FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   eVoucher upgrade... or not? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1390520-evoucher-upgrade-not.html)

pianoamit Sep 23, 2012 10:03 am

eVoucher upgrade... or not?

My OH (SEN) went to great lengths to book a LH upgradeable ticket to visit the fam in JNB over XMas... I managed to get S (upgradeable according to the M&M website) on the outbound. He only really bought this ticket for the possibility of upgrading. So I used his 2 eVouchers to request an upgrade for him, and we got an e-mail saying that he has been waitlisted.

What is at this point the normal procedure? I have status on ST and OW, but except for the BD match that I had until things dissolved, I have little experience on *A. Are these things likely to clear for SENs? Are there blackout periods (particularly after Sep 1, which I understand is a universal day of mourning:p) during which no awards/upgrades are available? Is the upgrade availability the same as the award availability?

Thanks
pianoamit

iainbhx Sep 23, 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by pianoamit (Post 19368993)
My OH (SEN) went to great lengths to book a LH upgradeable ticket to visit the fam in JNB over XMas... I managed to get S (upgradeable according to the M&M website) on the outbound. He only really bought this ticket for the possibility of upgrading. So I used his 2 eVouchers to request an upgrade for him, and we got an e-mail saying that he has been waitlisted.

It took 5 months for my last upgrade to move from the waitlist to success and I only found out by accident as I was not emailed about it.

pianoamit Sep 23, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by iainbhx (Post 19369092)
It took 5 months for my last upgrade to move from the waitlist to success and I only found out by accident as I was not emailed about it.

So... just keep checking? When is the last moment at which it can go through?

DFW-SEN Sep 23, 2012 10:53 am

If you booked the ticket through Lufthansa you will get an e-mail when wait list clears. Ih ave waited between 3 months and 3 minutes (the last upgrade I requested from D to O on an A380 yesterday cleared within 3 minutes).
S

pianoamit Sep 23, 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by DFW-SEN (Post 19369248)
If you booked the ticket through Lufthansa you will get an e-mail when wait list clears. Ih ave waited between 3 months and 3 minutes (the last upgrade I requested from D to O on an A380 yesterday cleared within 3 minutes).
S

thanks...

NewbieRunner Sep 23, 2012 11:38 am

I believe awards to JNB at Christmas are difficult to get.

Originally Posted by iainbhx (Post 19369092)

Wasn't yours an upgrade from C>F rather than Y>C?

Originally Posted by pianoamit (Post 19369113)
So... just keep checking? When is the last moment at which it can go through?

You may want to check this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...y-updated.html

Once OLCI starts and seating is under airport control I believe all waitlist requests are cancelled and must be requested again if still not cleared.

I think waitlisting for awards for SEN is an unofficial perk (with the possible exception of A380 F) but it still seems to work from time to time. Y to C upgrades with eVouchers (or miles) seems to be one of the very few remaining published HON perks left. I have a TATL booking in S which I managed to upgrade with eVouchers to try out the new Business on 748i on flights which did not show any C award availability. :)