Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with the lounge dragons at WAW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I think it was discussed on one of the Polish forums, that 40 percent of LO pilots are outsourced. They are self-employed and contracted to Company called Lotnik1, that contracts them to LO. Fairly Ryanair'sh practice IMHO.

Flying to FRA tommorow, I will try to see, if Lounge Rep's security badges show LO or another Company.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Flying to FRA tommorow, I will try to see, if Lounge Rep's security badges show LO or another Company.
Technicalities aside (they may be self-employed or whatever, just like the pilots and cabin crews) they're working for LOT, just like the crews. Those who wear them - do have the LOT uniform details (scarfs, ties). I don't recall seeing name badges on them, at least not most of them.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:03 am

I've just heard that the strike planned for May 1st is supposed to go ahead (LOT employees allegedly voted in favour of strike actions).

G
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
This makes me very glad I didn't go with LOT to get back from this weekend away.

Who'd have thought, it's gonna be OK with AF, but strike on LO
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:10 am

RMF FM has just confirmed that over 90% of [LOT] employees voted in favour of strike actions.

P.S.: not to come back to the Okęcie/Chopin's debate/saga, but the speaker on the radio also referred to it as warszawskiego Okęcia (when talking of potential issues at the airport this coming May 1st)

@Moderators - feel free to create a separate thread if you think that's necessary.

G
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Traveling May 2 and strike

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I've just heard that the strike planned for May 1st is supposed to go ahead (LOT employees allegedly voted in favour of strike actions).

G
Do you think departures from JFK on May 2 would be affected by the strike? LOT has never been good at notifying passengers of cancelled flights. How long is the strike supposed to last and what departments will it affect?

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by asnovici

Do you think departures from JFK on May 2 would be affected by the strike? LOT has never been good at notifying passengers of cancelled flights. How long is the strike supposed to last and what departments will it affect?

Thanks
It is really hard to say as even though it seems that the strike will go ahead as rumoured, it is not entirely clear (yet) whether the turnout at the recent internal 'referendum' has reached the 50%+1's required quota. What is certain at this stage is that the trade unions have indeed announced the strike and that, as such, there's potential for disruption. That said, we are not really used to LOT being on strike hence it is hard to establish what sort of contingency plan the management is prepared to put together, even though I'd be inclined to believe that those very few long-haul services would be 'safeguarded' in case. As we speak, it is all at cat & mouse's level, with the trade unions kicking off and the management saying that it ain't gonna happen.

G
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This could be bad... I doubt LOT would want their aircraft stuck on a nightstop for a strike starting 01 MAY which means I’d expect them to cancel the evening nightstops on 30 APR.

I don’t recall it ever being the case that striking crew just spend the days in their layover hotels?
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover
This could be bad... I doubt LOT would want their aircraft stuck on a nightstop for a strike starting 01 MAY which means I’d expect them to cancel the evening nightstops on 30 APR.

I don’t recall it ever being the case that striking crew just spend the days in their layover hotels?
I was wondering the same. How long is the strike supposed to last, BTW?

I'd imagine that most people with flights planned for Majowka will have a departure date before 1 May itself. Certainly a turn up for the books if LO staff (using the term loosely) go on strike. It's common that such strikes get averted at the last minute (as the main point is generally not to strike but to force concessions using the strike threat)... but the clock is ticking here.

Oh, and any of us that lose a flight owing to strike action should obviously be comped a year's extension to their status
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Oh, and any of us that lose a flight owing to strike action should obviously be comped a year's extension to their status
^
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:30 am

Strike actions are supposed to last over May 1st only, yet the details remain unknown or so it seems. In the meantime, the usual blaming game arising in such circumstances between management & unions is well underway and LOT's CEO has just spoken to the press calling the strike illegal but that in the worst case scenario they will do their utmost best in order to assist affected passengers.

G
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had cause to call LOT today and I mentioned the strike "There is no strike, its fake news " was the answer. I professed my support for the right to strike and she told me they hoped they would strike too... .
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
"There is no strike, its fake news "
The CEO's e-mail addressed to All-Staff must have arrived then

Originally Posted by Rafał Milczarski
Dear All,

With reference to the latest strike actions and relative rumours, I thought to reassure that this is merely fake news and mostly based on insinuation which have been started by the unions together with the press.

You may want to reassure our customers accordingly.

Respectfully,

RM

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Apr 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Went through this lounge twice this week and I was putting miles into one program but using another for access to the elite lounge. I was terrified I’d get caught out...

on the way out of the lounge both times I asked them to check the correct FF was in place and it was.

all flights have credited to the correct program.

...phew...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The dragons have really terrified you so much/ They must be something quite scary!
Lewis42 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.