know I have to deal with Avianca, but Lifemiles is in the middle of a five-day blackout (absurd, yes). So I figured I'd come here and see if this was some known error with Adria.
Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is plenty of time until June so breathe in, breathe out and relax! - I suggest to leave it as it is. Most likely AV will contact you eventually. If not, just show up at the airport at the let the check-in or ticket staff deal with it.

If you contact Avianca now this will be treated as a voluntary rebooking and if there is no award availability on the Adria flight, you will never be on that flight (AV can't/will not rebook you on the flight if there is no award availability)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:56 am

Adria has recently announced a significant network shake-up for the summer ahead Copenhagen is amongst the affected routes*, even though it seems that just one service (Friday) is getting the axe (which inevitably means that, if you were scheduled to fly to Ljubljana on a Friday, then I'm afraid you're out of luck).

*For the records, Warsaw/Kiev/Brač/Bucharest/Dubrovnik/Geneva/Hamburg are all discontinued.

G
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that a one way CPH-LJU on JP511 in june costs 170$, so if AV has no solution I would just ask them to take out that segment and slum it out on my own dime. We are talking about a 90 minute flight on an CRJ900...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that a one way CPH-LJU on JP511 in june costs 170$, so if AV has no solution I would just ask them to take out that segment and slum it out on my own dime. We are talking about a 90 minute flight on an CRJ900...
Alas for the day I'm looking, the cheapest I'm seeing is $257 which seems a bit much now. I've got some flight alerts set, so we'll see.
Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Is Ljubljana where you want to end up? Zagreb is close and has flights from Copenhagen. There's also Venice, Klagenfurt, Pula and Trieste. Maybe you can find award space to one of those and then take a train to LJU (or wherever your final destination is supposed to be).

If you really want to go to Ljubljana, checking Miles and More there is economy availability every day in June that I can see and biz most days albeit with a connection (Munich, Warsaw, Frankfurt, Zurich). So in the worst case, Avianca should be able to rebook you with less convenient flights.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Is Ljubljana where you want to end up? Zagreb is close and has flights from Copenhagen. There's also Venice, Klagenfurt, Pula and Trieste. Maybe you can find award space to one of those and then take a train to LJU (or wherever your final destination is supposed to be).

If you really want to go to Ljubljana, checking Miles and More there is economy availability every day in June that I can see and biz most days albeit with a connection (Munich, Warsaw, Frankfurt, Zurich). So in the worst case, Avianca should be able to rebook you with less convenient flights.
Thanks.
Yes I am going to Ljubljana, and had already checked all of those destinations. Since there was no other transatlantic award availability, and no nonstop flights from Copenhagen to any of those destinations; rebooking to those destinations would have been no more convenient than the Warsaw connection to LJU I mentioned in my first post.

Fortunately @oliver2002 was able to provide me with some more info, and it appears I was able to get reinstated on my original flight by emailing the Adria office in the record, who responded promptly and reinstated the segment, and then calling Avianca Lifemiles when they opened today, who revalidated the ticket. Adria says the flight was canceled in November and reinstated in December, which seems weird, but whatever.

Thanks all. Let's hope they stick with the schedule now!
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent that you could get it figured out, oliver2002 knows his stuff!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: FB, MM, QR
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Thanks.
Yes I am going to Ljubljana, and had already checked all of those destinations. Since there was no other transatlantic award availability, and no nonstop flights from Copenhagen to any of those destinations;

How so? I'll be flying on the almost daily (12345_7) OU flight from CPH to ZAG in June, and then taking the €9 train to Ljubljana. Does Avianca show no availability on OU?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Somnifer
How so? I'll be flying on the almost daily (12345_7) OU flight from CPH to ZAG in June, and then taking the €9 train to Ljubljana. Does Avianca show no availability on OU?
Correct there was no availability when I looked last week.
I wasn't saying the flights don't exist, just that there was no availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.