Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: Swiss LX Business vs Lufthansa LH New Business [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Advice: Swiss LX Business vs Lufthansa LH New Business [merged]

So I am looking at booking award tickets from HKG->FCO.

For the main leg of the trip, it seems I can do HKG->ZRH on LX J or HKG->FRA on LH New J (747-8i).

I've flown LX J once before, and found the seats very comfortable. Meal/service was fine (though not anything that memorable), but I thought the IFE was borderline bad (at least compared with UA -- which is most of my J cabin experience).

I'm wondering if I'd like LH's new product any better? At least the IFE seems updated. I don't think the "footsie" issue with the seats will bother me, as I'm traveling with my spouse. But then again, I haven't heard many folks praise the new LH business seat or experience. Conversely, most people seem to like LX business seat/experience.

So...I'm wondering if anyone has done both and can share opinions/advice? Is this a no-brainer?
Old May 14, 2013, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flagler1
So I am looking at booking award tickets from HKG->FCO.

For the main leg of the trip, it seems I can do HKG->ZRH on LX J or HKG->FRA on LH New J (747-8i).

I've flown LX J once before, and found the seats very comfortable. Meal/service was fine (though not anything that memorable), but I thought the IFE was borderline bad (at least compared with UA -- which is most of my J cabin experience).

I'm wondering if I'd like LH's new product any better? At least the IFE seems updated. I don't think the "footsie" issue with the seats will bother me, as I'm traveling with my spouse. But then again, I haven't heard many folks praise the new LH business seat or experience. Conversely, most people seem to like LX business seat/experience.

So...I'm wondering if anyone has done both and can share opinions/advice? Is this a no-brainer?
If flying by yourself- I like the LX option as there are individual seats (no one sitting next to you).
Old May 15, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have done both and I would go for LX:
Service/Food is about equal (OK but usually not outstanding), but the new LH seat is not nice, as it offers less privacy, is too short for me to sleep well, not wide enough and the proximity of the feet and also your lower legs to your neighbors' is irritating.
The LX C cabin also offers more privacy, as there is a smaller number of seats.
In terms of IFE, although LH has a bigger screen, I was not particularly impressed. But I am satisfied with 1-2 good movies and 1-2 sitcoms/documentaries per flight, which both LX and LH offer.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
I flew both recently, and can only recommend LX. I could not get a good sleep in LH seat.
Only advantage of LH is possible internet connection, so you can consider LH on the dayflight. But not sure whether it works for HKG. If not, then LX both ways.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Ok, sounds like LX it is. Thanks for the advice!
Old May 16, 2013, 9:28 am

I would have to pay a fee to switch flights to LX, $75 if I remember correctly. Would it be worth switching from LH new C to LX?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by herzmeh
I would have to pay a fee to switch flights to LX, $75 if I remember correctly. Would it be worth switching from LH new C to LX?
Haven't flown LX C, but I was more impressed than others with LH new C. Found the seat quite comfortable, and slept very well. Food and service was top notch as well. IFE is improved, and there were enough choices. So if you haven't flown the new C yet, you may very well like it.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Advice: LX Business vs LH New Business (747-8i)

You may save some of the fee based on lower taxes via ZRH. If they don't want to adjust the taxes you can cancel and book again, same fee.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
LH or LX Business Class

Maybe this has been talked about before i am flying to London out of LAX i have the option to fly LH in C or LX in C what is better
Thank you
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:52 am

If it's the old LH C: Definitely LX
If it's the new LH C, I would still go with LX, but the difference is smaller.

But I would probably chose BA or Virgin Atlantic
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
I think is the new C in LH but in terms of service who is better
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The OP is UA GS, so probably wants to fly on *A airlines.

LAX-FRA is currently served by the 748i with new Business seats. LAX-MUC is on the 346 and new Business is not guaranteed though highly likely.

Non-stop LAX-LHR on Air New Zealand is worth considering.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
I think is the new C in LH but in terms of service who is better
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...alifornia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...ss-747-8i.html
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Just had a flight YUL-ZRH on LX C A330. Even the throne seat was cramped and rather uncomfortable foe sleeping, with restricted foot room due to the narrow foot cubby. Would not recommend. Havent flown LH new C, but looks more open and comfortable, albeit also with slightly narrow foot room.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Plenty of seats on LX with more foot space.... and when traveling alone the single seats are way better in my opinion than having someone next to you and having your feet almost connecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.