Wiki Posts
Search

LH A380 lands in OAK, fog at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

LH A380 lands in OAK, fog at SFO

LH454 lands in OAK due to fog at SFO.

Fog density diverted the Airbus A380 and prompted the circling. Landing for fuel is routine when airports have a weather program in place. The massive plane landed in Oakland between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m. and the passengers remained aboard as it sat on the tarmac. With no ability to unload passengers in Oakland, the plane needed to get to SFO. It took off shortly after 3:30 p.m. and landed in San Francisco less than 15 minutes later. Oakland International is not equipped for a plane as large as the airbus. Creww brought forth a ladder but it fell short of the plane's doors.
Lufthansa plane circles SFO for 30 minutes, lands in Oakland, passengers sit in plane on tarmac - Story | KTVU
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:44 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Previous report.

LH flying A380 OAK-SFO
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Previous report.

LH flying A380 OAK-SFO
Previous incident.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:41 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
SMF would not have been much better facility-wise for A380.

I wonder why they did not go to LAX, although further from that direction.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If the aircraft is already low on fuel it wouldn't be wise to proceed to a busy airport like LAX much further away than OAK. It was never the intention to let pax disembark at OAK.
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:56 pm

It's hard to believe there's no way to get passengers off at OAK (aside from the slides). If SFO is out of commission, the plan is to land planes (LH, EK, BA, others?) at OAK, gas up and then go to LAX? How much could one A380-complaint set of stairs cost?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:56 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Troopers
LH454 lands in OAK due to fog at SFO.
[KVS Tool 8.7.7/Diamond - Operational Info: LH 454/12 Jan 2018]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
FRA-OAK          10:40      13:38      11:58
OAK-SFO          14:25      15:25      01:00

Segment          Flight Note
-------          ------------------------------------------------
FRA-OAK          Departure Terminal:  1
                 Ticket Type:         E-Ticket [ET]
                 ESTA REQUIRED FOR VISA WAIVER NATIONALS
                 FULLY FLAT BED IN BUSINESS CLASS. SEE WWW.LH.COM
                 SEC FLT PSGR DATA REQUIRED 72 HBD SSR DOCS
                 US LAW SEE GGAIRLH PNR ACCESS OR NEWS KEYWORDS
                 Cabin Configuration: F8 C78 E52 M371

Location  Time   Operational Event
--------  -----  ---------------------------
OAK       13:39  Aircraft Landed
OAK       13:46  Arrived
OAK       15:20  Estimated Time Of Departure
OAK       15:31  Left The Gate
OAK       15:38  Took Off
SFO       16:17  Estimated Time Of Arrival
SFO       15:52  Aircraft Landed
SFO       16:02  Arrived
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

12 miles has got to be a a record for a A380 rotation with full load pax on board
worldclubber and nnn like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
It's hard to believe there's no way to get passengers off at OAK (aside from the slides). If SFO is out of commission, the plan is to land planes (LH, EK, BA, others?) at OAK, gas up and then go to LAX? How much could one A380-complaint set of stairs cost?
It's not at all hard to believe.

Airports have to design special gates to handle the 380. There are only a handful in the U.S. that can take them.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not at all hard to believe.

Airports have to design special gates to handle the 380. There are only a handful in the U.S. that can take them.
Is there no such thing as A380 stairs?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Is there no such thing as A380 stairs?
There are, of course, stairs that are suitable for an A380. The question is just how often an airport needs them and how an airport such as OAK would handle the pax of a fully loaded A380.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I was in the A380 aircraft on Dec 27th when we landed at OAK from FRA under the same conditions. Reasons given were a) fog at SFO and b) need to refuel at OAK before continuing on to SFO. Refueling was conducted with pax onboard. There was never any discussion of allowing pax to disembark. Reason given was lack of U.S. customs support, nothing about stairs. (I'm sure they had customs personnel, but had no desire to process any pax or luggage, or to allow only certain pax to deplane.)

As coincidence would have it, I was to return from SFO to FRA yesterday via this A380 and had a nice wait for this aircraft to arrive at SFO from OAK. Very chaotic at SFO for those who already knew they would miss connecting flights from FRA. The support at SFO for those people didn't seem to be up to par. I'm fortunate to not have been in the situation of needing support for any onward flight.

It does make me curious. After personally experiencing this twice in two weeks, how often does this occur on this route? What are the costs (in profit, reputation, and customer satisfaction) involved? At which point does it become a mistake (if ever) to use such a large aircraft with the costs (in profit, reputation, and customer satisfaction) involved?

Last edited by Grog; Jan 14, 2018 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:37 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Grog
It does make me curious. After personally experiencing this twice in two weeks, how often does this occur on this route? What are the costs (in profit, reputation, and customer satisfaction) involved? At which point does it become a mistake (if ever) to use such a large aircraft with the costs (in profit, reputation, and customer satisfaction) involved?
I don’t know the stats, but IME, it’s not common for SFO not to be able to take landings due to fog. Much more common is that low clouds/visibility cause landing capacity to be reduced, and many flights delayed or canceled. However, even in those situations, long-haul flights tend to get priority, so the A380 would generally be little affected.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by worldclubber
There are, of course, stairs that are suitable for an A380. The question is just how often an airport needs them and how an airport such as OAK would handle the pax of a fully loaded A380.
It does make me curious. After personally experiencing this twice in two weeks, how often does this occur on this route?
It's pretty rare for SFO to divert an international long-haul flight. I would guess there was a combination of stronger than expected headwinds impacting the aircraft's fuel supply, and that the fog had an unexpected impact on the acceptance rate at SFO. Normally the long-hauls are accommodated by delaying inbound domestic flights to SFO.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:32 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I was in the A380 aircraft on Dec 27th when we landed at OAK from FRA under the same conditions.
[snip]
As coincidence would have it, I was to return from SFO to FRA yesterday via this A380 and had a nice wait for this aircraft to arrive at SFO from OAK.
[snip]
It does make me curious. After personally experiencing this twice in two weeks, how often does this occur on this route?
You must have been extremely unlucky. According to FR24 LH454 was diverted twice (both to OAK) in the last 12 months, on Dec 27th 2017 and Jan 12th 2018.
Kacee, Grog, 8420PR and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.