Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LH shower personell

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Low paid immigrants or refugees who are not fluent in either English or German (maybe even their first ever job in Germany)?

"You won a toof bus"? = "You want a toothbrush"?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Nic33
It is annoying indeed, but seems the fate of Europe, while the US is becoming spanish speaking. Swiss nationals used to speak (Swiss) German, French and Italian among themselves, but it is being replaced by English everywhere.
Interesting point. I’m glad I made the effort to learn all the Swiss languages (except Romantsch), need them in music anyway. Although my written German on the VFT forum is far from brilliant. I tend to agree with exbayern above that German should remain the first language though. I sometimes get vocally critical of all these Coffee To Go signs outside Pommes Buden in the Ruhrgebiet and elsewhere. But Kaffee zum Mitnehmen is a bit of a mouthful and to write it uses a heck of a lot more letters.

In MUC the shower ladies always seemed quite nice. Sometimes I stop to exchange a word or two, but I can’t remember if it was in German or English. FRA I can’t comment, I use that airport a lot less, Gott sei dank.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
While they aren’t fluent, IME their German and English are more than proficient, especially when it concerns basic terms, such as the most important Bad, Douche and Badente. Never had any problem communicating with the staff,. Treat them friendly and they will treat you like a valued customer.
Grog likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
My experiences are mostly in FCLs but I would say that the shower attendants I come across are almost always incredibly friendly, helpful, and often make a joke or two. In fact, the lady who usually works the showers in the main terminal MUC FCL is one of my favourite LH employees (whether she’s a contractor or not, I don’t know).

Some of the other ‘world’s best’ FCLs could learn a thing or two from the LH shower attendants..!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by vantage03
My experiences are mostly in FCLs but I would say that the shower attendants I come across are almost always incredibly friendly, helpful, and often make a joke or two. In fact, the lady who usually works the showers in the main terminal MUC FCL is one of my favourite LH employees (whether she’s a contractor or not, I don’t know).

Some of the other ‘world’s best’ FCLs could learn a thing or two from the LH shower attendants..!
+ 1 ^

Although for me the FCL & FCT Staff at FRA just edge it over MUC

In FRA & MUC their communication skills are just fine & they have the added burden of needing to understand about plastic Ducks 🦆
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
As an American who travels abroad quite a bit, I really love the LH lounge attendants. No they aren't totally fluent in English, but never remember having a problem with them communicating in my 25-30 plus times there.

For the staff approaching people in English as opposed to German, I don't know what to say other than it is an international airport and while I'm sure they mean no offense, you can simply replay back in German if wanted. I'm actually half German and I guess look somewhat German so I get some staff addressing me in German occasionally both on board and at the lounges. I'm flattered they would even think I would know a 2nd language)))))). Us Americans are so bad at languages I admit.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I feel a cringe of embarrassment when i read some of the comments in this thread - particularly those making making fun of the way shower and lavatory attendants speak.

Theirs is not a glamorous job, and i doubt that it is at all well paid. They ready the shower and toilet for you and clean up after you have used them. To complain they don't smile enough smacks of folie de grandeur.

I have no complaints at the attitudes displayed.
oliver2002, Grog, htb and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:44 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Flying from YVR I always have a layover in FRA for my connecting flight. Always use the shower to freshen up. Have never encountered rude or unfriendly staff. I have always been greeted with a smile. Am not overly concerned that they don't always speak English, perhaps I should learn to interact with them in their language especially if they are German, why should I expect them to speak English in their own country
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:56 pm

It's nothing really Germany-related. Job of cleaning ladies, even at an international airport, won't be done by some collegue-education-level people. They're doing their job, and are able to communicate with you. I didn't found them to be friendly either (we're talking about C/SEN lounge staff, not FCL/HON lounges.. for all the HONs here ) but I wouldn't really expect that. Yes, shower staff in, say, HKG, are trained to be more friendly (even though they're paid equally bad I suppose) than their counterparts in Europe, but then I don't want a friendly staff, but a clean (and preferably modern - looking at you, CPH) shower. And as long as they provide me with that, I'll happily ignore their very basic German and/or English skills.

The one point where I REALLY have issues with (and I know quite some members here too) are the third party "bouncers" in front of the C/SEN lounges in FRA/MUC, and basically that LH has now fully outsourced all their staff at their other lounges, to the point where they can't even help you with any ticket issues anymore.
Grog likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by vantage03

Agree Staff great helpful and sometime I even talk greek instead of German or ernglish
And love they give you more than 1 First Rubber Duckie upon request
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I feel a cringe of embarrassment when i read some of the comments in this thread - particularly those making making fun of the way shower and lavatory attendants speak.

Theirs is not a glamorous job, and i doubt that it is at all well paid. They ready the shower and toilet for you and clean up after you have used them. To complain they don't smile enough smacks of folie de grandeur.
Klofrau is one of the lowliest and yet one of the most important jobs in German society. I gladly pay my 50 cents (or sometimes now more at the Sanifair toilets) in order to have a clean, stocked toilet. The women performing the role are usually immigrants, and they tend to have great pride in their role. Just visit a toilet in a German shopping centre in December, vs in America in December, for example. As a woman, I truly value the Klofrau.
The Loneliness of the Klofrau: Toilet Training for Visitors - SPIEGEL ONLINE

The shower attendants are probably considered a step above in the hierarchy, but regardless they too perform a vital role well, and with pride. If only other lounges (ahen BA at LHR) were so well cared for...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Low paid immigrants or refugees who are not fluent in either English or German (maybe even their first ever job in Germany)?

"You won a toof bus"? = "You want a toothbrush"?
Purpose of this post? If it's to point out that low paid workers don't necessarily speak foreign languages very well, I know a highly-paid executive who says "busy-ness sholl" when he actually thinks he's saying "business school".
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Grog
Purpose of this post? If it's to point out that low paid workers don't necessarily speak foreign languages very well, I know a highly-paid executive who says "busy-ness sholl" when he actually thinks he's saying "business school".
I can top that with a fantastically intelligent (and fabulously good looking) Englishman who has ich bin von kopf bis fuss auf liebe eingestellt as his only contribution to German conversation.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's refreshing to see that most here are respectful of the lounge personnel who do our dirty work. It's been said that a society will be judged by how it treats its weakest members (attribution disputed).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's refreshing to see that most here are respectful of the lounge personnel who do our dirty work. It's been said that a society will be judged by how it treats its weakest members (attribution disputed).
I cannot see any disrepectful post in this thread. One should be able to comment on the quality of services, even if provided by lower wage employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.