Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is preferable. Lufthansa or Eurowings?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Which is preferable. Lufthansa or Eurowings?

I am traveling from Tokyo to London and unfortunately have an unavoidable transfer in Germany. I can choose Lufthansa metal or Eurowings which I believe is owned by Lufthansa. Is one preferable to the other for the short trip to London? I've flown Lufthansa in the past and have mixed feelings about them. Haven't any experience with Eurowings at all.
Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:42 pm

If you have star alliance status besides LH, UA or NH and want to use the lounge or other privileges, then stick to LH.

In any other case just pick the cheapest/most convenient.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Since your long-haul is most likely LH, I would suggest to go LH all the way. If something goes wrong, this will make things smoother.
royng likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:18 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Eurowings is part of LH FFP but not part of Star Alliance, hence if you use a different program than Miles & More then you will get no miles nor any benefit. I would stick to LH anyway as Eurowings is buy on board as far as I can recall.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
If you already have mixed feelings about LH, avoid Eurowings like the plague
royng and SPlDER like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you are travelling from Tokyo to London and the itinerary involves Eurowings you must be considering NH209 NRT-DUS. I know NRT-DUS is often cheaper than HND-FRA or HND-MUC but is it necessary for you to transfer in Germany? If not you might also consider NRT-BRU on NH and BRU-LHR on Brussels Airlines.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For a short flight from DUS I really wouldn't fret. Your position of LH v Eurowings will be determined by your entry point into Germany, since the two airlines don't overlap on any route. Frankly, transferring at MUC or DUS with their respective connecting partners, is neither here nor there.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
since the two airlines don't overlap on any route.
They do eg on the DUS to MUC route.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

They do eg on the DUS to MUC route.
Mea culpa!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Eurowings is part of LH FFP but not part of Star Alliance, hence if you use a different program than Miles & More then you will get no miles nor any benefit. I would stick to LH anyway as Eurowings is buy on board as far as I can recall.
I am ticketed through Air Canada and definitely get my Altitude and Aeroplan miles when I fly EW from CDG or LHR to DUS. Always. I also benefit from my *A gold status.

I would always take LH metal if I could though, simply because you can't even get a cup of water in economy on EW. I'm typically up front so no problem for me but the couple of times I was in the back I was not a happy camper.

Last edited by WaytoomuchEurope; Aug 22, 2018 at 9:08 am Reason: Mistakenly wrote FRA and meant DUS
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I am ticketed through Air Canada and definitely get my Altitude and Aeroplan miles when I fly EW from CDG or LHR to DUS. Always. I also benefit from my *A gold status.

I would always take LH metal if I could though, simply because you can't even get a cup of water in economy on EW. I'm typically up front so no problem for me but the couple of times I was in the back I was not a happy camper.

Flying Best I prefer EW for the better legroom and the more flexible catering. The same is true for Eco if I can secure a seat in the front rows. I can get any glas of water I want and happily pay for it.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended

I also benefit from my *A gold status.
What *A Gold benefits do you get on EW, a non-*A airline? You wouldn't get lounge access or priority check-in, for example.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Flying Best I prefer EW for the better legroom and the more flexible catering. The same is true for Eco if I can secure a seat in the front rows. I can get any glas of water I want and happily pay for it.
This
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What *A Gold benefits do you get on EW, a non-*A airline? You wouldn't get lounge access or priority check-in, for example.
You know, you're right. Mea culpa.

I have only ever flown EW as a segment within 1 long-haul ticket. Because of this I've never had to check-in at a counter for an EW flight. I've also not tried to access a lounge the times I was riding in the back of the plane because of short connections.

You've exposed something for me and now I have a problem. 4 hours in CDG without access to the *A lounge I so badly want to spend the morning in. I'm inbound on an AC flight, but outbound to DUS on EW so there's no way they're going to let me in there.

I supposed I'll have access to an LH lounge because I am flying on a D fare with EW.

Anyway, I stand corrected on all fronts!

EDIT: Note that I definitely accumulate miles on these flights though.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

4 hours in CDG without access to the *A lounge I so badly want to spend the morning in.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'm not sure if you know, but the LH lounge at CDG is not a space I'd want to spend more than 20 minutes in. It's a very non-special non-window box. With four hours, I'd find a decent place in the terminal. Actually, I'd probably go to an airport hotel lobby!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.