Search
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eefor jfp
LH since 2008

First:
"D" de Devaux Brut oder "Rare" Piper-Heidsieck
Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top
2010 Laurent Perrier Brut, (oder Perrier Jouet Grand Brut)
Louis Roederer Brut Millésimé
2011 : Champagne Louis de Sacy Grand Cru Brut
2010 & 2011: 2000 Champagne Laurent-Perrier Millésimé
2012: "D" de Devaux Brut und Laurent Perrier Brut
2013 occassionally 1999 Cuvee Louise, Champagne Pommery
May 2013 (revamp F service) : Taittinger Grand Cru Brut Prelude
September 2013: 2005 Comtes de Champagne Taittinger or Champagne Alfred Gratien
April 2014: 1995 Blanc des Millenaires Champagne, Charles Heidsieck,
April 2015: 2007 Champagne Taittinger Brut Millésimé, Champagne Taittinger
May 2015: 2007 Vintage Brut, Champagne Louis Roederer
May 2015: 1999 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery
August 2015: Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Grand Siècle
June 2016: 2007 Taittinger Millésime
July 2016: 2002 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery
December 2016: Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Grand Siècle
March 2017: 1998 Cuvée des Enchanteleurs, Champagne Henriot, Frankreich
June 2017: 2003 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery
July 2017: Cuvée Grand Siècle, Champagne Laurent-Perrier, Frankreich
August 2017: Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Brut Rose 2006
September 2017: Alfred Gratien Cuvée Paradis
Novenber 2017: 2007 Taittinger Brut Millésimé
February & March 2018: Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery 2003 (actually one flight was 2002 though menu shows 2003)
May 2018: 1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires
June 2018: Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Grand Siècle
September 2018: Jahrgangschampagner Cuvée Louise, Pommery
July 2019: Henriot 2000; Laurent Perrier Alexandra Rose 2004; Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
January 2020: 2004 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery, Henriot 2000
February 2020: 2004 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery, Henriot 2006
October 2021:
2004 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery, Laurent Perrier Alexandra Rose 2004 (on the wine card but not stocked; replaced with Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle)

Business:
Jacquart Brut Mosaique
Piper Heidsieck Brut
seit mai 2013 Champagne Duval Leroy Brut
May 2014: Champagne de Castelnau Brut Réserve, Frankreich

LH Group:
Austrian: Duval-Leroy Fleur de Champagne Brut
Brussels: Laurent Perrier Brut
Swiss: Laurent-Perrier Grand Siècle (First)

Others:
TG & SQ Dom 99
NH Krug
JL Champagne Salon

Print Wikipost

Wine & Champagne in Lufthansa First?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chris63
Yesterday in a full F cabin on 747-800, including 4 'VIP's', it was Smirnoff Red label

Cheap Champagne, very cheap Vodka & cheap Caviar, is there a pattern forming here in Lufthansa First Class ?
Who flies to eat or drink? Being safe, being on time and being able to sleep well is all i care. By spending $200 in a restaurant I can get better food and wine than any airline is able to serve in the skies.
I do not understand al the fuss about the catering on planes. On 80% of my flights I consume nothing but still water.
S
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
Who flies to eat or drink? Being safe, being on time and being able to sleep well is all i care. By spending $200 in a restaurant I can get better food and wine than any airline is able to serve in the skies.
I do not understand al the fuss about the catering on planes. On 80% of my flights I consume nothing but still water.
S
You're missing the point. First Class began on ocean liners and pampered passengers with the best food and drink money could buy.

The whole philosophy was that this is how the ultra-rich lived at home, and they expected the same when they traveled.

With jets crossing the ocean at the speed of sound, the whole experience has been condensed into less than a dozen hours. The cost of a F ticket today is about the same as first class passage on an ocean liner almost a hundred years ago - adjusted for inflation.

Is it too much to ask for an airline to serve a wine commensurate with a fine meal at a nice restaurant?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by macabus
You're missing the point. First Class began on ocean liners and pampered passengers with the best food and drink money could buy.
The whole philosophy was that this is how the ultra-rich lived at home, and they expected the same when they traveled.
With jets crossing the ocean at the speed of sound, the whole experience has been condensed into less than a dozen hours. The cost of a F ticket today is about the same as first class passage on an ocean liner almost a hundred years ago - adjusted for inflation.
Is it too much to ask for an airline to serve a wine commensurate with a fine meal at a nice restaurant?
+1
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:01 pm

Since it is only 12 hours or so I am much less interested in wine and dine, than I would be on a 7 day journey on a ocean liner. I pay the money to get from A to be with as little hassle as possible, not to eat and drink. Given the conditions on a plane (low humidity and air pressure, lack of decent wine glasses etc), wine will anyhow never taste as good as on the ground (or on an ocean liner for that matter). And reheating prefabricated food will never result in a memorable dining experience.
S
LondonElite likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:10 am

Since it is only 12 hours or so I am much less interested in wine and dine, than I would be on a 7 day journey on a ocean liner. I pay the money to get from A to be with as little hassle as possible, not to eat and drink. Given the conditions on a plane (low humidity and air pressure, lack of decent wine glasses etc), wine will anyhow never taste as good as on the ground (or on an ocean liner for that matter). And reheating prefabricated food will never result in a memorable dining experience.
S
You make perfectly valid points. So based your needs/wants I would recommend flying in the business cabin, not first.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by will2288
You make perfectly valid points. So based your needs/wants I would recommend flying in the business cabin, not first.
And on United.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by will2288
I get more personal space in First and it is usually more quite. ENough reasons for me to fly F when I can.

Originally Posted by SFO777
And on United.
I actually like the UA First seats. Their linen sucks however and the fact that you do not get a PJ is strange for F. However I aleays carry my own (LH F) PJ....
S
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LH4116
Planning to down 8 bottles again?
I did that on an SQ TPAC in April.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
S
And why do you impose your preferences on others? First Class is an offer where people select the services they want. You can pick all or none, it's just there whenever whereever.

And while I agree that most people will just sleep, I agree with Chris63: I cannot put cheap stuff (and I mean cheap and not inexpensive) like Smirnoff Red in First Class. Lufthansa in May realized that and upgraded the beverages significantly. Very disappointing to see that they are going cheap again.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Yesterdays LH456 FRA-LAX had only the Alfred Gratien It is Non Vintage, not a Grand Cru but it is cheap
Yesterday in a full F cabin on 747-800, including 4 'VIP's', it was Smirnoff Red label

Cheap Champagne, very cheap Vodka & cheap Caviar, is there a pattern forming here in Lufthansa First Class ?
Why does everybody believe that price results in a tasteful wine or champagne in heights of 30000 feet and above......???
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
S
So nobody told you what Fish do in water & you never heard of the scandals relating to certain famous brands of bottled water ? Issues you don't have with Champagne

I certainly am interested in dining in First Class on flight of 12 hours & more, do you expect me to fast ?

I also expect Lufthansa to provide quality food & beverage on my First Class flights considering how much the tickets cost !

Currently their 'penny pinching' in F is unacceptable & not what I experience with LX, TG, EK & SQ
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why does everybody believe that price results in a tasteful wine or champagne in heights of 30000 feet and above......???
I don't believe they do, however generally quality does cost

The current F Champagne, Alfred Gratien, IMHO does not taste good in the air or on the ground, what is undisputable is that it is cheap
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:55 am

I certainly am interested in dining in First Class on flight of 12 hours & more, do you expect me to fast ?

I also expect Lufthansa to provide quality food & beverage on my First Class flights considering how much the tickets cost !

Currently their 'penny pinching' in F is unacceptable & not what I experience with LX, TG, EK & SQ
Of course you can eat, I am just surprised that anybody believes that there could be truly good food 30,000 feet above the ground. Given the limitations of the kitchens in the sky and your taste buds, it will always be a disappointment for people who expect a gourmet meal. You can eat to fill your stomach, taht's about it. I have had my fair share of F flights on many different airlines and there are very few memorable meals. (Lufthansa serving Spargel paired with a nice Sauvigon Blanc is one of them).
S
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Of course the reality is that the "caviar" LH serves is farmed paddlefish or spoonbill roe - which is dirt-cheap compared to the real thing.

I never touch the stuff. Or any farmed fish for that matter.
I hope you don't touch 'real' caviar, either. Caspian Sea sturgeon are on the verge of extincton from overfishing.

Better for LH to serve farmed caviar than to contribute to the extinction of a species.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:51 pm

man, you just don't get it...

Of course you can eat, I am just surprised that anybody believes that there could be truly good food 30,000 feet above the ground. Given the limitations of the kitchens in the sky and your taste buds, it will always be a disappointment for people who expect a gourmet meal. You can eat to fill your stomach, taht's about it. I have had my fair share of F flights on many different airlines and there are very few memorable meals. (Lufthansa serving Spargel paired with a nice Sauvigon Blanc is one of them).
S
you seem to believe that that the fact that an altitude of 30.000 ft has an impact on taste means that cheap sh*t (like vodka costing 6$ a bottle) is as much a treat as quality stuff.
that's rubbish and repeating it again and again will not make this silly idea turn into a pearl of wisdom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.