Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH 401 Delayed by 25 Hours. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

LH 401 Delayed by 25 Hours. Why?

I am flying LH 401 in two weeks connecting in Frankfurt to London. I always thought of that flight as pretty reliable. I've been checking its on time performance over the last couple of weeks and was surprised to see that today's flight has been delayed 25 hours. Does anyone know why? I checked and LH 400 from FRA to JFK arrived on schedule this afternoon.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:05 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Strange.

Assuming you arrive at check in at ~1400 for your ~1600 LH flight, there should be plenty of time to get moved to one of the 15+ nonstops from JFK-LHR every night. There are worse places to have a flight cancel...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nancy Colson
I am flying LH 401 in two weeks connecting in Frankfurt to London. I always thought of that flight as pretty reliable. I've been checking its on time performance over the last couple of weeks and was surprised to see that today's flight has been delayed 25 hours. Does anyone know why? I checked and LH 400 from FRA to JFK arrived on schedule this afternoon.
I'm curious why you think that a delay today (probably technical) has any bearing on your flight in two weeks?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I wonder if this is the reason:

LH471 delayed 7hrs due to flight swap

Potentially harder to recover service on YYZ-FRA, so they sent the 748 destined for the LH401 there and rebooked people out of JFK?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by Nancy Colson
There are almost certainly better uses of your time.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The strange part is why the OP travels to London via FRA/on LH when there dozens of direct services JFK-FRA
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The strange part is why the OP travels to London via FRA/on LH when there dozens of direct services JFK-FRA
To be fair, I do this. LH F is the best product for east coast TATL except for SQ Suites.

But yes, I am frequently irritated by the connection. Flights out of LHR are frequently delayed. Thankfully I have yet to miss a longhaul connection, although I have come very close on two occasions.

With New York in particular, missing a flight is not a huge tragedy. There is a later flight out of FRA, or you could be routed LH flight to EWR, or you could go through MUC or ZRH or GVA. Missing an SFO or LAX flight would greatly cause me to reevaluate my airline prefs.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I do this most of the time too, assuming I am not in a rush... it’s significantly nicer, both in terms of airport experience at JFK and on-board than one of the direct services.

I arrive refreshed and happy, rather than annoyed and questioning my life decisions, which is how I usually feel after flying BA long haul.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:46 am

Also if you’re a Star Alliance traveler, it’s either UA direct or LH or SQ. Hopefully the choice between these three is pretty obvious, even the non-choice option is a direct flight.

BTW, LH is the obvious choice here and not SQ. The SQ flight leaves too early from FRA such that even the earliest morning flight from LHR won’t make it in time. Unless you want to do an overnight connection, LH is best.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You do realise that the OP inquires about ex. JFK to London - not London/FRA to JFK/US.
Grog likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

It doesn't have any impact on my flight in two weeks I was just curious as to why a flight would be delayed like that with no explanation.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I had some United miles I wanted to use and prefer to fly out of JFK. Newark is very inconvenient for me.

Last edited by Nancy Colson; Dec 27, 2018 at 6:10 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sophialite
Also if you’re a Star Alliance traveler, it’s either UA direct or LH or SQ. Hopefully the choice between these three is pretty obvious, even the non-choice option is a direct flight.

BTW, LH is the obvious choice here and not SQ. The SQ flight leaves too early from FRA such that even the earliest morning flight from LHR won’t make it in time. Unless you want to do an overnight connection, LH is best.
UA is not a choice from JFK. Your second paragraph I don’t follow...
chris63 and Grog like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite

I am aware that UA doesn't fly out of JFK. That is why I am using the UA miles on LH.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

I was referring to NYC generally.

If you can’t follow my second paragraph, try rereading it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.