Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating experience attempting to book M&M award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Frustrating experience attempting to book M&M award

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but currently I am trying to find any award availability for SFO-SIN (presumably on UA, SQ, or CX) and I have systematically gone through September and October 2018 without finding a spot.
The whole "we looked +/- 6 days and didn't find anything, please select other dates" is complete ........ from a user experience perspective. Just show me a calendar of when seats are available, that's not rocket science.

So, am I doing it wrong or is it really that hopeless?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
or is it really that hopeless?
:-:

Getting award space on either UA or SQ on that route is going to be very, very challenging.
zeer0 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you searching on the LH website? That does not allow you to book UA or CX online.

That said, you're going to have a really hard time finding J awards SFO-SIN on UA or SQ. Maybe one stop on BR, NH, or OZ.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Well that explains it, user error after all. I did indeed try to book via Miles & More web. I suppose I need to call?
The good news is that I have all the flexibility in the world, I literally don't care when I travel. I just need to burn those M&M miles as I am not adding to them in any meaningful way.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:37 am

You might want to try the United website. Since you are looking for *A partner awards anyway the availability United.com lists will be pretty much the same you would see on the Miles and More website - with better search options.

When you have found suitable flights you still need to call in and hope the Miles and More Agent can see the same availability. For me it works like 90% of the time ...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
UA is keeping tight control of award and upgrade availability on these flights given the convenience. You may also want to check out LAX-SIN, which is a newer route, and from what I hear anecdotally, has more upgrade space avail (and hence maybe more award space).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
Well that explains it, user error after all. I did indeed try to book via Miles & More web. I suppose I need to call?
In my experience, the Miles & More website has serious problems with North America-Southeast Asia award flights. Can't get anything into/from Indonesia/Thailand/Vietnam etc. The nearest one can get is Hong Kong, usually wide open with BR and NH one-stops.
Somehow the LAX-SIN SQ flight (I believe it stops in ICN), and connections to/from this flight to nearby SQ mainline destinations such as CGK/DPS/MNL/SGN, sometimes show up, but not connections on the LAX side.

Last edited by monahos; Dec 11, 2017 at 3:43 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:34 am

You usually find more flights when you search sector by sector.
You should search SFO to the hubs of Star members (BKK for Thai, TPE for EVA, Tokyo (both airports) for ANA, ICN for Asiana and so on) and then from there to SIN. Make sure yoru connection is under 24 hours (otherwise they charge miles for both parts separately). Also keep in mind that most likely they will charge for a 3 region award if your connection is in a different zone which makes the award very expensive (but for the same amount of miles you could connect in Europe which opens up a lot more possibilities)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
You should search SFO to the hubs of Star members (BKK for Thai, TPE for EVA, Tokyo (both airports) for ANA, ICN for Asiana and so on) and then from there to SIN. Make sure yoru connection is under 24 hours (otherwise they charge miles for both parts separately). Also keep in mind that most likely they will charge for a 3 region award if your connection is in a different zone which makes the award very expensive (but for the same amount of miles you could connect in Europe which opens up a lot more possibilities)
Bear in mind that of the *A hubs listed above only BKK is in the same region as SIN if you are redeeming M&M miles.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:34 am

You usually find more flights when you search sector by sector.
The problem is when airlines apply married segment logic. And I think at least UA does now for awards.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:54 pm

Also keep in mind that most likely they will charge for a 3 region award if your connection is in a different zone which makes the award very expensive
This must be why the Miles & More online award booking site only lists that 'direct' SQ LAX flight for NA-SEA itineraries, as any other routing transits another region, and the SFO nonstops are not made available. Does anyone know if transit via East Asia qualifies for the mileage levels listed under their award chart, if booking by phone?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:37 pm

The M&M.com used to offer US - Asia awards with the transit in Europe on integrated carries so the third region rule doesn't seem like an obstacle to book (that was before they opened up to serve the other star carries though).
And the third region surcharge is valid no matter how you book the reward, so calling in won't overwrite it.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by monahos
This must be why the Miles & More online award booking site only lists that 'direct' SQ LAX flight for NA-SEA itineraries, as any other routing transits another region, and the SFO nonstops are not made available. Does anyone know if transit via East Asia qualifies for the mileage levels listed under their award chart, if booking by phone?
Not quite, this flight touches a 3rd region (NRT/ICN), but it runs under 1 flight number that doesn't change so that allows to bypass the 3 region rule. Not many of those flights around and J will be pretty hard to find (if any).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:13 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you searching on the LH website? That does not allow you to book UA or CX online.

That said, you're going to have a really hard time finding J awards SFO-SIN on UA or SQ. Maybe one stop on BR, NH, or OZ.
Indeed, there are plenty of connecting options, e.g.:

[KVS Tool 8.7.5/Diamond - Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA-Auto]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
MON  03 Sep 2018 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
OZ         211     SFO   23:30     ICN   04:00 +2  359  0   CS+
 -> SQ     607     ICN   09:00 +2  SIN   14:20 +2  333  0   CS+
OZ         211     SFO   23:30     ICN   04:00 +2  359  0   CS+
 -> OZ     751     ICN   16:10 +2  SIN   21:30 +2  333  0   CS+
NH         7       SFO   12:15     NRT   15:20 +1  77W  0   CS+  YS+
 -> NH     803     NRT   17:00 +1  SIN   23:15 +1  788  0   CS+  YS+
NH         7       SFO   12:15     NRT   15:20 +1  77W  0   CS+  YS+
 -> NH     801     NRT   18:05 +1  SIN   00:15 +2  789  0   CS+  YS+
[KVS Tool 8.7.5/Diamond - Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA-Auto]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
WED  05 Sep 2018 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
BR         27      SFO   01:20     TPE   05:50 +1  77W  0   CS+
 -> BR     225     TPE   07:40 +1  SIN   12:00 +1  77W  0   CS+
BR         27      SFO   01:20     TPE   05:50 +1  77W  0   CS+
 -> BR     215     TPE   09:25 +1  SIN   13:50 +1  77W  0   CS+
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:57 pm

As stated earlier, TPE, NRT and ICN all trigger a different region surcharge with M&M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.