Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HON award booking guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Sixt, Hertz, Europcar
Award availability as HON on Swiss

Has anyhon been able to book an award on Swiss when no award seats were available (HON award guarantee when there are still sellable seats in same service class like C,D,Z...)?

Regards

Christian
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by berenike
Has anyhon been able to book an award on Swiss when no award seats were available (HON award guarantee when there are still sellable seats in same service class like C,D,Z...)?

Regards

Christian

Yes and it works fine
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: LH Hon
Booking Guarantee

Christian,

Most of the times it works. - Sometimes there is a systems bug. Ask the HON Circle Service to call Swiss Capacity Control, and they will open the seat for you (in case there are sellable seats in that service class).

Roland
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:22 am

Programs: too many
HON award booking guarantee...

One of the privileges of the HON Circle is that award reservations are guaranteed as long as any seats in the corresponding service class are available. This also applies to persons (family) travelling with the HON in the same service class.

Now, I have a paid ticket (Thanks OS ;-) and need award tickets for the family. On those flights there were no regular award seats available. The initial reaction of the HON service was that the guarantee mentioned above only applies if I am also on an award ticket, but then they called back and it was OK.

Unfortunately the dates did not fit, so the old reservation has expired and I need that reservation with different dates.

And now I am told that it is not possible Even the supervisor cannot help.

Now, does anyone know if they are right (guarantee only if all fly on miles, including the HON) or if my interpretation is right (applies also to persons flying all the way in the same class of service as the HON)?

Thanks...
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:41 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
The booking guarantee for awards is for the HON plus for up to 3 companions, valid for BIZ and ECO only.

If you are on a paid flight, there is no booking guarantee for your family.

The reason it worked the first time was probably, that HON service succesfully tried to let things happen aside the rules. But you can't count on that.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Hardy
One of the privileges of the HON Circle is that award reservations are guaranteed as long as any seats in the corresponding service class are available. This also applies to persons (family) travelling with the HON in the same service class.

Now, I have a paid ticket (Thanks OS ;-) and need award tickets for the family. On those flights there were no regular award seats available. The initial reaction of the HON service was that the guarantee mentioned above only applies if I am also on an award ticket, but then they called back and it was OK.

Unfortunately the dates did not fit, so the old reservation has expired and I need that reservation with different dates.

And now I am told that it is not possible Even the supervisor cannot help.

Now, does anyone know if they are right (guarantee only if all fly on miles, including the HON) or if my interpretation is right (applies also to persons flying all the way in the same class of service as the HON)?

Thanks...
Unfortuneately, my understanding is that it only applies if the HON is travelling on award. HOWEVER, if you put it on waitlist with your HON number in the booking, chances are very high that it will clear almost immediately.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by 2035
Unfortuneately, my understanding is that it only applies if the HON is travelling on award. HOWEVER, if you put it on waitlist with your HON number in the booking, chances are very high that it will clear almost immediately.

Forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure you can use the SEN/HON premium award in this case, for 1.5 times the miles. I think that this was one of the recent changes.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:25 am

Thanks...
You were really lucky or more so HON service did the little extra thing which makes the programme great.

That is unfortunately the way it has been since the inception and since 2004 the people on the HON line in Kassel have agreed that this rule really irks a lot of HON would like to bring along family on a flight they have to take but there is no award availability.

Of course it is our interest as per LH interpretation as we otherwise would drag along collegues / employees on miles instead of buying expensive tix.

All for our own best ....

Cheers

Thomas
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What about if you just book yourself a second time, this time an award, together with your family.

Then in a few days you call and tell you cant fly anymore and they should cancel your ticket. Any success in this ?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What about if you just book yourself a second time, this time an award, together with your family.

Then in a few days you call and tell you cant fly anymore and they should cancel your ticket. Any success in this ?
Actually I think this is how the HON service did it the first time. At least the agent told me that that reservation was for four persons initially... On the other hand, when I suggested just this, the agent said that this may lead to a complete cancellation if detected.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try the waitlist first.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by 2035
Forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure you can use the SEN/HON premium award in this case, for 1.5 times the miles. I think that this was one of the recent changes.
Yes, I was offered that. Would cost me less though to just book the award for me too, since then Mrs Hardy goes for 50% and the kids still for only 75%. That´s way better than 3x150%....

Only the additional fees ("taxes") really bug me, since I would still also use the paid ticket to secure my status.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Actually I think this is how the HON service did it the first time. At least the agent told me that that reservation was for four persons initially... On the other hand, when I suggested just this, the agent said that this may lead to a complete cancellation if detected.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try the waitlist first.
The system that detects doublebooking runs not daily through each flight, just periodically. Also then it comes on the screen of a human to follow up. They wont just cancel a HON's reservation immediately without asking which booking you like to keep.

And all you need is a day to get the other tickets ticketed
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by tcswede
You were really lucky or more so HON service did the little extra thing which makes the programme great.
I totally agree and fully appreciate this unparalelled level of service.

That is unfortunately the way it has been since the inception and since 2004 the people on the HON line in Kassel have agreed that this rule really irks a lot of HON would like to bring along family on a flight they have to take but there is no award availability.
This is why I thought this is a great feature indeed.

Of course it is our interest as per LH interpretation as we otherwise would drag along collegues / employees on miles instead of buying expensive tix.
Agreed, I would not mind at all to have this limited to close family, to avoid this.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:04 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

Won't work -system checks if it was booked through guarantee --
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
Won't work -system checks if it was booked through guarantee --
Which is good IMHO. I think rules are rules and there should be no backdoor entries with some dirty tricks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.