Wiki Posts
Search

A quick way to accumulate 140k M&M miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Cool A quick way to accumulate 140k M&M miles

Require quick action..... I am trying to find a quick way to accumulate M&M miles very quickly. I am just registering now for M&M and have a flight from ORD-FRA in April which I need M&M miles for an upgrade. I reside in USA, have plenty Chase Sapphire points, some AMEX points, and lots of UA MP points.... but don't think any of those are transferable to M&M. Looking to accumulate 140k of points. Ideas??
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brostman
Require quick action..... I am trying to find a quick way to accumulate M&M miles very quickly. I am just registering now for M&M and have a flight from ORD-FRA in April which I need M&M miles for an upgrade. I reside in USA, have plenty Chase Sapphire points, some AMEX points, and lots of UA MP points.... but don't think any of those are transferable to M&M. Looking to accumulate 140k of points. Ideas??
I don't think this post contributes to a "List of M&M promotions" but I'll try to answer anyhow.

1.) Using M&M miles for upgrades is usually considered poor value. (An outright award in the desired travel class is usually better value.)

2.) It is easy to accumulate award miles quickly if you have an address in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. Basically, you can purchase some newspaper or magazine subscriptions where the gift for signing-up is a bunch of M&M award miles. This thread as well as other threads occasionally report good opportunities.

3.) Given the info you provided, I'm wondering if crediting the flight to UA MP and using MP miles for the upgrade award is an option.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanp
I don't think this post contributes to a "List of M&M promotions" but I'll try to answer anyhow.

1.) Using M&M miles for upgrades is usually considered poor value. (An outright award in the desired travel class is usually better value.)

2.) It is easy to accumulate award miles quickly if you have an address in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. Basically, you can purchase some newspaper or magazine subscriptions where the gift for signing-up is a bunch of M&M award miles. This thread as well as other threads occasionally report good opportunities.

3.) Given the info you provided, I'm wondering if crediting the flight to UA MP and using MP miles for the upgrade award is an option.
RyanP..... thanks for the info..... My flight is controlled by the cruise line.... it is in P fare class and I don't think it qualifies for a *A upgrade, otherwise that would definitely work out as my best option given the amount of MP miles I have at my discretion. And yes an outright award is almost always the better value, but given my miles are MP, I would not even have a chance on LH for a *A award until about 15 days before the departure flight... and I don't Mrs B has the tolerance for rolling the dice on our flights
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
If your flight is already in P (Business) class, then you are looking to upgrade to First.

As a non-Status member of Miles&More, your chances of securing an F cabin upgrade on specific, fixed date flights, using M&M miles are not much greater than hoping they become available as UA MP rewards.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I need a $10,000 dress. Someone suggested a I rob a bank...

Seriously though:

1) If you’re a US resident you can try your luck applying for the M&M MasterCard. Not sure what the sign up bonus is but it might have been 100k when I last checked? But you’ll still need 40k miles.
2) Mileage runs would be dumb to get to 140k miles. Might as well just pay for the upgrade.
3) Even if you got the miles, you will likely not score the upgrade.

Not sure I really see a path way here. But LH business is not a bad spot to be in. You’ll survive.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:16 am

Likely you will get stuck with a bunch of miles you dont want and expire if you dont get the credit card.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Check your booking on the Lufthansa website and see if LH is offering the buy-up upgrade to F. I saw €600 from Business (P) to First class last month on a flight from South Africa to Frankfurt, maybe there is something similiar from US.

I don't think getting 140k M&M is particularly realistic, and even if you do there are no guarantees you will be able to upgrade to F.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Here is a solution, but it's going to be an expensive one: for about 2850.- CHF/USD. For me it's not worth the hassle and the financial investment!
And you should technically have an address in CH, DE, FR or Italy I believe.

Still interested? Here we go:

1) open a superpoint account
2) buy at least 28'000 superpoints through anibis.ch (the link is just an example), tutti,ch, .... nb: ricardo.ch doesn't work since the address will be verified before being able to buy anything.
3) buy miles via the superpoints account, you'd need at least 1000 points + top up the rest in CHF to buy 5000 miles. And this, times x28.

nb: your miles and more account should also have an address in Switzerland or around it.

Voilà!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by 8420PR

I don't think getting 140k M&M is particularly realistic, and even if you do there are no guarantees you will be able to upgrade to F.
Not a Cat in Hell’s chance, if it was that easy we would all be doing it
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Some options for the miles:
  • You could transfer Marriott Rewards points if you have tons of them, but it's not great value. That would be 345,000 Marriott points (or 360k for 150k M&M). Please do not transfer Amex MR to Marriott to M&M, that would be terrible value for your points.
  • The US Barclaycard LH M&M card offers 50,000 or 60,000 bonus with $5,000 in spend. You and the Mrs could each apply, prepay taxes or something to meet minimum spend quickly. That would get you to 110k or 130k after minimum spend, depending which offer you find.
To be frank, for an overnight flight upgrading C to F hardly seems to be worth the effort to get the miles, or to spend the Marriott points. It would make more sense FRA - ORD with an FCT visit.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Why not just pay cash for the upgrade?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input and insights.... pretty much confirmed what I was thinking in terns of the probability of finding a path to upgrading with points. As someone pointed out, it is on the short of end of the spectrum for long haul flights so flying Bus class is still a good experience if I can not find a reasonable cash upgrade option.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Brostman
Thanks to all for the input and insights.... pretty much confirmed what I was thinking in terns of the probability of finding a path to upgrading with points. As someone pointed out, it is on the short of end of the spectrum for long haul flights so flying Bus class is still a good experience if I can not find a reasonable cash upgrade option.
AFAIK you are always able to pay the fare difference and upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Yes, but definitely not always the case that it's good value. Very much case by case.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Yes, but definitely not always the case that it's good value. Very much case by case.
I concur. However, if you have no miles to start with and need to buy them as suggested upthread, it becomes quite the hassle for a simple upgrade. Time is money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.