FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1603583-pilot-strikes-autumn-fall-2014-a.html)

pkerr Aug 25, 2014 1:35 pm

This just in from the WSJ...
http://online.wsj.com/articles/lufth...lks-1408985956

"The union said it would announce any strikes the day before they take place."

And this from the Guardian: "Raimund Mueller, head of flight operations at Munich, said he believed the pilots would give 24 hours' notice of any strike and that any action would not be as widespread as April's nationwide strike"

Whatever that means.

Germanfflyer Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Well 14 days is a general rule for legal stuff in a lot of contexts - what strikes me was that on a Friday afternoon the announcement was made also with the note that strikes might be averted if LH management gives positive signals.....

So you have to give LH - 1 week and you need like 2 days prior to announce - so far all strikes were on weekends - so the weekend of September 6th seems like a natural...

But I admit not to have any evidence for this theory!

pkerr Aug 25, 2014 1:54 pm

I would appreciate it if you people would quite mentioning September 6th. OK? ;)

Germanfflyer Aug 25, 2014 2:26 pm

:D ;)

oliver2002 Aug 26, 2014 1:28 am

I'm flying home from ORD the night on Sep 7 with family, so lets not mention that weekend, shall we? :p

LH had a press conference yesterday, but from what I can see it didn't get much traction in the press. The stock market reacted a bit in the morning, but not by much. The major TV news and radio just reported that LH is prepared and that the train unions and VC agreed not to strike on the same day. How nice.:rolleyes:

YuropFlyer Aug 26, 2014 1:57 am

6th September would give me a chuckle - I'm booked on a LX long haul (which looks fairly open right now) that day - but with LH going on strike, it would make for a lovely airport fight for whatever left on LX.

N1003U Aug 26, 2014 3:08 am

I am flying LH on the 3rd, 8th, 10th, 12th, 26th, and 29th, so a strike between the 12th and about the 23rd or 24th would be ideal for me. :p

Seems to me if there is a job action the first week in September, those here in this thread will have a lot of experiences to report...

TRAVELSIG Aug 26, 2014 3:26 am

Originally Posted by N1003U (Post 23424879)
I am flying LH on the 3rd, 8th, 10th, 12th, 26th, and 29th, so a strike between the 12th and about the 23rd or 24th would be ideal for me. :p

Seems to me if there is a job action the first week in September, those here in this thread will have a lot of experiences to report...

No No, I am flying LH on the 20th, 23rd, and 24th so those dates won't work for me either- can you have your assistant send a message on to LH and more importantly VC with the updates? Maybe they can use Google calendar to see who the strike will work best for ;) ?

malmostoso Aug 26, 2014 4:08 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 23424939)
Maybe they can use Google calendar to see who the strike will work best for ;) ?

I created a Doodle so everybody can inform LH and the Pilots Union.

Abducted Alien Aug 26, 2014 5:59 am

Is this possible strike for September and/ or for October as well?

pkerr Aug 26, 2014 6:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 23424608)
I'm flying home from ORD the night on Sep 7 with family, so lets not mention that weekend, shall we? :p

Finally!! Someone is talking some sense.^:D

flyingfkb Aug 26, 2014 6:53 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 23425029)
I created a Doodle so everybody can inform LH and the Pilots Union.

^ ;) That is a great idea. The pilots already want to coordinate their strikes with the train conductor union which wants to go on strike, too. They agreed to strike on different dates. So they might include us frequent travelers in their coordination, too.

And I second that the 6th would be a very bad idea.

YuropFlyer Aug 26, 2014 7:16 am

The Doodle should include your status, so that HON counts 3x, SEN 2x, FTL/*G 1x :D

tys90 Aug 26, 2014 7:28 am

Flying LH the 6th AND 7th on a UA award. A strike that weekend would likely be a disaster for me. I was hoping for more than 24 hours notice because I don't think that will help me at all.

RTW1 Aug 26, 2014 7:51 am

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 23425737)
Flying LH the 6th AND 7th on a UA award. A strike that weekend would likely be a disaster for me. I was hoping for more than 24 hours notice because I don't think that will help me at all.

The strike is not about your needs :-).

kanor Aug 26, 2014 8:05 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 23425673)
The Doodle should include your status, so that HON counts 3x, SEN 2x, FTL/*G 1x :D

Whoah whoah wait, what about the stars **** !?! :cool:

pkerr Aug 26, 2014 8:43 am

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 23425737)

Hmmmmm... 6th and 7th? Me too. On UA points as well!
I've got the overnight flight from YUL - MUC.

JCary Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am

Is the strike going to be continuous or intermittent?!

Rambuster Aug 26, 2014 11:32 am

New negotiations have been set for Thursday.
I wouldn't expect a strike this week.

pkerr Aug 27, 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 23427136)
New negotiations have been set for Thursday.
I wouldn't expect a strike this week.

This week?!?!:eek:
I'm talking about next week. Let's hope they either agree on something by the 6th or at least they keep talking until then.

Germanfflyer Aug 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Sorry but they will not keep talking - I doubt that!
If Thursday fails - the the strike will be on the weekend of September 6th just as I predicted earlier - and to be honest I think the Thursday meeting is just a masquerade for them to "show" they tried again....
Unless LH puts out a new offer nothing is going to stop them from a strike!

oliver2002 Aug 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Its seems they are now only discussing the pension fund issues, the increase is no longer on the table: http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...lufthansa.html

kanor Aug 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Odd question:
I have an airfasttickets.de booking for the sept5-7 weekend, MUC-BRU r/t. If the strike is happening around that time, who should I call for refund/reroute? AFT is in a semi-bankruptcy and is suspended by IATA so I doubt they can do much with my ticket. And the complicate things the flights are SN coded, LH operated and 082 ticket stock. (yes yes I know, but it was too cheap)

Germanfflyer Aug 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Always the operating carrier!

Gus2013 Aug 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Just heard on the radio that Germanwings pilots will be striking Friday (Aug 29) morning!

TMD666 Aug 27, 2014 11:29 pm

http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...gust-2014.html

YuropFlyer Aug 28, 2014 1:32 am

The good thing about creating all those wings: Whenever one of them is on strike, it's not affecting the whole company.

The bad thing: It will happen even more frequently that way :D

JCary Aug 28, 2014 6:52 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GS0A620140828

mmff Aug 28, 2014 8:04 am

Originally Posted by JCary (Post 23437343)

Like their colleagues in other Lufthansa units, the pilots at low-cost carrier Germanwings want the management to maintain the scheme that allows them to retire early at 55 and still keep some of their pay until they reach the age at which state pension payments start.
Quite amazing.

ak0329 Aug 28, 2014 8:36 am

will this effect flights to Germany from the states on Monday?

mmff Aug 28, 2014 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ak0329 (Post 23437872)
will this effect flights to Germany from the states on Monday?

4U does not fly from or to the US, so you should be safe regarding tomorrow's strike action.

sperrgepaeck Aug 28, 2014 9:01 am

Rumors of possible Pilot strikes in September

Hi, flying tomorrow LHR-FRA-DRS on LH. Due to the 4U strike I expect some disruptions. Will it be best to have my FTL or A3*G in the booking for better disruption prio, just in case? It's an award ticket X in Eco... Thanks!

huegli Aug 28, 2014 9:34 am

Stupid question: Germanwings has nothing to do with Lufthansa Cityline, right ? We have a flight ZRH-MUC under an LH flight number which is operated by Lufthansa Cityline.

NewbieRunner Aug 28, 2014 11:07 am

Current travel information

Pilot union announces intermittent strikes

Cockpit, the pilot union, has announced it intends to strike on 29th August between 6 am and midday.

The strike will have a considerable impact on flight operations to and from Germany and on domestic German connections.

Germanwings has released a replacement flight shedule. Please check here, if your flight is affected.

Where there are delays, we would ask passengers to be at the airport at the latest two hours before the new departure time.

Passengers affected by flight cancellations can rebook to a different date or cancel their flight free of charge regardless of the fare originally booked. You can also rebook or cancel after the strike by phone, online or on your mobile.

Germanwings flights operated by Eurowings will not be affected by this strike. Please check your flight status regularly.

--

Free Rebooking and Cancellation

If your Germanwings flight is cancelled, you can change the date or cancel it free of charge by going online both before and after the scheduled departure time.

--

Please note:

If your booking is an etix® ticket number (e.g. 220-1111111111), if you booked a Germanwings flight at Lufthansa.com or with one of our partner airlines, please contact Lufthansa or the partner airline's reservation agency to change your flight date.

If you booked your flight via a travel agency, please contact them directly.

--

Alternative transport with Deutsche Bahn

If your domestic Germanwings flight is cancelled, you can use a different mode of transport, Deutsche Bahn, for example. You can purchase a rail ticket yourself at station ticket offices or using Deutsche Bahn's ticket machines. Please note in this case, in principle Germanwings will only refund the original flight fare, meaning you may incur extra costs. This principle is also valid for other modes of transport. If you are already at your departure airport, you can acquire your tickets from the Germanwings ticket desk.

flyingfkb Aug 28, 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by huegli (Post 23438199)
Stupid question: Germanwings has nothing to do with Lufthansa Cityline, right ? We have a flight ZRH-MUC under an LH flight number which is operated by Lufthansa Cityline.

Nope germanwings and Cityline are two different things. Only flights with 4U flight numbers will be affected. 4U does not operate out of FRA and MUC, so no worries there.

vinonobile Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm

no opinion on the possible strike(s) really, but slightly annoyed with the reporting by the German media.
The general tenor even of respected news outlets is "how do they dare do that during summer holiday season?"

jason8612 Aug 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Wow.
I got my flight tomorrow (29th) KRK-FRA LH1367. Looks like I should be unaffected by this.

YuropFlyer Aug 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 23438764)
If your domestic Germanwings flight is cancelled, you can use a different mode of transport, Deutsche Bahn, for example. You can purchase a rail ticket yourself at station ticket offices or using Deutsche Bahn's ticket machines. Please note in this case, in principle Germanwings will only refund the original flight fare, meaning you may incur extra costs. This principle is also valid for other modes of transport.

New low from Lufthansa Group..

But wouldn't have expected anything else from them..

Safe the pennies, lose the pound!

flyingfkb Aug 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Question: If you have booked a ticket via a travel agency and the flight you booked is canceled by the airline and you want to change your flight who do you need to contact?
A) The travel agency?
B) The airline you bought the ticket from via the agency?
C) The airline which operates the flight, in case it is not the same airline as in B?

Germanwings writes on its website: In case you bought the ticket via a travel agency you have to call the travel agency to rearange the flight.

I think this is nonsense. The travel agency is just an intermediary. I hold a contract with the airline so the airline has to take care of me and not some clueless travel agency.

Am I right?

LETTERBOY Aug 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by vinonobile (Post 23439281)
no opinion on the possible strike(s) really, but slightly annoyed with the reporting by the German media.
The general tenor even of respected news outlets is "how do they dare do that during summer holiday season?"

What's wrong with that? They've (the news media reporting that) got a point.